References and Homages

Ran

Plus Howard Hughes had obsessive compulsive disorder, which approached a psychotic degree of neurosis because there was no understanding at his time period so much as there is now of the affliction, so there was no adequate counselling available or treatment, unless you were fond of electric shocks. He was mentally ill, but sane. Aerys, however was completely batshit crazy, so the analogy is not apt.

I like the way you give a clinical description of Hughes with official-sounding terminology and then write Aerys off as batshit crazy. BTW, the analogy was to Aerys's appearance and actions, which are pretty evocative of Hughes's. This is literature, not psychology.

speaking of homage somebody built a full on GoT arcade ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281303148392?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

(SPOILER FREE) This is the world's only Game of Throne's arcade machine and it is loaded with intricate detail from the Direwolf Sideart Sigil of House Stark and accompanying Stark words "Winter Is Coming" to the Lion of House Lanister 2Player Start Button and Stag of House Baratheon 3Player Start Button. The control panel glows green for the Wildfire that saved King's Landing at the Battle of the Blackwater during the War of the Five Kings and reads "You Win Or You Die." The Targaryen three headed dragon is hidden inside the machine and the coin slots are inlayed with the Hand of the King pin. The bezel instructions cards read "CHOOSE YOUR CHARACTER" and have images of 40 GoT characters including: Jon Snow, Robb Stark, Khal Drogo, everybody's favorite Arya Stark, The Mountain, The Hound, Daenerys, Nymeria, Jaime Lannister, Robert Baratheon, Ygritte, Hodor, Jorah, and Bronn and many more.

Couldn't find anything in a search of this forum, so I don't know if anyone has noted this before. But in Ch 47 (Arya) of ASoS, The Hound mentions Old King Andahar's two headed water horse as being the sigil of House Roote of Harroway.

Andahar is both a unicorn in the Forgotten Realms RPG and a river in the Wheel of Time series.

Edited by thenedstark

Has it been said ?

Herrmann's saga./ Arminius.

Basically the exact same story as we get with Mance.

German boy gets raised by Romans and then goes back and unites the tribes to fight against the legions. All around the infamous Limes in Germany, the roman wall against the "wildlings", german tribes.

Today Arminius/Herrmann is shown as roman soldier with a distinctive winged helmet, a symbol for the god Hermes.

Herrmann is considered the Father of the Nation in Germany.

So like Mance with his winged helmet. Raised by the NW and then deserted to unite the Free Folk against the NW. Though Herrmann did not fear ice zombies rising in the german forests..;)

Has it been said ?

Herrmann's saga./ Arminius.

Basically the exact same story as we get with Mance.

German boy gets raised by Romans and then goes back and unites the tribes to fight against the legions. All around the infamous Limes in Germany, the roman wall against the "wildlings", german tribes.

Today Arminius/Herrmann is shown as roman soldier with a distinctive winged helmet, a symbol for the god Hermes.

Herrmann is considered the Father of the Nation in Germany.

So like Mance with his winged helmet. Raised by the NW and then deserted to unite the Free Folk against the NW. Though Herrmann did not fear ice zombies rising in the german forests..;)

Good find! :thumbsup:

Daenerys and Jon Snow, believed to be the true heirs, beloved and good in their actions, then suddenly comes another claimant, who has nothing yet done, but apparently a way better claim...only to be proven to be fraud...

Little Lord Fauntleroy anybody ?

I had a few thoughts on literary references in ASOIAF.

1. Jon Snow's stabbing seems similar to the fate of Julius Caesear. They are both military men who are betrayed by supposed friends.

2. Cercei's walk of punishment reminded me of the stations of the cross. For those non-Christians out there this is the scene of Jesus carrying his cross up the hill. I belive he falls a specific number of times and is helped up by someone. Similar to Cercei and her septa companions.

3. Asha Greyjoy's "Wayward Bride" chapter she talks about the trees of the forest around Deepwood Mote closing in on her. Later the Northmen launch a surprise attack disguised as trees an bushes. This really reminds me of Shakespeare's Macbeth. In the beginning of the play three witches tell Macbeth that he will be king until the woods grow and touch his castle walls. He thinks that it couldn't possibly happen in his lifetime but later during his decent into madness he sees that the forest is growing closer. It turns out to be an army disguised as trees launching a surprise attack.

The Starks and the Atreides have a lot in common.

Their Head of the House dies; Eddard Starks, Leto Atreides

Paul Atreides and Jon Snow are heirs of a near dead house.

Been a while since I read Dune (and have no inclination to do a re-read anytime soon) but weren't Paul and his mother believed to be dead?

Tyrion's dream of Valhalla

When Tyrion is recovering after the Battle of Blackwater, before he becomes conscious he has confused dreams which seem based on memories of being removed from the battlefield.

But after he has woken a couple of times; worked out that they must have won the battle; and had a dose of milk of the poppy he has a pleasant dream about the rewards of victory which is very reminiscent of the dead who die in battle being feasted at Valhalla.

The dream includes three people who will be dead before too long: Marillion, Tywin and Shae, together with Tyrion and Jaime. Tywin has a smile (the only time we see him smile is as a corpse) while Shae is teasing him and calling him her giant of Lannister.

This time he dreamed he was at a feast, a victory feast at some great hall. He had a high seat on the dais, and men were raising their goblets and hailing him as hero. Marillion was there, the singer who'd journeyed with them through the Mountains of the Moon. He played his wood harp and sang of the Imp's daring deeds. Even his father was smiling with approval. When the song was over, Jaime rose from his place, commanded Tyrion to kneel, and touched him first on one side and then on the other with his golden sword, and he rose up a knight. Shae was waiting to embrace him. She took him by his hand, laughing and teasing, calling him her giant of Lannister.

This is a very good catch, but I'd give it its own thread so people can discuss this fully.

I can't believe I've never noticed that before.

It was yesterday I first got the Arthur Dayne and his sword = King Arthur...

I feel quite dumb.

Especially because the poster who enlightened me, did it using "Arthur and his special sword"as reference to his penis. which I find interesting..sword of the morning. What author gives such a line !? Ser Arthur Dayne and his sword of the morning. I wonder now who really had something with whom at the "Tower of Joy"...another sexual reference ha :D

Tyrion's dream of Valhalla

When Tyrion is recovering after the Battle of Blackwater, before he becomes conscious he has confused dreams which seem based on memories of being removed from the battlefield.

But after he has woken a couple of times; worked out that they must have won the battle; and had a dose of milk of the poppy he has a pleasant dream about the rewards of victory which is very reminiscent of the dead who die in battle being feasted at Valhalla.

The dream includes three people who will be dead before too long: Marillion, Tywin and Shae, together with Tyrion and Jaime. Tywin has a smile (the only time we see him smile is as a corpse) while Shae is teasing him and calling him her giant of Lannister.

This time he dreamed he was at a feast, a victory feast at some great hall. He had a high seat on the dais, and men were raising their goblets and hailing him as hero. Marillion was there, the singer who'd journeyed with them through the Mountains of the Moon. He played his wood harp and sang of the Imp's daring deeds. Even his father was smiling with approval. When the song was over, Jaime rose from his place, commanded Tyrion to kneel, and touched him first on one side and then on the other with his golden sword, and he rose up a knight. Shae was waiting to embrace him. She took him by his hand, laughing and teasing, calling him her giant of Lannister.

Doesn't this suggest Jaime's living on borrowed time?

Doesn't this suggest Jaime's living on borrowed time?

Yep. Lots of things do!

Its also of course a sad contrast with what actually happened at the purple wedding and the trial- publicly humiliated, not praised.

2. Cercei's walk of punishment reminded me of the stations of the cross. For those non-Christians out there this is the scene of Jesus carrying his cross up the hill. I belive he falls a specific number of times and is helped up by someone. Similar to Cercei and her septa companions.

well yes

but also, historical base is what was done to Edward IV's (aka King Robert Baratheon) mistress Jane Shore - paraded around the streets in her undershift. They have combined his wife and his mistress in Cersei.

Actually, its just occurred to me that Lady Taena is partly like Jane Shore because Shore was moved against because she was suspected of working for Elizabeth Woodville by carrying messages for her, in the period after Richard III seized power but before he had been crowned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Shore

Edited by Castellan