Gun Control 5

Stubby

What you say sounds reasonable, until I remember which some of the nations that ban private ownership of guns, are.

There are plenty of examples of countries without a ban that still have a lot lower incident rate, most of Europe to start with. Of course all weapons tend to be heavily regulated (but I don't think actually banned anywhere), and self-defence is often not considered a valid reason to own a gun.

Amazed at how some politicians and media people are still primarily blaming movies or games as creating a culture of violence. Wow. Have none of these people traveled abroad? Do they think only Americans play shooting games, make violent movies? Was "Battle Royale" made in America? Name a country that has a movie theater and I'll show you a country where people can see extremely bloody movies.

This so called 'culture of violence', is not an American monopoly. Mental health problems aren't either. The only difference is, in only a few countries are Glocks and Sigs so easily available and cheap to buy, the gun lobby is too powerful, and people take an outdated, twisted, and out-of-context 2nd Amendment on par with the right to breathe air.

Americans think they are King Shit, and no one had better get in their way. When someone does - it is time for gunplay.

Oh yeah, well a large number of Europeans weren't complaining about that in 1941-1945. Of course, maybe you hail from the other side, or maybe you would have enjoyed living under the Third Reich.

It takes its place along with such notables as China, Romania and others. Not surprising considering some of its other laws, but I won't stray that far off topic.

That doesn't work like ou seem to think it does.

If the UK sits among that group, along with diverse states like China and Romania, then it's obviously not a policy confined to any particular type of state, unlike what you imply.

Oh yeah, well a large number of Europeans weren't complaining about that in 1941-1945. Of course, maybe you hail from the other side, or maybe you would have enjoyed living under the Third Reich.

You really need to read more.

It takes its place along with such notables as China, Romania and others. Not surprising considering some of its other laws, but I won't stray that far off topic.

Romania? One of the newest members of the European Union. What about it? Talking about count Dracula, perhaps? ;)

And, as Shryke pointed out, it doesn't work like that. The mere fact, that a certain law is implemented in a number of countries that are not, say, protecting human rights, does not automatically mean that law is wrong. The more important, this particular one simply works, resulting in limiting the number of gun homicides.

While some view items like magazine size restrictions, more strident background checks, better mental health services, and stricter licensing procedures as halfway measures--unlikely to have an effect, for me, just as with other mass shootings, the benefit (which is basically saving lives by making it a little more difficult for mentally ill people to kill dozens of people in an instant with a magic flick of the finger) far outweigh the downside---which, as far as I've been able to understand it is, "FIGHT FUR OUR FREEDOMZZZ! U GONNA TAKE MAH GUNZZZ"

I view my country's rabid gun element with mild disgust, since they seem to view horrible tragedies like these as an acceptable price for unrestricted* access to a tool whose SOLE FUCKING PURPOSE is to kill with the flick of a finger.

*our current restrictions are a bare-minimal joke, IMO

ETA: what weird to be re-reading Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett, something I started a week earlier. Anyway, this will be the only time I will weigh in on this topic.

ah yes, WW2, 1941 - 1945, cheers for turning up, late!

in the UK you can't even carry a spoon in the street, if its for self defence. and we have a pretty good record in wars thanks very much.

well, you're opinion on America being the king shit is somewhat nationalistic and essentially incorrect.

I think the United States has a lot to be proud of. Yes, that is nationalistic, but it's supported by facts.

Please do not assume that the only precaution I take, is to have a gun. There is an alarm system covering all potential points of entry. That alarm triggers multiple strobe lights designed to impair the intruders vision. If he proceeds, anyway, to the room where I am likely to be, it is obvious that his intent isn't burglary. I'll also have the advantage of knowing where he must enter, he will be back-lighted and without knowledge of my exact location and type of cover and concealment I'll be using.

That sounds wicked mate. You should have the alarms trigger some music on as well and provide vodka and MDMA.

Make it a proper party.

Except you're advocating for armed teachers FLOW. No one said anything about goddamned police or security guards.

Hey you're right. I thought that he was talking about the police or guards ................. but no, this is him moving the goal post to score some cheap points:

A group of neighbors and I are going to the next School Board meeting to push for a licensing/certification/training program permitting a teacher or school administrator to be armed.

Basically because once you look across the border it is easy to see that the US death rate to firearms is an anomaly. So there is probably a whole set of readily available solutions to prevent a large fraction of those deaths. In other causes of death that anomaly might not be present.

which border :cool4:

btw, there are people getting their face hacked off on that other border (besides the usual rape&torture that is)

Where were you in 1939 and 1940, Hero? The war didn't start on December 7th.

Do you see you're milking the cow at both ends.

1. You whine about us coming late to the show.

BUT

2. You say how you could have handled it by yourselves. Which sounds like we didn't have to come to the show at all.

Archived