References and Homages

Ran

I've mentioned this one before.

Dany's marriage to Khal Drogo is very likely a reference to the Nibelunglied, where Kriemhild marries Attila the Hun in hopes of revenging the death of Siegfried.

The Painted Table may be a reference to Quin Shi Huang Di, China's "First and Foremost" Emperor, who began the Great Wall, and had them start counting the years from his reign. Among his many activities, while planning the uniting of the seven nations of China (that's right--seven nations) was the creation of a map which showed them as one country.

The Baratheon brothers happen to be very similar to the brothers York--Edward, Richard, and Clarence--during the War of the Roses.

Here is one I'm always shocked no one mentions. I guess many people don't have a love for the classics outside Scifi and Fantasy.

"[Arya] wished the poacher hadn't died. He'd known more about the woods than all the rest of them together, but he'd taken an arrow through the shoulder... Tarber had packed it with mud and moss from the lake, and for a day or two Kurz swore the wound was nothing, even though the flesh of his throat was turning dark while angry red welts crept up his jaw and down his chest. Then one morning he couldn't find the strength to get up, and by the next he was dead" (p221 ACOK).
Edited by Artanaro

I've posted this in the 'inspirations' thread, but I thought it might be better suited here. AFFC spoilers:

SPOILER: AFFC
I drew a parallel, even though it's probably just a coincidence, between Cat of the Canals and Molly Malone, the protagonist in a Scottish/Irish song called 'Cockles and Mussels'.

Comparing the line '...crying "Mussels and Cockles and Clams" as she wheeled her barrow through the Ragman's Harbour.' with the lyrics of the song, '...wheels her barrow/ Through streets/ Broad and narrow/ Crying,/ Cockles and mussels, alive, alive-oh'

http://www.contemplator.com/ireland/cockles.html

and there are a few similarities, even if probably just a coincidence.

Edited by King oop North

On the matter of House Vance, I right away thought of Hugo Gernsback (after who the Hugo award is named) when I saw the name Hugo Vance, even though I'd not picked up on the earlier Vance references.

Hyannisport MA, home of the Kennedys seems to be the influence in name, if nothing else, of Lannisport.

I also have to wonder if Gerald Dayne and his sword Dawn are in fact mirrored off of Michael Moorcock's Dorian Howkmoon nad his Sword of the Dawn.

SPOILER: AFfC
p. 176

"Grand Maester Pycelle told Cersei that she had not lost a son, but rather gained a daughter."

This is a reference to Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail, where the King of Swamps Castle says pretty much the same thing.

How about GRRM and Ernst Junger. Junger's first book, Storm of Steel (the name of which is quite similar to Storm of Swords) featured some of the most graphic and close up looks at the fighting in WWI, and the style of his writing seems similar to the ways that some of the battles are depicted.

Also, Junger wrote another book, Fire and Blood which just happen to be the Targ words.

Not sure if this is accurate or not, but House Grell comes up a number of times. In conjunction with the Green Arrow references in the heraldry, this may reference comic writer/artist Mike Grell - the man who reinvigorated Green Arrow with his Longbow Hunters story arc.