References and Homages

Ran

Reading a bit of middle East history, Crusades era. Shawar was a former ruler of Egypt, when under imminent attack - which for him was all the time - had planned to burn the city down and everything in it, stocking up on tens of thousands of pots of pyrotechnics, possibly an inspiration for Aerys. Quick search I couldn't find any reference on here.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawar

He was eventually succeeded by Saladin, TPTWP? ;)

In Game or Thrones, the second Catelyn chapter, Ned says of of his appointment as Hand of the King:

"I never asked for this cup to pass to me.”

In the King James Bible, Matthew 26:39, Jesus prays:

"And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."

Jesus is referring to his impending arrest and public execution. This is foreshadowing for the danger Ned is walking into in King's Landing, and his ultimate fate there.

In Game or Thrones, the second Catelyn chapter, Ned says of of his appointment as Hand of the King:

"I never asked for this cup to pass to me.”

In the King James Bible, Matthew 26:39, Jesus prays:

"And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."

Jesus is referring to his impending arrest and public execution. This is foreshadowing for the danger Ned is walking into in King's Landing, and his ultimate fate there.

Jesus (!) GRRM even skimmed off the Bible :bowdown: :bowdown:

:thumbsup:

Anyone remember the old, and pretty dark Disney film Dragonslayer? I just realized the dragons name is Vermithrax.

And then we have in ASOIAF, Vermithor, Meraxes, Vermax, Arrax, Tyraxes, Urrax.

Vermithor+Vermax=Vermithrax

That's just GRRM and the writers of Dragonslayer drawing from the same well of Celtic names, not GRRM copying Dragonslayer. If you look at fantasy literature before and after Dragonslayer you will see lots of dragons with names ending in -ax, because that was how dragons in ancient English mythology were frequently named.

Edited by THICK PINK MAST

Yet far to the east, well beyond the borders of the Golden Empire proper, past the legendary Mountains of the Morn, in the city Carcosa on the Hidden Sea, dwells in exile a sorcerer lord who claims to be the sixty-ninth yellow emperor, from a dynasty fallen for a thousand years.

Clear reference to "Carcosa" and the "Yellow King" from Ambrose Bierce's short stories. Also recently referenced in the series, True Detective.

Edited by thenedstark

I have searched for this notion and not found it anywhere, but I do apologize if this is a repeat:

The name Stannis may be derived from Tanis, the ancient city in Egypt where Indiana Jones finds the Ark of the Covenant which held the 10 commandments. If so, that would be an allusion to his severe morality; at least, until Melisandre gets her claws into him, that is.

That's just GRRM and the writers of Dragonslayer drawing from the same well of Celtic names, not GRRM copying Dragonslayer. If you look at fantasy literature before and after Dragonslayer you will see lots of dragons with names ending in -ax, because that was how dragons in ancient English mythology were frequently named.

Oh I didn't see it as copying, I quite liked the idea he separated the names but mixing them yielding vermithrax, I'm aware of the whole Celtic -ax thing but figured him incorporating both like that may be a reference

In AWOIAF, the history of the Riverlands mentions an Elmo Tully, Kermit Tully, and Grover Tully.

George is such a troll. :rofl:

Wait. Is this an allusion to the Tullys being puppets...?

It's a progression, I think. Grover is a monster, albeit a very silly one, and associated with flight (by virtue of his Super Grover aspect) and thus with dragons and the reptilian Targaryen dynasty that his forebears championed. His son is Elmo, a red demon, but diminished in size, his feet firmly on the ground. Then comes Kermit, amphibian, a humble frog, yet a natural leader, intelligent and gentle, yet capable of leading his men into battle, slaying the enemy champion with his tiny green hands. Though the uncles of lesser men might own the theater, the scion of House Tully is ready to manage the stage. House Tully will eventually become a fish, thus completing the progression from air to water.

But we are all puppets. Valar Dohaeris.

Edited by Weirdo