References and Homages

Ran

I looked through all 29 pages to make sure, so unless I was too distracted by my cats to notice, this hasn't been mentioned: Tyrion shows lots of parallels (and interesting divergences) with Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan, another brilliant, mouthy dwarf making his way in a seriously inhospitable society. I became convinced this was deliberate while reading ADWD, when Tyrion mentioned having acquired an expert knowledge of drains & sewer systems—a notable feature in several of the Vorkosigan adventures.

Rereading LOTR, and when Thorin Oakenshield is mentioned, I thought I recalled reading of a minor character by the name of Oakshield or Oakenshield. Is it just my imagination? Maybe its just a familiar name bc I've read LOTR so many times, but it just sounds Westerosi to me now anyway.

Tolkien parallels are inevitable since both he and Martin are drawing on lots of Celtic-Germanic-Romance styles in world-constructing; hence, very similar styles of naming. But "inevitable" doesn't mean that they might not be important from time to time. It's tricky, though: Tolkien was writing Romance (the old genre, not the 20th century one), but Martin is writing something considerably closer to Satire (which, after all, isn't always particularly funny). It might be most useful, when looking for Tolkien/Martin parallels, to favor the ones that have the ironic twists.

A bit of a stretch but Cersei's choice of champion is first Jay(me), and then Silent Bob.

Dude, that is so funny.

Also, I really wanted the song 'Ghost' by Phish to be about our Ghost, but I doubt it as only Game of Thrones was out when the song was written.

Septon Cellador at Castle Black might possibly be a reference to the famous compound noun "cellar door", considered by several famous wordsmiths to be one of if not the most beautiful word or phrase in the English language due to both semantics and phonaesthetics. You can read more about it here Cellar Door if you like.

I only picked up on it when I was reading the book on my kindle (I am normally an audiobook listener), and it hit me right away when reading it instead of just hearing it.

Edited by Slychd

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but I think there's a clear Monty Python : The Holy Grail reference in Dance. It's page 325 (Uk edition), a Quentyn chapter (the 2nd I think) : "That dragon queen's got the real item, the kind that don't break and run when you fart in their general direction".

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but I think there's a clear Monty Python : The Holy Grail reference in Dance. It's page 325 (Uk edition), a Quentyn chapter (the 2nd I think) : "That dragon queen's got the real item, the kind that don't break and run when you fart in their general direction".

I remembered thinking that when I read that chapter.

Asha's chapter, wasn't it?

This must have been mentioned before but I laugh on my Red Wedding rereads at "Jaime Lannister (Michael Corleone) sends his regards." Doubly fitting as in both cases the betrayals were in fact orchestrated by other men than the ones mentioned, Tywin Lannister and Hyman Roth.

This must have been mentioned before but I laugh on my Red Wedding rereads at "Jaime Lannister (Michael Corleone) sends his regards." Doubly fitting as in both cases the betrayals were in fact orchestrated by other men than the ones mentioned, Tywin Lannister and Hyman Roth.

That is funny. I've only seen those movies once or twice, so I never picked up on that.

ASoS and ADwD spoiler

There's another I keep seeing. The doom BOOM drum beat was used at both the Red Wedding and when Crowsfood Umbar's army arrived outside Winterfell in Dance. This is the same drum beat the goblins used in Moria in Fellowship of the Ring.

Might just be more of a coincidence than an homage, but watching Conan the Barbarian on AMC, I can't help but be struck by the parallels between Dany & Drogo and Valeria & Conan after he dies on the Tree of Woe.

Might just be more of a coincidence than an homage, but watching Conan the Barbarian on AMC, I can't help but be struck by the parallels between Dany & Drogo and Valeria & Conan after he dies on the Tree of Woe.

especially given that Jason Momoa played both Drogo and Conan

Rereading LOTR, and when Thorin Oakenshield is mentioned, I thought I recalled reading of a minor character by the name of Oakshield or Oakenshield. Is it just my imagination? Maybe its just a familiar name bc I've read LOTR so many times, but it just sounds Westerosi to me now anyway.

Not a minor character, it's a town in the north, near the wall. Does sound like a Tolkein tribute.