References and Homages

Ran

The RW has always reminded me of the Campbells' slaughter of the MacDonalds. Apologies if this has been raised before.

GRRM said the inspiration for the Red Wedding was the Black Dinner where the King James II of Scotland had the sons of the Earl of Douglas were summoned for dinner, and later had them executed.

Edited by Fire Eater

GRRM said the inspiration for the Red Wedding was the Black Dinner where the King James II of Scotland where the sons of the Earl of Douglas were summoned for dinner, and later had been executed.

Thanks! There's nothing better than Scottish history for unexpected horrors.

Maybe slightly off topic but an interesting musical thought. . . . .

sansa

noun

another term for thumb piano.

ORIGIN based on Arabic sanj ‘cymbal.’

aria

noun Music

a long, accompanied song for a solo voice, typically one in an opera or oratorio.

ORIGIN early 18th cent.: from Italian, from Latin aer ‘air.’

Are the Stark sisters part of the "song" of Ice and Fire?

Edited by SimonSez

For good or ill, her son had thrown the dice.

This comes at the end of a Catelyn chapter in GoT where Robb crosses the river at the Twins essentially kicking off the North entering the war.

"The die is cast"

A quote by Julius Cesear as he crossed the Rubicon kicking off his civil war.

Not coincidence I think.

Sorry if it has already been mentioned, just came to my mind. Can't a red door in Ser Willem Darry's Braavosi house be an allusion to The Rolling Stones' Paint It Black song, can it?

I see a red door and I want it painted black

No colors anymore I want them to turn black

I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes

I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

etc. etc.

God's Eye may be a nod to "The Mote in God's Eye" . The astronomical appearance of the environs resembles a "hooded man" and the residents of the Isle of Faces (the "mote") have different skills than humans, in fact are alien, and in some way s more skilled.

When I found out about the Bill Belichick/Belicho situation I had to go back through and find the passage. When I did i noticed another triarch who has a name very similar to another coach. : Parquello Vaelaros is incredibly similar to Bill Parcells. Just throwing it out there since Martin is a Giants fan and PArcells won two rings with them.

Edited by ironborntobewild

Sorry if this has been mentioned. But Tarly's Striding Huntsman always makes me think of Johnnie Walker, is GRRM a whisky drinker? (proper whisky, not what you Americans call whisky... :devil:)

As a proud, gas guzzling, overweight, sedentary, france hating 'merican I feel comically offended because JW is scotch and a "proper" whiskey drinker would know the distinction.

In AGoT, in the chapter in which Tyrion choses trial by combat in the Eirye, Tyrion thinks of Jaime that which I think is a reference to Alexander the Great and the Gordian knot.

The fact is, we don't know for sure if Alexander the Great did untie the Gordian Knot in this manner. The Knot was made of cornelwood cord and tied a yoke to a wagon; and there are 2 versions of the incident in the ancient sources: the first you mentioned (striking it with his sword to cut it loose), and the second one, according to which the King pulled out the pin of the wagon-pole, which was a wooden peg driven righ through it, holding the cord together, and having done this he drew out the yoke from the wagon pole. Not even the most accurate of his biographers -Arrian of Nicomedia- is 100 percent sure which account is the correct one, although he seems to have favoured the latter account because it was recorded by an eyewitness of Alexander's campaigns.

Edited by Milady of York