References and Homages

Ran

My memory is a bit hazy, but does anyone remember a certain "Fell Winter" from the history of the hobbits in the beggining of the Lord of the rings? It was a winter where the Shire was attacked by direwolves. Can someone confirm this for me? I don't have a copy of LotR on hand.

Yes, it was the Fell Winter. At the time of LOTR, it had not occured in living memory, except for Bilbo. The Brandywine froze and wolves invaded the Shire over the ice.

I don't believe they were noted as direwolves, but it's still an interesting parallel. GRRM does love him some Tolkien.

Edited by Ser Taron Dax

Yes, it was the Fell Winter. At the time of LOTR, it had not occured in living memory, except for Bilbo. The Brandywine froze and wolves invaded the Shire over the ice.

I don't believe they were noted as direwolves, but it's still an interesting parallel. GRRM does love him some Tolkien.

Edited by steelshanks

Apparently, the sword Dawn was made of comet metall.

The same hodls true for the sword Dorn in Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. The names might just be similar enough for it to be hommage, reference or inspiration.

/Edit: Hm, and Dawn is also located in Dorne...

Charles Martel was the grandfather of Charlemagne, reunited the Franks and added Aquitaine & Burgundy to his realm. He also won the Battle of Tours (732), which halted the Muslims/Moors from advancing from Spain into Frankish territory.
Edited by Dornishman

When Richard III. had his nephews, the Princes in the Tower, murdered (supposed this really happened), a ruthless nobleman named James Tyrell commited the deed...

When the Lancasters took two famous knights of the Yorkists captive, the queen Margaret (despite her name more a Cersei than a Margaery) asked her young son what should happen with them, and he ordered them beheaded. Before his execution, one of the knights exclaimed: "May the wrath of God come over those who taught a child to speak such words!".

This cruel young prince, Eduard, died with 17 - in battle, but still, similar to Joff, don´t you think? ;)

Ser Bonnifer Hasty, now on Harrenhal, is a very pious man.

Bonnifer thus seems to be a refrence to Bonifatius, name of several popes, and originally of a Saint, the so-called "Apostle of the Germans", who did converting among the Germanic tribes (especially here in Hesse, where the Diocese of Fulda is in his heritage) and was slain by the Freesians. Lets see who slays Bonnifer when the curse of Harrenhal comes ;)

Hi Everyone

I am a LONG time lurker but this is my first post. My wife and I are expecting a baby and so we have started to look at possible names and their meanings.

We had to laugh when we happened to stumble upon the meaning behind "Bran".

Bran means "raven" in Welsh. In Welsh legend Bran the Blessed (called also Bendigeid Vran) was the son of the god Llyr. Later Welsh legends describe him as a king of Britain who was killed attacking Ireland.

hmm according to one commentator on that site... Bran was attacking Ireland to rescue his sister who was being mistreated by her husband.

http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=bran-2

Charles Martel was the grandfather of Charlemagne, reunited the Franks and added Aquitaine & Burgundy to his realm. He also won the Battle of Tours (732), which halted the Muslims/Moors from advancing from Spain into Frankish territory.

When Richard III. had his nephews, the Princes in the Tower, murdered (supposed this really happened), a ruthless nobleman named James Tyrell commited the deed...

When the Lancasters took two famous knights of the Yorkists captive, the queen Margaret (despite her name more a Cersei than a Margaery) asked her young son what should happen with them, and he ordered them beheaded. Before his execution, one of the knights exclaimed: "May the wrath of God come over those who taught a child to speak such words!".

This cruel young prince, Eduard, died with 17 - in battle, but still, similar to Joff, don´t you think? ;)

Edited by Ealasaid

Loras Tyrell--There's a Loras college here in Dubuque, IA, named after Bishop Mathias Loras. It's the sister school to Clarke College, where GRRM taught and was writer-in-residence back in the 1970s.

--Tacye

I am a bit confused here. The War of the Roses, which involved Richard 3d, had white rose Yorkists and red rose Lancasterians. My research shows a Henry VI ("the Builder") married a Margaret of Anjou, who dominated him. She fiddled around with politics when Henry had a small breakdown. When he recovered the War began with Margaret's help. But who is this Eduard? I cannot find reference to him.

• 3 weeks later...

On GRRM's official website there is an update on the "what I'm reading" section. The latest book he is reading is titled "Darkstar" by Alan Furst. It is a spy novel.

The text he wrote to accompany the book says he got it a few months ago so I guess he was not inspired to name any characters after the book, but I still thought it was interesting.