References and Homages

Ran

The Conquistadores basically exterminated all the indigenous population, while Aegon like William simply defeated the previous rulers.

That is untrue at all.

Nowadays, in Latin America you can find an high percent of indigene and mixed-blooded population.

You can't say the same about Anglo Saxon America.

Edited by sentence

I'm sure this has been stated somewhere in this thread, but Darkstar could be a tip of the cap to the epic and dynamic Grateful Dead tune. I also find it interesting that GRRM's wife, Parris, lists her location as "Terrapin Station, New Mexico" Maybe there's a Dead fan or two in that house.

Edited by AtoningUnifex

Reaching all the way back to the OP for this but... Out of idle curiosity, I'm wondering how many of these will make it into the HBO series? Some, of course must, I'd think. A perfect example would be:

- "Samwell: Speculated to be a nod to J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, which contains the character Samwise Gamgee. Both characters share the diminutive Sam and both are loyal and steadfast to a friend (Samwell to Jon and Samwise to Frodo)."

But I'd simply love it if, say, some of these survived the transition:

- "Lharys, Mohar, and Kurliket": Reference to the Three Stooges, Larry, Moe, and Curly.

- House Jordayne of the Tor: A nod to Robert Jordan, who is published by Tor. The arms of the house include a quill, referring to his writing. SPOILER: AFfC :The lord of the House is Lord Trebor, whose name when reversed reveals "Robert".

- SPOILER: AFfC Archmaester Rigney: An archmaester who wrote time is a wheel. This is a reference to Robert Jordan and his Wheel of Time series. Jordan's real name is James Rigney.

As well as many others mentioned in this thread. I know I'll be looking for the shout outs.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a theory, as I do my re-read of AFfC: and don't crucify me if this has already been mentioned, but I'm really not going through 25 pages of posts just to satisfy myself.

There's a scene with Littlefinger and Sansa in which he's detailing his plans to marry her to Harry the Heir. I believe at the beginning of the conversation he's talking about how his plans are now being rushed, and he would have prefered about 5 years to get things to the point where he was ready to set things in motion.

Anyone else think this is GRRM speaking through Littlefinger? The "5 year fast-forward" that we've all heard so much about and which GRRM had to abandon? Anyone else pickin' up what I'm puttin' down?

Just a theory, as I do my re-read of AFfC: and don't crucify me if this has already been mentioned, but I'm really not going through 25 pages of posts just to satisfy myself.

There's a scene with Littlefinger and Sansa in which he's detailing his plans to marry her to Harry the Heir. I believe at the beginning of the conversation he's talking about how his plans are now being rushed, and he would have prefered about 5 years to get things to the point where he was ready to set things in motion.

Anyone else think this is GRRM speaking through Littlefinger? The "5 year fast-forward" that we've all heard so much about and which GRRM had to abandon? Anyone else pickin' up what I'm puttin' down?

Someone posted that recently in a thread called something like "LF Channeling GRRM?" It's a nice theory, though.

I'd say that's a definite wink wink nudge nudge to the fans.

Just read the Hedge Knight and Baelor Breakspear reminds me of Edward the Black Prince. The interaction between Dunk and him especially reminded me of the Heath Ledget movie A Knight's Tale. Some parallels also between their untimely deaths throwing the succession into disarray

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this:

Yes, where is he, the champion and the child

of all that's great or little, wise or wild?

Whose game was empires, and whose stakes were thrones;

Whose table, earth - whose dice were human bones?

Byron, The Age of Bronze

Edited by Hamster of Doom

Probably inspiration in the same way that the Black Dinner inspired the Red Wedding but Robb Stark in the War of the Five Kings and Hannibal Barca in the 2nd Punic War have many similarities.

1. Robb was undefeated in battle, Hannibal was undefeated on Italian soil.

2. Robb lacked the necessary siege equipment to take Lannisport and the Rock, Hannibal lacked the necessary siege equipment to take Rome.

3. Robb improbably crossed the mountains and avoided the Golden Tooth thereby stunning the Lannisters, Hannibal improbably crossed the Alps thereby stunning the Romans.

4. Robb is the son of one of the main commanders in the previous big war (Robert's Rebellion) and learns to distrust Lannisters from his father, Hannibal is the son of one of the main commanders in the previous big war (The 1st Punic War) and learns to distrust the Romans from his father.

5. The most effective strategy against Robb turned out to be simply trying to hem him in and not engage in direct conflict as he needed decisive victories to continue his momentum and he had fewer resources than his opponents, the most effective against Hannibal turned out to be simply trying to hem him in and not engage in direct conflict as he needed decisive victories to continue his momentum and he had fewer resources than his opponents.

6. Robb tries to take the war to the Lannisters on their home turf but he ultimately needs to return to his lands due to politcal considerations and because his homeland has been invaded from the sea by the Ironborn, Hannibal tries to take the war to the Romans on their home turf but he ultimately needs to return to his lands due to politcal considerations and because his homeland has been invaded from the sea by the Romans.

7. A signature of Robb's strategy is to engage in bold, decisive maneuvers that often involve trapping or surprising his enemies (often through the use of his superior light cavalry[blackfish's outriders]), A signature of Hannibal's strategy is to engage in bold, decisive maneuvers that often involve trapping or surprising his enemies (often through the use of his superior light cavalry[Numidians])

Probably been mentioned, but:

Selwyn the Evenstar (very similar name to Arwen the Evenstar)

"You were made to be kissed, often and well." Jorah to Dany

"You should be kissed and often and by someone who knows how." Rhett Butler to Scarlet, Gone with the Wind.

Watched Conan the barbarian recently and noticed that one of the opponents Conan faced in the fighting pit was a man with sharpened teeth who bit his opponents. Also, Conans romantic interest was named Valeria who died at the hands of Doom.

Wow. ;)

I'd be very amused if he made good on his threat to do away with "Teo" and "Romo". "Teo" would be T.O. aka Terrell Owens, former Dallas Cowboys receiver and general pain in the ass. "Romo" would of course be Tony Romo, current QB for the Cowboys. GRRM is of course a huge Giants fan and he hates the Cowboys more than any team in the NFL. Great writer, poor fan. :P

That is untrue at all.

Nowadays, in Latin America you can find an high percent of indigene and mixed-blooded population.

You can't say the same about Anglo Saxon America.

Wow. It is estimated that at the time of the conquest the Americas' the population was larger than that of Europe. There should be a significant majority of indigenous population, as there is no way the European settlers ever represented all of Europe. European disease and the war for conquest did with a huge percentage of this population. In places such as the southern cone the indigenous & mixed population is lower then 3%.

Edited by AlfredAndrew

I've seen Darkstar referenced here in relation to the song by the Grateful Dead. As something of a Deadhead, I thought I would throw this out there as there are some...interesting parallels.

Dire Wolf

Lyrics by Robert Hunter, Music by Jerry Garcia

In the timbers of Fennario

the wolves are running round

The winter was so hard and cold

froze ten feet 'neath the ground

Don't murder me

I beg of you don't murder me

Please

don't murder me

I sat down to my supper

T'was a bottle of red whiskey

I said my prayers and went to bed

That's the last they saw of me

Don't murder me

Please

don't murder me

When I awoke, the Dire Wolf

Six hundred pounds of sin

Was grinnin at my window

All I said was "come on in"

Don't murder me

Please

don't murder me

The wolf came in, I got my cards

We sat down for a game

I cut my deck to the Queen of Spades

but the cards were all the same

Don't murder me

Please

don't murder me

In the backwash of Fennario

The black and bloody mire

The Dire Wolf collects his due

while the boys sing round the fire

Don't murder me

Please

don't murder me

Has GRRM ever said anything about listening to the Grateful Dead?

How about in AFFC, in the first Cersei chapter when she is complaining about the "SPOILER" smile on Tywin's corpse how Pycelle is useless she says "That man is as useless as nipples on a breastplate" Could this be an illusion to the nipplegate that hounded the Batman movies? (Batman and Robin I believe) where they had nipples on their armor and fans and critics everywhere ridiculed the film for it? I think there's a good possibility...

Dolorous Edd also uses this analogy in ACoK: "Dolorous Edd opined that glass knives were about as useful as nipples on a knight's breastplate, but Jon was not so certain."

I think it's entirely possible that GRRM is referring to the Batman "Nipplegate" controversy surrounding the Joel Schumacher film (and the codpieces, ugh)...the movie came out in 1997, and ACoK was published in Nov 1998, if I'm correct?

More of a reversed reference, but I've always thought that Ser Pounce-a-Lot in Dragon Age : Origins was clearly inspired by Tommen's kitty Ser Pounce, who appears in Feast I think. Especially since ASoIaF has had quite a bit of influence on the DA:O world.