References and Homages

Ran

Could Martin have anticipated his Titus Andronicus moment all along and named the Freys after Frey Bentos pies? It seems quite obvious, or a coincidence he took advantage of at least.

There are no Fray Bentos pies in the US, but I suppose he could have seen them traveling to the UK.

OT, there is an "Olivia Frey" on my kids' swim team. It always makes me think of aSoIaF. I suppose if you are going to be named after a Frey, Olyvar is the best one...

mushroomshirt - Oh, he must have. Being the...ahem...generously girthed gentleman that he is, I think he must have sampled the UK easy-cook delicacy of a Fray Bentos pie. Not enough meat in them nowadays, however. They used to be better years ago.

Edited by The Killer Snark

mushroomshirt - Oh, he must have. Being the...ahem...generously girthed gentleman that he is, I think he must have sampled the UK easy-cook delicacy of a Fray Bentos pie. Not enough meat in them nowadays, however. They used to be better years ago.

:rofl:

still, I doubt there is room for three or four pinned threads and once they are unpinned, they will be lost.

It would be a good idea to go through the thread making a consolidated list of suggested references and homages that could go up as a single post at the front of a new pinned thread. The list could be in separate categories eg mythology/history/other sci fi or fantasy writers etc.

I wouldn't mind doing it but am not guaranteeing a quick result.

Off the top:

Discovering moquorro in the sea is a fun house reflection of Glanton's column finding the Judge sitting on a boulder in the middle off the desert.

(more obviously) BWB has many many Robin Hood allusions.

Jon's assassination (attempt, I hope) is a Julius Ceaset crib.

Obvious again: Dany / Joan Of Arc parrallel.

So many more...great (and probably everlasting) thread!

They are assuming Dany's prevarications and single-mindedness are going to gt her killed. I love Dany, but I honestly don't see her surviving till the start of the seventh book.

She will die before or in the first part of ADOS sure but how is this akin to Joan,She was burnt at the stake if I'm not wrong.

Being burned at a stake is a symbol of heresy, therefore in historical terms we like to think of such people as candidates for martyrdom. Martin throws in historical allusions constantly, so sometimes you can sort of predict where he's going. Jon is slightly based on Julius Caesar, Joffrey is Caligula, Cersei is Messalina Valeria, Ramsay is a combination of Nero and Gilles de Rais.

Though likely a coincidence I thought there is a connection between Thorin Oakenshield from The Hobbit and Tormund Giantsbane who is supposed to take the fortress of Oakenshield as his seat. Slight similarities in appearance and the names are similar. Evidence is weak but still.

Actually I think Tyrion is the Thorin Oakenshield reference:

• Tyrion, like Thorin, is focused on retaking his rightful mountain fortress that has a vast hoard of gold, Thorin reclaims it from a red dragon while Tyrion is going to use dragons to reclaim it, or uses a red dragon (Dany) to do so, either way works
  • Tyrion, after escaping his imprisonment across the Narrow Sea, is carried in a wine barrel to avoid notice like Thorin escaping by a wine barrel to avoid notice with the rest of his company
  • Both dwarves seem to fight with axes at the beginning of their stories

Actually I think Tyrion is the Thorin Oakenshield reference:

• Tyrion, like Thorin, is focused on retaking his rightful mountain fortress that has a vast hoard of gold, Thorin reclaims it from a red dragon while Tyrion is going to use dragons to reclaim it, or uses a red dragon (Dany) to do so, either way works
  • Tyrion, after escaping his imprisonment across the Narrow Sea, is carried in a wine barrel to avoid notice like Thorin escaping by a wine barrel to avoid notice with the rest of his company
  • Both dwarves seem to fight with axes at the beginning of their stories

Good points all. The connections you mentioned are much deeper then mine. Though I wasn't trying to imply that Tormund was a direct reference more of just a nice artistic touch and a small shout out to Thorin. But now that I am presented with the evidence I would say there is a much stronger connection with Tyrion and Thorin. It's fairly safe to assume that what I mentioned is just a coincidence. I mean Oakenshield is a pretty bitching name and lots of shields are made from oak so its got to be common in worlds that feature medieval fantasy.

Edited by Blood and Cum

Yep,the reversal is the most interesting bit about it though.

What is reversed? (re Evenstar and Lord of the Rings)

Just looked it up , do you mean the most beautiful noble maid vs the least beautiful?

Edited by Castellan