Game of Thrones Season 3 to Run Longer

Westeros

HBO really seemed to have taken a back seat to Showtime. I think GOT is putting them back in full contention. But they still need another huge hit to stay on top.

These are some OK GOT shirts I found by the way.

http://www.zazzle.co...848748308851863

http://www.zazzle.co...273214542736529

I wish they had something like this in their store: http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/6291737/il_fullxfull.331845753.jpg :drool:

HBO really seemed to have taken a back seat to Showtime. I think GOT is putting them back in full contention. But they still need another huge hit to stay on top.

Uh, this is completely wrong. Both Homeland and Dexter have done well for Showtime this year as far as ratings go, but neither of them do as well as Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, The Newsroom, or Game of Thrones.

If we're talking about quality, Showtime still doesn't have it. I really enjoyed the first season on Homeland (even if I didn't think it should have won the Emmy for Best Series), but season two ended up being a huge disappointment. You'll see it on a lot of Top 10 lists (along with several HBO shows), but nearly every critic mentions that they made that decision before seeing the last few episodes. Girls, Treme, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Enlightened, The Newsroom, Veep - all of these shows are getting love from television critics.

If any network lcompetes" with HBO, it's AMC. With both Breaking Bad and Mad Men ending within the next two years, however, things aren't looking up for them. The Walking Dead is a ratings monster, but it isn't a very good show. Hell on Wheels and The Killing are both very mediocre. And the rest of their programming is reality TV.

In 2013, HBO will air:

Girls

Enlightened

Game of Thrones

Eastbound & Down

Family Tree

Hello Ladies

True Blood

The Newsroom

Veep

Boardwalk Empire

Treme

That's not counting their original films and the mini-series (Paradise's End) airing this year, or their sports programming, documentaries, or original specials.

So yeah, Showtime simply can't "compete" with HBO, at the moment.

The wedding will be our cliff hanger at the end of the season, that's my prediction.

Thats my theory too.

It's great news that the actual episodes are going to be running a bit longer as well. Not that that'll help the god awful wait between seasons any though.

Uh, this is completely wrong. Both Homeland and Dexter have done well for Showtime this year as far as ratings go, but neither of them do as well as Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, The Newsroom, or Game of Thrones.

If we're talking about quality, Showtime still doesn't have it. I really enjoyed the first season on Homeland (even if I didn't think it should have won the Emmy for Best Series), but season two ended up being a huge disappointment. You'll see it on a lot of Top 10 lists (along with several HBO shows), but nearly every critic mentions that they made that decision before seeing the last few episodes. Girls, Treme, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Enlightened, The Newsroom, Veep - all of these shows are getting love from television critics.

If any network lcompetes" with HBO, it's AMC. With both Breaking Bad and Mad Men ending within the next two years, however, things aren't looking up for them. The Walking Dead is a ratings monster, but it isn't a very good show. Hell on Wheels and The Killing are both very mediocre. And the rest of their programming is reality TV.

In 2013, HBO will air:

Girls

Enlightened

Game of Thrones

Eastbound & Down

Family Tree

Hello Ladies

True Blood

The Newsroom

Veep

Boardwalk Empire

Treme

That's not counting their original films and the mini-series (Paradise's End) airing this year, or their sports programming, documentaries, or original specials.

So yeah, Showtime simply can't "compete" with HBO, at the moment.

This, times a million. Showtime's a joke compared to HBO and AMC, especially if you're talking about actual quality programming and not just ratings.

This will make the PW an even better whodunit for season 4... let Joff get killed in episode 3 or 4 after we meet the Martells.... there will be no limit of suspects... Tyrion, Tywin, the Tyrells, the Martells and the best reveal 5 episodes later will be LF telling us he did it....

I didn't quote your whole post because it was quite long, but I just want to say that reading it changed my opinion. I believe you are correct, the wedding will be season 4 because there is SO MUCH still to develop with each character. Very well put, I couldn't have said it better myself.

R. R. is writing episode 7 called "Autumn Storms". Does anyone know what that refers to?

In last season he wrote "Blackwater" that was pretty obvious about the content.

What does he mean by a Storm?

Many people speculated the storms prior to the Red Wedding and the Queenscrown events.

While I am happy with any "additional" GoT we receive, I really wish we could have 12 or 13 episode seasons. Unfortunately as things currently stand that doesn't seem to be a possibility...

"I would say that, going forward, 10-episode seasons are really all that are possible, given our 12-month [production] cycle," Weiss said. "For this show specifically, it's really all we can do to do 10 of them in a year. I would say not to expect more than 10 a season any time in the near future ... We had always planned on a 10-episode season [for the show's third year]."

'Game of Thrones' Third Season: How Many Episodes Will There Be?

So seemingly the only way we could get more episodes is if we waited longer in between seasons.

I remember waiting 18 months-2 years between some seasons of The Sopranos. It wasn't because of logistical issues like with GoT, but rather contractual stuff and the fact that Sopranos' creator David Chase was basically allowed to set his own schedule, like Larry David with Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I would have no problem waiting something like 12 or 16 months in between seasons (rather than the current 10 months) if it meant we could get 12 or 13 episodes.

R. R. is writing episode 7 called "Autumn Storms". Does anyone know what that refers to?

Many people speculated the storms prior to the Red Wedding and the Queenscrown events.

I believe you're correct, Crown. Benioff & Weiss have long stated their intentions to personally handle the RW episode, so the RW won't occur in GRRM's "Autumn Storms." I would anticipate the RW taking place in episode 8 or 9. Ned's execution and the Battle of the Blackwater both occurred in their respective season's penultimate episode, so I would bet that there's a good chance that'll again be the case this coming season with the RW.

so we're guessing at this point that the Red Wedding will take place in or around the penultimate episode of Season 3 (makes sense in my mind, total cliffhanger moment) and that the Purple Wedding (i've never heard it called that before. but it's hilarious, if it's a reference to a particular colour the choking person may have turned! HA!) will take place mid-4th season?

ooooohhh it's all just SO exciting!

RW is Episode 9, that's confirmed.

PW is very much up for debate. I hope and think it will be early S4, but there are many others who feel it will be Episode 10 of S3 and have some well-reasoned arguments why.

It's all but confirmed that the PW will not be in season three. Anyone who still believes that it is and/or will be, simply hasn't been following the production information leaks. Mace Tyrell hasn't been cast, and neither has Oberyn. No extras have even vaugely "confirmed" that the scene has been shot, unlike every other major scene (RW; Unsullied; Tyrion & Sansa marriage, etc.). I never thought it would (or should) be, and it's all but certain not to be. I'm as excited for the fourth season as I am for the third, because a lot of my favorite moments in ASoS happened post RW, and because Oberyn is one of my favorite short-term characters in the entire series.

I believe RW will be this season and PW will be next season. I think the plot of RW and PW will be this season. Sansa and Tyrion's wedding will be this season. Jon loosing his V-card will be this season. I saw some hints of the cave scene in the Vlog episodes.

It's all but confirmed that the PW will not be in season three. Anyone who still believes that it is and/or will be, simply hasn't been following the production information leaks. Mace Tyrell hasn't been cast, and neither has Oberyn.

The sacking of Winterfell just cannot happen in season 2: the Reeds haven't been cast, Ramsay hasn't been cast....

Oops...

:)

It's all but confirmed that the PW will not be in season three. Anyone who still believes that it is and/or will be, simply hasn't been following the production information leaks. Mace Tyrell hasn't been cast, and neither has Oberyn. No extras have even vaugely "confirmed" that the scene has been shot, unlike every other major scene (RW; Unsullied; Tyrion & Sansa marriage, etc.). I never thought it would (or should) be, and it's all but certain not to be.

Well, I agree. I just said there are some reasonable arguments to the contrary :)

I'm as excited for the fourth season as I am for the third, because a lot of my favorite moments in ASoS happened post RW, and because Oberyn is one of my favorite short-term characters in the entire series.

I think I'm actually more excited for S4. If they end the season the way Storm ended, it's going to be absolutely crazy.

That said I'm super excited about S3 :)

Archived