References and Homages

Ran

shun the non american!! shuuunnnn!! shuuhuhunnnn! :lol:

For they art not worthy of the most bestest tongue of them all, american english!!

Namárie from another foreigner to the land of freedom and guns and ignorance.

Edited by Metopheles

Sweden. "The Dude" at least.

The others I don't know.

So yeah. Love each other and especially love the fact that this is a site where literally every country that reads these books can participate and collectively hate and fight each other over which character is better and who should get the throne.

Sweden. "The Dude" at least.

The others I don't know.

So yeah. Love each other and especially love the fact that this is a site where literally every country that reads these books can participate and collectively hate and fight each other over which character is better and who should get the throne.

I do. :) I was actually poking fun at the other guy who called y'all "foreign posters" and was worried y'all wouldn't understand my lingo.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently reread "Sandkings" by GRRM and I noticed a lot of parallels between the sandkings and how they are manipulated by their owner and the ASoIaF series, and if my theory is correct we can guess some things that will happen in the series by how the short story wraps up. I'm going to put together a larger, more detailed post about it when I find the time.

We discussed before the similarly of Joffrey and Caligula; these lines from Suetonius' Twelve Caesars on Caligula particularly reminded me of Joffrey, especially his cowardice at the Siege of King's Landing...

I think I may fairly attribute to mental weakness the existence of two exactly opposite faults in the same person, extreme assurance and, on the other hand, excessive timorousness. For this man, who so utterly despised the gods, was wont at the slightest thunder and lightning to shut his eyes, to muffle up his head, and if they increased, to leap from his bed and hide under it. In his journey through Sicily, though he made all manner of fun of the miracles in various places, he suddenly fled from Messana by night, panic-stricken by the smoke and roaring from Aetna's crater

AWOIAF spoiler

Aegon III dismisses his regents when he comes of age and says, "Full bellies and dancing bears shall be my policy.", when referencing how to deal with the small folk. Obviously a reference to the Roman saying, also regarding the plebs, 'Panem et circenses', bread and circuses.

Edited by Half Of Tormunds Member

Just saw Christopher Marlowe's play Tamburlaine, based on the historical early 15th century Mongol-descended emperor of Persia etc Tamerlane (Timur). A lot of Khal Drogo in this character, although T. got further and was crueler; also just the general atmosphere reminded me of the Essos portions of ASOIAF.

Just saw Christopher Marlowe's play Tamburlaine, based on the historical early 15th century Mongol-descended emperor of Persia etc Tamerlane (Timur). A lot of Khal Drogo in this character, although T. got further and was crueler; also just the general atmosphere reminded me of the Essos portions of ASOIAF.

Yeah, much of Essos is pretty much exactly "The Mysterious East" as seen and depicted by Europeans through history. I like the idea of a world where all the wild ideas and misconceptions about relatively unknown cultures were actually true.

In TWOIAF, there is a maester called Nicol who wrote The Measure of the Days.

Based upon his work on the movement of stars in the firmament, Nicol argues unconvincingly that the seasons might once have been of a regular length, determined solely by the way in which the globe faces the sun in its heavenly course.

Maester Nicol is a reference to astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus.

Edited by Mithras Stoneborn

chrisdraw, have you checked wikipedia?

It was written by the playwright Sir Ronald Millar, who had been Thatcher's speech-writer since 1973, and was a pun on the 1948 play The Lady's Not for Burning by Christopher Fry, although Thatcher missed the reference herself.

But sometimes, only sometimes, I have the feeling that Martin really likes the tv-show - Spitting Image.

Maggie

Mel

Dawn. Another day is given us, R’hllor be praised. The terrors of the night recede. Melisandre had spent the night in her chair by the fire, as she often did. With Stannis gone, her bed saw little use. She had no time for sleep, with the weight of the world upon her shoulders. And she feared to dream. Sleep is a little death, dreams the whisperings of the Other, who would drag us all into his eternal night. She would sooner sit bathed in the ruddy glow of her red lord’s blessed flames, her cheeks flushed by the wash of heat as
if by a lover’s kisses.

Tyrion commenting on the sky signaling a bastard.

… I have never seen a sky that color. A thick band of clouds ran along the horizon. “A bar sinister,” he said to Penny, pointing.
“What does that mean?” she asked.

“It means some big bastard is creeping up behind us.”

Norman Tebbit