References and Homages

Ran

Time to add another homage.

Edith Nesbit was a remarkable fantasy and children's author around the turn of the last century. She inspired Tolkien and J.K. Rowling, and George Martin as well. In the book, Five Children and It, the five children match the gender and similiar ages with Eddard and Catelyn's children. The youngest of the group is a male toddler, while one of the older brothers is named Robert, who bears small resemblences to Robb Stark, but remarkable similiarities to Robert Baratheon.

Is this enough to make a connection? No, but the homage is clear within the context of the book. Here are some quotes that people should find very striking and familiar.

In this scene Robert and the other children are being beseiged by knights invented by a faery.

"Hullo there!' Robert bellowed back at once.

'In the name of our Lord the King... we summon this castle to surrender-on pain of fire and sword and no quarter. Do ye surrender?'

'No,' bawled Robert 'of course we don't! Never, Never, NEVER!'

'Cheer,' said Robert in a fierce whisper. 'Cheer to show them we aren't afraid, and rattle the daggers to make more noise. One, two, three! Hip, hip, hooray!"

Edited by Artanaro

Here's another good one I haven't gotten around to putting up. If anyone has googled "Davos", they'll learn about a nice ski resort in eastern Switzerland. Now, what does that have to do with our Davos Seaworth, the noble and honourable ex-mercenary in Stannis' company? Well, I have the answer.

Near the ski resort is a little town called Davos-Platz. This was the summer home of acclaimed author, Robert Louis Stevenson, who wrote the classic, Treasure Island. In the novel duty is personified by Captain Smollett. He isn't the most charismatic soul, but has both intelligence and integrity, gifts equally bestowed on our Lord Seaworth.

There are a few more homages and references I want to put up, but they need quotes, and I don't have the books on hand, so they'll have to wait.

Artanaro

I was wondering if anyone saw the similarities between the Dance of Dragons, the civil war between Aegon II and his sister Rhaenya which ended with Rhaenya's son Aegon III the Dragonbane on the throne, and the Anarchy in England following the death of Henry I. Where King Stephen fought the Empress Maud (Or Matilda) and it ended with Maud's son Henry II on the throne. The events and the general state of anarchy surrounding it seem very similar to me.

I was wondering if anyone saw the similarities between the Dance of Dragons, the civil war between Aegon II and his sister Rhaenya which ended with Rhaenya's son Aegon III the Dragonbane on the throne, and the Anarchy in England following the death of Henry I. Where King Stephen fought the Empress Maud (Or Matilda) and it ended with Maud's son Henry II on the throne. The events and the general state of anarchy surrounding it seem very similar to me.

Has anyone added the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (Tad Williams) reference to the dwarf that rides the wolf (Binabik and Qantaqa) as being made fun of by GRRM's Tyrion and Sansa?

Also Tyrion is a city in the Silmarillion which eventually gets abandoned by the elves. Earendil spends a while wandering around it in his blond, bearded half-elf glory.

• 2 weeks later...

About Rober III Artouis and his influences - not king Robert, but both Cleganes.

Count Rober often called "giant of a man", a good battle commander and rapist. (ser Gregor as he is).

Loyal and honest only to himself, quite smart and hates his kin (aunt Mago) (The Hound ).

All facts are taken from "Accursed Kings" by Maurice Druone.

Dunhallym I've seen other propositions concerning who King Robert looks like (including Conan), but personnally, and though there is perhaps no connexion at all, I find that he looks a lot like Robert d'Artois in Maurices Druon's "Les rois maudits" ( The Accursed Kings).

He or she started this and I was very offended because I like Robert d'Artois very much and King Robert I pisses me off.

Also Tyrion is a city in the Silmarillion which eventually gets abandoned by the elves. Earendil spends a while wandering around it in his blond, bearded half-elf glory.

The city in the Silmarillion is Tirion, rather than Tyrion. The similarity in sound is probably coincidence only.

Aratan

• 2 weeks later...

I didnt want to read 175 postings but I did.... :)

I have one that I wasnt sure about when I read it but I did remember it so maybe...

It may have been the Reader talking to Asha (not sure at all :( )

but didnt he mention Rolland Darklyn or something? reminds me of the Gunslinger tittle character Roland of Gilead.

AM I WRONG?

I was flipping through the Roll of Arms at Ashford Meadow in the back of the Hedge Knight and noticed on the last page of Arms, second row from the bottum are Sers Ernest, Pascal, and Lester Dabell....The Dabel Brothers worked on The Hedge Knight Comic book and there names happen to be Ernst, Les, Pascal Dabel.

Coincidence?......I think not. However Martin must not have liked David Dabel, for he was the only bro left out :)

I was flipping through the Roll of Arms at Ashford Meadow in the back of the Hedge Knight and noticed on the last page of Arms, second row from the bottum are Sers Ernest, Pascal, and Lester Dabell....The Dabel Brothers worked on The Hedge Knight Comic book and there names happen to be Ernst, Les, Pascal Dabel.