Game of Thrones Season 3 to Run Longer

Westeros

The third season of Boarwalk Empire had some great moments. Season 2 is still the weakest for me. There's got to be less CGI involved with Boardwalk Empire that's why it might be cheaper to make it. Contrast that with Game of Thrones where a lot of the locations and scenes are enhanced by CGI (as seen in their FX reels on YouTube, which are very revealing).

The third season of Boarwalk Empire had some great moments. Season 2 is still the weakest for me. There's got to be less CGI involved with Boardwalk Empire that's why it might be cheaper to make it. Contrast that with Game of Thrones where a lot of the locations and scenes are enhanced by CGI (as seen in their FX reels on YouTube, which are very revealing).

There are VFX in Boardwalk Empire:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/dumbo-biz-brainstorm-martin-scorsese-team-hbo-project-boardwalk-empire-article-1.393946

But I would guess they are not as extensive as for GOT.

One thing Empire kind of tells a real story but it's finite , not to say GOT can run forever ... depending on George :)...

I guess there is a fourth season of Empire coming? but I can't see it running 7...

I still find HBO's profits still kind of murky since they are more international now and that has supposedly been successful.

^^ Wow I didn't know about these FX used in Boardwalk Empire. Will watch these if there are YouTube copies. I thought Boardwalk Empire was mostly set designs (with the boardwalk as the main set piece).

HBO relies on subscription though, and HBO's been in business as a cable channel for as long as I can remember (first got cable at home during 3rd grade and I'm not in the US). I think international distribution is easier for them this way and they get subscription fees in other territories.

No way the Purple Wedding is in S3. If it is I'll be very disappointed as they haven't cast any of the Dornish. Plus there isn't enough time to set it up properly and it would leave S4 a bit light. But I'm not too worried about it, as I think there is about a zero chance of being in S3.

No way the Purple Wedding is in S3. If it is I'll be very disappointed as they haven't cast any of the Dornish. Plus there isn't enough time to set it up properly and it would leave S4 a bit light. But I'm not too worried about it, as I think there is about a zero chance of being in S3.

The Dornish aren't strictly necessary for the wedding. Oberyn actually turns up to take his seat on the small council. If they do go for the 8/9/10 triple wedding hit, things will admittedly be tight, but I think there should be enough time with these extra minutes. There's no need to worry about season 4 either, there's plenty of available material after the PW.

Yes, the Dornish aren't important in PW in general, but I think Oberyn should not be cut from PW and he hasn't been casted yet, if I remember correctly. His presence lends to him being one of the possible poisoners (although no one in the books actually voiced such a suspicion). Although if they are straightforwardly playing it as a Tyrell plot, then yes, no Oberyn needed.

Yes, the Dornish aren't important in PW in general, but I think Oberyn should not be cut from PW and he hasn't been casted yet, if I remember correctly. His presence lends to him being one of the possible poisoners (although no one in the books actually voiced such a suspicion). Although if they are straightforwardly playing it as a Tyrell plot, then yes, no Oberyn needed.

I doubt there'll be much ambiguity. From the sounds of things they'll be padding out the KL arc quite a lot, no doubt with a lot of behind the scenes political scheming that will make everyone's motivations much clearer.

I doubt there'll be much ambiguity. From the sounds of things they'll be padding out the KL arc quite a lot, no doubt with a lot of behind the scenes political scheming that will make everyone's motivations much clearer.

Now that I think of it, making the motivations clearer, especially of the Tyrells, would suit TV more since a lot of suspicion on Oberyn are just based on context clues (it will overcomplicate a TV arc). Plus more Olenna Tyrell is welcome in my books.

I, however, just remembered that Oberyn needs to be in Kings Landing to become Tyrion's champion. That's why I speculate that the PW and Dorne plots will be in S4.

Now that I think of it, making the motivations clearer, especially of the Tyrells, would suit TV more since a lot of suspicion on Oberyn are just based on context clues (it will overcomplicate a TV arc). Plus more Olenna Tyrell is welcome in my books.

I, however, just remembered that Oberyn needs to be in Kings Landing to become Tyrion's champion. That's why I speculate that the PW and Dorne plots will be in S4.

Indeed he does need to be in KL, but so long as he turns up for Tyrion's trial it's no problem. It would have to be Jaime who meets with Oberyn, but from then on the story could continue as in the books.

Great news! More time to have Dany remind us that shes going to take back what is hers, Robb and Talisas "love story" that nobody cares about, and a number of other things the producers will decide to change up just for the sake of changing things.

They mention how they need special permission to go over 60 minutes. No special permission to make drastic (and worse) changes to the story though?

re: the weddings, what if they were to merge Tyrion/Sansa & Purple together, make it a double wedding, and make the events that unfold 100x more dramatic: would everyone object to this?

edit: no need to worry about who's missing. there's enough characters in KL right now that can plot Joffery's death.

The biggest clues that the Purple Wedding isn't happening this season are the placement of Sansa & Tyrion's wedding, and the fact that Oberyn hasn't been cast. Sure, he doesn't have to be at the P.W., but he's a fan-favorite character who will translate incredibly well on television - D&D will be looking to maximize his role, not minimize it. Not to drag that argument here, but yeah... It's not happening this season, and when it doesn't and the season works perfectly fine without it, we'll all look back on these discussion with fond memories. Or maybe not, but whatever.

Great news! More time to have Dany remind us that shes going to take back what is hers, Robb and Talisas "love story" that nobody cares about, and a number of other things the producers will decide to change up just for the sake of changing things.

They mention how they need special permission to go over 60 minutes. No special permission to make drastic (and worse) changes to the story though?

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

Newstar wrote: Did you catch the glimpse at 1:04 of Tyrion, Cersei and Tywin seated around a table. There are other shots of them in the same frame as well. Tyrion, Cersei and Tywin in the same room! Yesssssss.

This is probably the scene in which Tywin proposes Tyrion's wedding and tells Cersei that she must marry again as well. I think I also caught a glimpse of Kevan at that same table. This in no way indicates the PW will be in S3 as you suggest. The vlog also shows Osha in the woods with what looks to be Bran with his legs covered (or Rickon waking from sleep?), so there will obviously be significant changes to/padding of the Bran/Rickon/Osha/Meera/Jojen/Hodor arc beyond the changes required to introduce the Reeds, and we already know that there will be padding in the KL arc, giving the Tyrells some expository time, so there is NO WAY in any of the Seven Hells that the PW will be in S3! :bang: Please, no more whining about the changes needed to turn a long and complex literary piece into the visual feast that is GoT on HBO. It is essentially the same story told a different way, like listening to your family history told by Great Uncle Joe on one side and Grandma Martha on the other. I for one welcome the additional visual and auditory components. Much like interacting in the forums, it adds to my appreciation of the sumptuous world that GRRM's genius has given us. Can't wait for the extra minutes!!! :drool:

Newstar wrote: Did you catch the glimpse at 1:04 of Tyrion, Cersei and Tywin seated around a table. There are other shots of them in the same frame as well. Tyrion, Cersei and Tywin in the same room! Yesssssss.

This is probably the scene in which Tywin proposes Tyrion's wedding and tells Cersei that she must marry again as well. I think I also caught a glimpse of Kevan at that same table. This in no way indicates the PW will be in S3 as you suggest. The vlog also shows Osha in the woods with what looks to be Bran with his legs covered (or Rickon waking from sleep?), so there will obviously be significant changes to/padding of the Bran/Rickon/Osha/Meera/Jojen/Hodor arc beyond the changes required to introduce the Reeds, and we already know that there will be padding in the KL arc, giving the Tyrells some expository time, so there is NO WAY in any of the Seven Hells that the PW will be in S3! :bang: Please, no more whining about the changes needed to turn a long and complex literary piece into the visual feast that is GoT on HBO. It is essentially the same story told a different way, like listening to your family history told by Great Uncle Joe on one side and Grandma Martha on the other. I for one welcome the additional visual and auditory components. Much like interacting in the forums, it adds to my appreciation of the sumptuous world that GRRM's genius has given us. Can't wait for the extra minutes!!! :drool:

I agree with this. With the Bran stuff from ACoK being in, and more Tyrell stuff being added, I don't see the PW being in S3. I think it'll be in episode 3 or 4 of season 4, with the epilogue of book 3 being episode 6 or 7. Then the last 3-4 episodes of S4 will be early AFfC/ADwD stuff.

P.S.: I have a [deceased, never met him] great uncle named Joe and a grandma named Martha so your post made me go WTF.

Don't forget the other story arcs...

Jon has to win over Mance, march to the Fist and have his little episode there. He has to be sent down to the Wall with Styr and Co. He has to develop a romance with Ygrette (cave scene?). Climb the wall... overlap w/ Bran at Queenscrown (will this be cut?), run back to the Wall, warn Noye and Co. and then protect the gate. I assume this battle is where this arc will end. There's too much ahead to cut it sooner and this is more than enough for one season.

Then we've got to have Sam's travels north of the wall too... those will also take significant time.

Bran's story is also expanded.

We haven't even touched, Arya's storyline. They added Beric and Thoros for good reason. It will take a while to introduce the BWB. I do wonder what they'll do w/ Arya at the Twins as she starts running low on material after that.

We need to keep updated as to Stannis' story too... Davos needs to be thrown in jail for a bit then raised to Hand. He has to learn of the attack and sail north... I always thought this seemed rushed in the book, so I expect to see it expanded here.

Oh, Jaime and Brienne in the Riverlands will need airtime as will Dany... she will take at least 1 city if not 2....unsullied, prophecies, dragons etc...

Count me firmly in the no PW in S3 crowd. There's just no need to cram it in there.

The KL storyline has so much richness to develop with the Tyrells and Martells. Why rush it? I want to see Lannister family dynamics and dysfunction. I want to see LF plotting. I want to see Sansa dreaming of marrying Garlan only to have Tywin outwit everyone and marry her to Tyrion. I want to see Tyrion rage against his impotency now that Tywin is in town. I want to see Cersei throw shitfits... and I want to see them lose control of Joffrey. Set him up as a monster even more so. (NOTE: not his cruelty... the hooker scene was enough... but lets make him power hungry and starting to try to push his family around...)

This will make the PW an even better whodunit for season 4... let Joff get killed in episode 3 or 4 after we meet the Martells.... there will be no limit of suspects... Tyrion, Tywin, the Tyrells, the Martells and the best reveal 5 episodes later will be LF telling us he did it....

Archived