Margaery: Was Renly There First?

Heir to His House

“Lord Tyrell loves me not,” Grand Maester Pycelle said in gloomy tones when the Hand

had departed. “This matter of the moon tea … I would never have spoken of such, but the

Queen Dowager commanded me! If it please the Lord Regent, I would sleep more soundly

if you could lend me some of your guards.”

It seems I misinterpreted what was said. It's not clear whether Pycelle told the Queen what she wanted to hear or that indeed he was telling the truth about the moon tea.

Margery had to be a maid for Joffrey. It would be infinitely cleaner and easier for the sake of the Lannister/Tyrell alliance that she be so. As we know, Olenna was already concerned about a 'Kingslayer stew' with Loras, Margery, and Joffrey. If Joff was lead to believe, and be assured, that even -Renly- had taken her before him, he may have screwed up the wedding entirely out of sheer Joffrey-ness like he did with Ned Stark. The 'Renly's ghost' that drove away Stannis also had a virgin bride. It's easy to make things up regarding the dead. They can't very well refute you, and the living are committed to the lie because it makes governing and holding power easier.

Archived