References and Homages

Ran

Has anyone ever read the excellent 2000AD series Bad Company that ran in the late 80s and early 90s? Part 3 had a big showdown between two of its characters who detested each other near the end and it panned out something like this: De Racine, a handsome snarky lech, decides to save the day against Protoid, a seemingly invincible alien who is the entire series' most despicable character. Because De Racine is a walking arsenal of tricks (his body has been modified so that his body parts double as weapons, and he also has poisonous blood) and has superior intelligence, he effectively hands Protoid's ass to him on a platter, but gets caught off guard at the last minute when he's effectively won the fight (he actually gets literally grabbed by Protoid's spaceship: it turns out the Protoid character is subservient to the ship, which is the real alien) and gets killed gruesomely via facial/cranial mutilation. Protoid is a shapeshifter, turns his arm into a pair of giant scissors, and cuts De Racine's face off, attached to the bone, from the back of his head. Implied, but there's evidence this is what happens. Does anything about this scenario remind anyone else of the showdown between Oberyn and The Mountain? Especially since this episode of the comic series was issued about ten years before A Storm of Swords came out.

Note: I referred to this more elaborately about a year back, citing a whole load of similarities in characterisation and context, but it was worth revisiting again.

Edited by The Killer Snark

Well, that's a many centuries old archetype. Your story as well as Oberyn's fate seemed to me to be a play on the theme of St. George killing the Dragon (with the poison on the other side), and that, in turn, is based on older myths.

I take it partly as a metaphor for the saying "Before you embark on the journey of revenge, dig two graves."

ETA: Your post from february is better at explaining why you think that Oberyn is partly based on Racine.

Edited by Lykos

Is that what they call it round those parts?

The stands usually call them "meat rings" but "anus frys" is commonly used in reference to them. Good thing to do is buy someone a meat ring and then say "By the way, most folks call them anus frys" after they take a couple of bites.

The stands usually call them "meat rings" but "anus frys" is commonly used in reference to them. Good thing to do is buy someone a meat ring and then say "By the way, most folks call them anus frys" after they take a couple of bites.

You're totally cracking me up. I'll be very careful if I ever make it to the Red River Shootout.

I HAVE NOT READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD

But has anyone heard of the story or movie Howl's moving castle ? i started to watch it but i dont have the attention for it however the story has some things that remind me of GOT, the title is a funny similarity to Howland Reed and his moving castle. the story end's with a sort of kiss of life and fire is also involved i personally believe that Cat will kiss Jon.

Edited by Daemon Blackfyre IV

I HAVE NOT READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD

But has anyone heard of the story or movie Howl's moving castle ? i started to watch it but i dont have the attention for it however the story has some things that remind me of GOT, the title is a funny similarity to Howland Reed and his moving castle. the story end's with a sort of kiss of life and fire is also involved i personally believe that Cat will kiss Jon.

You didn't even read the first three posts of the last page. Shame.

Edited by Social Justice Warrior

In Game or Thrones, the second Catelyn chapter, Ned says of of his appointment as Hand of the King:

"I never asked for this cup to pass to me.”

In the King James Bible, Matthew 26:39, Jesus prays:

"And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."

Jesus is referring to his impending arrest and public execution. This is foreshadowing for the danger Ned is walking into in King's Landing, and his ultimate fate there.

if GRRM did this on purpose wow just wow what a catch