References and Homages

Ran

In Margaret Thatcher funeral the Lord Mayor of London carried

sword

named Sword of the Morning, I don't know if GRRM knew anything about this sword but it

obviously remind me of Dawn and Ser Arthur Dayne.

Edited by Aslerys

Aenar Targaryens daughter foreseeing the doom of Valyria always reminds me of Jor-El foreseeing the doom of Krypton..like Jor-El trying hopelessly to warn his fellow people, Aenar did the same. And they both acted to save their families and ensure their continuing legacy.

Edited by Grand Maester Mithrandir

Aenar Targaryens daughter foreseeing the doom of Valyria always reminds me of Jor-El foreseeing the doom of Krypton..like Jor-El trying hopelessly to warn his fellow people, I'm Aenar did the same. And they both acted to save their families and ensure their continuing legacy.

I never thought of that before, very interesting.

Found a Tattered Knight in Don QUixote. Also found a reference to a series of tales of knight erratry to which QUixote was obsessed, which the author never finished, driving QUixote so mad he almost finished it himself, much like some of us in the 5 years between the last two!

Edited by rmholt

Septon Cellador = Septon Cellar Door

A passage from J. R. R. Tolkien's 1955 essay "English and Welsh" has been cited as the origin of the idea:[1] "Most English-speaking people...will admit that cellar door is 'beautiful', especially if dissociated from its sense (and from its spelling). More beautiful than, say, sky, and far more beautiful than beautiful. Well then, in Welsh for me cellar doors are extraordinarily frequent, and moving to the higher dimension, the words in which there is pleasure in the contemplation of the association of form and sense are abundant."

A Lengthy post drawing an overwhelming parallel between Littlefinger and the nature and symbolism of Hares...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/88292-littlefinger-and-potted-hare/

In ACOK, Joffrey is trying to catch Hares outside, Tyrion is trying to catch LF within. The parallel's go on and on, and seem quite deliberate on GRRM's part

Septon Cellador = Septon Cellar Door

A passage from J. R. R. Tolkien's 1955 essay "English and Welsh" has been cited as the origin of the idea:[1] "Most English-speaking people...will admit that cellar door is 'beautiful', especially if dissociated from its sense (and from its spelling). More beautiful than, say, sky, and far more beautiful than beautiful. Well then, in Welsh for me cellar doors are extraordinarily frequent, and moving to the higher dimension, the words in which there is pleasure in the contemplation of the association of form and sense are abundant."

Damn beat me to it I was waiting to post this titbit in my ratty old character names thread once search is back up and I can find it. Septon Cellador is a drunk, of course.

Three other wine themed surnames:

Paxter Redwyne of the Arbor has a wonderfully evocative name if you can ignore the stubby individual bearing it.

Pax+ter=peace maker in my mind and Redwyne brings to mind both red wine and red wing, the bird. But Redwyne is a real surname decended from an anglo saxon personal name formed from two words: counsellor and friend. So we have a peace making red wine or a peace making counsellor or friend.

In the Reach surnames there are also Redding, whose coat of arms is a golden flagon on burgandy and Rhysling whose coat of arms shows an oak door set in a stone wall ie a cellar door.

Are there any others?

Edited by Castellan

A Lengthy post drawing an overwhelming parallel between Littlefinger and the nature and symbolism of Hares...

http://asoiaf.wester...nd-potted-hare/

In ACOK, Joffrey is trying to catch Hares outside, Tyrion is trying to catch LF within. The parallel's go on and on, and seem quite deliberate on GRRM's part

Hmm, I never considered that before.

It might have come up beofre in the 53 pages of this thread I didn't bother to read.

Immediately when I started reading a novel called Planet of Exile by Ursula K. Le Guin came to mind. The set is a distant planet inhabited by a humanoid race closely related to us, where there is a colony of regular earth humans as a diplomatic/research mission. The native race is primitve and the humans have abandoned most technology in order not to interfere with their development.

The planet's revolution around its sun lasts sixty years and the story begins on the onset of the fifteen year old winter, as one of the sedentary native tribes and the human colony are about to face the incursion of the northern nomadic and migratory tribes, which for the first time in their history have unified under a charismatic leader. To make matters worse the daughter of the native clan's chieftain falls in love and runs off with the leader of the humans bringing the colony and the tribe to the brink of war.

Any of it sound familiar?

By the way read it, it's awesome. Le Guin and Martin are the only two writers that I have come across, that can make you believe that they have actually met the characters they write about.

Edited by just an Other

Just reading a history of the Byzantine Empire, it seems there are quite a few parallels. Including the above post,

I think we can say for sure that KL was mainly influenced by Konstantinopel. The geographic location, the way enemies are forced to besiege it, the courts, the Hills, ... and the Great Sept of Baelor even looks like the Hagia Sophia (after the Ottomans attached Minarettes). So i think it's pretty obvious... like the Wall was influenced by Hadrian's Wall in Britain.

I think we can say for sure that KL was mainly influenced by Konstantinopel. The geographic location, the way enemies are forced to besiege it, the courts, the Hills, ... and the Great Sept of Baelor even looks like the Hagia Sophia (after the Ottomans attached Minarettes). So i think it's pretty obvious... like the Wall was influenced by Hadrian's Wall in Britain.

Hmm, interesting.

Damn beat me to it I was waiting to post this titbit in my ratty old character names thread once search is back up and I can find it. Septon Cellador is a drunk, of course.

Three other wine themed surnames:

Paxter Redwyne of the Arbor has a wonderfully evocative name if you can ignore the stubby individual bearing it.

Pax+ter=peace maker in my mind and Redwyne brings to mind both red wine and red wing, the bird. But Redwyne is a real surname decended from an anglo saxon personal name formed from two words: counsellor and friend. So we have a peace making red wine or a peace making counsellor or friend.

In the Reach surnames there are also Redding, whose coat of arms is a golden flagon on burgandy and Rhysling whose coat of arms shows an oak door set in a stone wall ie a cellar door.

Are there any others?

I wonder why Cellador started out as Celladar