References and Homages

Ran

Yes, they have made several references to Game of Thrones in that show, Ben is a huge Game of Thrones fan and Donna says that "those Dothraki guys can get it", and "everyone can get it". I love that series

I think this thread fits better in the show section (not sure, I'm new here)

Edited by Dark_Sister

I’ve noticed the references too. There is also a great moment in 30 Rock where Grizz and Dotcom are in the background in Tracy’s dressing room and you see Dotcom reading a book and he suddenly looks up and says “Ned Stark in dead” in a very puzzled and upset tone. It’s pretty funny because that’s exactly how I felt! I love GOT references!

Yeah, some tv shows have included winks to the show/books since it started, I remember that one.

I always thought Parks and Recs was talking about the show, maybe because the first time they mentioned it was when they ask one of the characters if Game of Thrones had been cancelled, but you are right, they can be talking about the books too.

Edited by Dark_Sister

Shame Donna said Tyrion is the Lord of Casterly Rock... :)

Actually I'm pretty sure Ben said that.

And he really is the rightful lord of Casterly Rock. (assuming he's not disqualified for killing the previous lord)

Edited by mushroomshirt

maybe because the first time they mentioned it was when they ask one of the characters if Game of Thrones had been cancelled, but you are right, they can be talking about the books too.

Also some guy on youtube made this

Edited by DjaqenHghar

Considering that the Freys are often compared to stoats and weasels…..

“The ermine, or stoat, is a bloodthirsty little villain.” Janey Canuck in the West

http://www.wordnik.com/words/ermine

Stoats are a member of the weasel family, order Ferae (yes, I know Frey comes from the God of fertility but this made me pause anyway).

I happened to look up weasel in heraldry because some houses have weasels on their coats of arms. In brief, stoats and weasels, like ferrets, are known as ruthless killers, small and numerous. The clip at the bottom also has some stuff about their ability to reproduce which reminded me of Walder and Black Walder.

WEASEL: A ferocious fighter considered by some to be poisonous and unlucky. Ancient peoples believed that Weasels would attack by the thousands to avenge the death of a single Weasel. To counter this and instead of setting traps for the Weasel which threatened their livestock, they held Weasel festivals on St. Matthew's or St. Catherine's Day to honour these fierce creatures. They are symbolic of boldness and resoluteness due largely to their reputation of battling much larger enemies. The Weasels have long been considered spiritual warriors.

From Armorial Gold's Heraldry Symbolism library

http://www.heraldryclipart.com/symbolism/w.html

So this is how you avoid a Red Wedding. You have to regularly appease the weasels!

These fearless little killers are easily confused. Stoats are bigger. "The weasel appears the size of a large mouse," explains Dr Robbie McDonald, head of Wildlife Disease Ecology at the Central Science Laboratory at Woodchester Park. "A stoat is similar to a skinny squirrel, with a bristly black tip on the tail, which stays black even when the coat turns white."

…Skinny, fast and vicious, weasels prey on small mammals - mice and voles. Stoats can manage rabbits and rats. Both kill by biting into the base of their prey's skulls.

Stoats have a little secret. The females have delayed implantation, so a fertilised egg won't start to develop until up to 10 months after mating. They are also reproductively mature from three weeks old, when they are still blind and naked. "So when an adult male enters a nest to mate with the adult female, he will also fertilise her nestling daughters. This means all females are pregnant from the day they leave the nest," explains Dr McDonald. A weasel can have two litters a year. The stoat will only have one litter in the spring but can produce as many as 13 young. There are about 500,000 stoats, and the same number of weasels, across England.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jun/07/weasels.stoats

Also, Stoats are the source of ermine for royal garments but as they are small you need a lot of them for one garment. The Freys get their power by sticking together.

I have trouble seeing Jaime as Richard I. He might have the necessary looks. Richard "was said to be very attractive; his hair was between red and blond, and he was light-eyed with a pale complexion. He was apparently of above average height: according to Clifford Brewer he was 6 feet 5 inches (1.96 m)". But the adversarial relationship with his father is missing. Richard spend years fighting against Henry II: First in the so-called Great Revolt (1173-1174), then from 1186 to 1189. He was even suspected of having contributed to the death of his father. That is without even taking into accounts the persistent rumors that Henry added the fiancée of Richard to his own mistresses.

In contrast, Jaime never fought against his father and seems not to have attempted to kill or depose Tywin. That doesn't really sound like Richard.

Apple Martini has pointed out in another thread that Jaime is most like Anthony Woodville, brother of Elizabeth Woodville who married Edward IV (may have got the number wrong) and was the mother of the Princes in the Tower. This would make Robert Edward IV (no resemblance other than a penchant for affairs which is probably how he ended up marrying Elizabeth Woodville, which as his council said was 'no match for a Prince such as you" or something like that, and in dying suddenly, of course). Renly would be the Duke of Clarence, and Stannis Richard III.

Stoats are a member of the weasel family, order Ferae (yes, I know Frey comes from the God of fertility but this made me pause anyway).

I doubt that means anything. I don't know if the Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia is old and outdated or just incorrect, but that is not the accurate modern taxonomy of the stoat. The stoat does belong to the weasel family, but that's the family Mustelidae, within the order Carnivora.

Famiilies and orders are not the same thing. Orders are much larger, more diverse groupings: the order the weasels and stoats belong to also contains all of the dogs, cats and bears. So I'm not sure what this would mean for Houses Stark, Lannister and Mormont. :P

I doubt that means anything. I don't know if the Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia is old and outdated or just incorrect, but that is not the accurate modern taxonomy of the stoat. The stoat does belong to the weasel family, but that's the family Mustelidae, within the order Carnivora.

Famiilies and orders are not the same thing. Orders are much larger, more diverse groupings: the order the weasels and stoats belong to also contains all of the dogs, cats and bears. So I'm not sure what this would mean for Houses Stark, Lannister and Mormont. :P

Well, the nature of the stoat still remains relevant. Seeing that label was just a little added extra. Do you mean to say you can't just rely on google?