References and Homages

Ran

"Ned eased himself slowly back onto the hard iron seat of Aegon's misshapen throne. His eyes searched the faces along the wall. "Lord Beric," he called out. "Thoros of Myr. Ser Gladden. Lord Lothar." The men named stepped forward one by one. "Each of you is to assemble twenty men, to bring my word to Gregor's keep. Twenty of my own guards shall go with you. Lord Beric Dondarrion, you shall have the command, as befits your rank." ← from GoT chapter 43

Was ser Gladden foreshadowing of Ambush at Mummer's Ford?
In LoTR, ford at Gladden Fields was place where Isildur, his three sons & 200 knights were ambushed by orcs and the Ring was lost... http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Battle_of_the_Gladden_Fields

Impressive. Most impressive.

“The Shah ordered him to construct an edifice of this kind. Erik did so; and the building appears to have been so ingenious that His Majesty was able to move about in it unseen and to disappear without a possibility of the trick's being discovered. When the Shah-in-Shah found himself the possessor of this gem, he ordered Erik's yellow eyes to be put out. But he reflected that, even when blind, Erik would still be able to build so remarkable a house for another sovereign; and also that, as long as Erik was alive, some one would know the secret of the wonderful palace. Erik's death was decided upon...

I don't know whether this was intentional or not, but the account of Erik's death sentence by the Shah in the Phantom of the Opera reminds me a lot of Maegor the Cruel ordering his builders killed.

There's an old story from a 40s pre comics code comic book, Crime Does Not Pay, called Thug's Throne where some crook who I take it fancies himself as a king of the underworld winds up throned ironically by being put on the electric chair. The last panel of it is narrated as follows: "Ho - do I hear Steve complaining about the thone he won? T'isn't made of gold, but it's the throne fir for a thug. Heh, heh, every killer sits on this throne sooner or later!"  Given the startling similarities, I take it Martin, a well known comic book geek, must have had this in mind during the killing of Viserys. Of course, the dying man's head is covered as well, albeit in a hood and not molten gold.

• 2 weeks later...

"Ned eased himself slowly back onto the hard iron seat of Aegon's misshapen throne. His eyes searched the faces along the wall. "Lord Beric," he called out. "Thoros of Myr. Ser Gladden. Lord Lothar." The men named stepped forward one by one. "Each of you is to assemble twenty men, to bring my word to Gregor's keep. Twenty of my own guards shall go with you. Lord Beric Dondarrion, you shall have the command, as befits your rank." ← from GoT chapter 43

Was ser Gladden foreshadowing of Ambush at Mummer's Ford?
In LoTR, ford at Gladden Fields was place where Isildur, his three sons & 200 knights were ambushed by orcs and the Ring was lost... http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Battle_of_the_Gladden_Fields

Not sure but certainly could be. Good catch.

Also was doing some Darry research and found this.

Outside, she found song of a very different sort. Rymund the Rhymer sat by the brewhouse amidst a circle of listeners, his deep voice ringing as he sang of Lord Deremond at the Bloody Meadow.

And there he stood with sword in hand,

the last of Darry's ten...

And red the grass beneath his feet,

and red his banners bright, and red the glow of the setting sun that bathed him in its light,

"Come on, come on," the great lord called,

"my sword is hungry still."

And with a cry of savage rage, They swarmed across the rill...

The Battle of Bloody Meadow is a nickname of the Battle of Tewkesbury.  One of the decisive battles of the War of the Roses.

Edited by Lord Wraith

Also was doing some Darry research and found this.

Outside, she found song of a very different sort. Rymund the Rhymer sat by the brewhouse amidst a circle of listeners, his deep voice ringing as he sang of Lord Deremond at the Bloody Meadow.

And there he stood with sword in hand,

the last of Darry's ten...

And red the grass beneath his feet,

and red his banners bright, and red the glow of the setting sun that bathed him in its light,

"Come on, come on," the great lord called,

"my sword is hungry still."

And with a cry of savage rage, They swarmed across the rill...

The Battle of Bloody Meadow is a nickname of the Battle of Tewkesbury.  One of the decisive battles of the War of the Roses.

I wonder why The George referenced the decisive battle in which York defeated Lancaster on the eve of the Battlenof the Red Fork? Tully repelled Lannister, winning the battle, but Lannister joined Tyrell and went on the "win" the war.