References and Homages

Ran

Hodor reminds me of Chewbacca.

Big

Hairy

Strong

Hardly anyone understands what he tries to say(Well sort of)

Carries one of the other characters on his back for a period of time when they sustain injury.(C3-P0/ Bran)

http://img1.wantitall.co.za/images/ShowImage.aspx?ImageId=Star-Wars-Chewbacca-and-C3P0-Black-and-White-Print%7C51i8Cuj2alL.jpg

Edited by Mumatil

Moderate-time lurker, first-time poster.

Likely these were mentioned before, but somewhere are page 16 or so I went cross-eyed.

But there were two Shakespeare homages in the latest book. One is obvious

Jon Snow getting Julius Caesared just as he is flourishing into power

while the other could be considered a Shakespearean "deep cut" or "B side"

Manderley pulling a complete Titus Andronicus on the Freys with his pies

Edited by Guynemer

Theres a pretty minor Lovecraft reference in A Dance with Dragons. Wonder if anyone else cought it.

At some point Arya walks through the streets and hears a priest of the "Starry Wisdom" chanting somewhere in the distance. Starry Wisdom is a cult worshipping the Crawling Chaos that is Nyarlathotep.

Melisande was a character in the Rankin/Bass cartoon movie 'The Flight of Dragons' (wiki link) who had remote viewing powers. Instead of a redhead, though, she was a blonde with Princess Leia earmuffs.

There is a Melisandre mentioned in Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes, may you anglosaxons had nor read it, but in this novel, the spanish writer who lived during the XVI-XVII centuries makes a parody about medieval novels and epic songs about chivalry, King Arthur, the Holy Grial, Charlemagne and his knights, etc. stories that during his times were still very liked in Spain, in a passagge, While in an Inn, Don Quixote watches a puppet show about the "Rescue of Melisandre" an epic song about a princess named Melisandre who was taken as a captive by the muslimes, and his husband: Sir Gaiferos, a knight at Charlemagne's service who goes to rescue her, fighting great battles he alone against all the muslim army.

I don't know if Martin have readed Don Quixote or, even, and more probably, the song reffered in the Cervantes' novel.

During the red wedding I stumbled over a surprising reference that I am positive not is a coincidence. "Unfortunately, the fiddlers and drummers and flutist were playing "Flowers of Spring," which suited the words of "The bear and the Maiden Fair" as well as snails might suit a bowl of porridge." Snail Porridge is the most famous course served at Heston Blumenthals restaurant The Fat Duck.

http://www.thefatduck.co.uk/The-Menus/Tasting-Menu/

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but Charles Martel was Charlemagne's grandfather. He is considered to be instrumental in the establishment of the feudalist system in Europe. The era of knights began with him. He was known as " The Hammer." Maybe GRRM's choice of Martell as the name of a house is related to this, even though its weapon is the spear.

My potential reference/homage isn't as academic as the ones on this page but here I go. I just passed the part in ACOK in the Sept where Sansa is praying with the rest of Kings Landing she prays for Sandor Clegane by asking the Mother to "Save him if you can, and gentle the rage inside him." He is driven by rage just like the Hulk and is being persued by Brienne of Tarth in the role of the investigative reporter. That in turn made me the think of the grave digger on the Quiet Isle who may or not be the aforementioned Hound. Together these things remind me of the opening sequence of the Incredible Hulk. I think the Hound wants to let Westeros go on thinking he's dead until he can control the raging spirit that dwells within him.

Edited by Arch-MaesterPhilip

I just thought of one. Mayhaps I has been noted before. When Jon was stabbed, it reminded of Ceasar's death. Brutus may have participated in this effort, but the crime was perpetrated by several members of the Senate in order to symbolize an act agreed by all.

Edited by Baitac

When I'm reading him, the style always reminds me most of 2 writers:

Bernard Cornwell, more than anyone else. Particularly his Arthurian trilogy, and his love of gruntifying glamourous fantasy, but also general tone.

George M. Fraser's Flashman series. Brilliant, if you like historical fiction.

I get that he must be a Tolkein fan on some level, but I don't read it in his work. And like any vaguely hisotically interested writer, he shows a glimmer of O'Brian when he gets nautical.

Is it only me, or Daenerys's wanderings and visions in the House of the Undying really do feel very much David Lynch-like?

And by the way - someone already mentioned similarity between the fates of Ned Stark and Leto Atreides. I believe it goes further than this. While Leto's son Paul became Kwisatz Haderach, Ned's son Jon will quite likely become Azor Ahai. Well, yes, yes, we don't believe Jon is Ned's son, but he himself does, doesn't he? Anyway both babies, Paul Atreides and Jon Snow, were somewhat wrongly born.

Edited by Neirben

Hsa anyone noticed that one of the founders of (I think) the Golden Company is named Ser Harry Strickland? Harry Strickland, of course, is the much vexed principal in 'Back to the Future.'

That was his name? I remembered the last name. When I got to that chapter, I remember thinking, "You're a slacker, McFly!" Now I wonder if that was intentional.

Edit: Darn, I checked, it was Gerold Strickland. I still hope that was where he got it from tho. Love that movie.

Edited by Patchface12

Twin Lannister's story resembles Okonkwo's from Chinua Achebe's
Things Fall Apart
, Okonkwo was embarrased by his father,and strived to be the opposite of what his father was. His father was poor, lazy, fat, effeminite, a coward, didn't have any titles and thought often. Okonkwo became rich, hardworking, fit, focused on being masculine not showing any emotion except anger, had two titles in his village, showed great prowess in warfare at a young age and defeated a famous, previously undefeated wrestler in the region's wrestling competition and he was impulsive. Lord Tytos Lannister was enormously fat, a coward, let the family fortune be squandered and his vassals walk all over him and amiable. He married his only daughter to the second son of Walder Frey. Lord Tywin, embarrased by his father, became Tytos's opposite, he looked younger than his years, had proven his military prowess in subduing the Reynes and Tarbecks in his youth, restored the family fortune and his policy with his vassals was pretty much self-explanatory with the Reynes and Tarbecks, was Hand of the King and never showed any emotion. He married his only daughter to a king.

When I had to read that for my history of Africa class, I thought of Tywin as well. Things about his life resemble Edward Longshanks and John of Gaunt a little, but I feel like Okonkwo was in there as well. Sorry for the double post.

Edited by Patchface12