References and Homages

Ran

Sorry if this has already been posted - search is disabled ATM.

Last week's episode of the Big Bang Theory I noticed they have a Lannister refrigerator magnet.

Also in this week's Entertainment Weekly there is a column where the writers for the GoT TV series and Parks and Recreation swtich shows. It's amusing.

Edited by mushroomshirt

Always remember:

Keep Penis Clean Or Face Getting Syphilis

Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species

Never heard it. I can't think why they don't teach that mnenonic to high school girls.

Apparently the trick with Renly's armour has a classical inspiration. This may already be listed, can't face checking 51 pages.

"With the Greek forces on the verge of absolute destruction, Patroclus led the Myrmidons into battle wearing Achilles' armor, though Achilles remained at his camp."

from a wikipedia article about Achilles.

Edited by Castellan

I've seen people compare the Lannisters to the Borgias (the historical ones, not the TV show) and particularly Cersei to Lucrezia. I can see why, given the power grabbing and rumored incest, even if it's obviously not a perfect fit.

But Lucrezia was not the only Borgia sibling. There were her brothers as well, of which Cesare is the best known. Another one, the youngest, was named Gioffre, which is sometimes spelled Jofre. He was married to an Aragonese princess named Sancha, or Sancia... They were 12 and 16 when the wedding took place.

http://en.wikipedia..../Gioffre_Borgia

Apple Martini has pointed out in another thread that Jaime is most like Anthony Woodville, brother of Elizabeth Woodville who married Edward IV (may have got the number wrong) and was the mother of the Princes in the Tower. This would make Robert Edward IV (no resemblance other than a penchant for affairs which is probably how he ended up marrying Elizabeth Woodville, which as his council said was 'no match for a Prince such as you" or something like that, and in dying suddenly, of course). Renly would be the Duke of Clarence, and Stannis Richard III.

Oh, there are some similarities. Edward IV was unusually tall, he was good-looking, and liked to drink and party. He took the throne after leading a rebellion and deposing the ruling monarch, who was quite mad. (Living in his head mad, not burning people to death mad, though.) The monarch's son was also killed. Then after he married, there were a lot of complaints among the nobles that his wife's family were getting far too many positions of power. He died youngish (about 40, I think) leaving behind two young sons. His brother then declared the boys illegitimate and claimed the throne for himself... I'd say that amounts to a few similarities.

Edited by ShigellaSand

I'm reading "A Distant Mirror" by Barbara Tuchman which covers the 14th century. Westeros culture seems to make WAY more sense than real medieval feudal culture. There were laws governing what clothes you could own for one thing. So when we think the fundy Muslims are being medieval that's actually likely true

Apparently the trick with Renly's armour has a classical inspiration. This may already be listed, can't face checking 51 pages.

"With the Greek forces on the verge of absolute destruction, Patroclus led the Myrmidons into battle wearing Achilles' armor, though Achilles remained at his camp."

from a wikipedia article about Achilles.

That might gave been an influence, but Achilles wasn't dead yet at that point, rather refusing to fight after an argument with Menelaus. Both tricks had the same point to them though, so I'm with you there.

This brought to mind something else though; the Astapori trying to pull an "El Cid" with King Butcher's corpse. They dress him up in his armor and have him "lead" a sortie, forcing Caggo of the Second Sons to "kill" him a second time. This little episode seems to be a clear nod to the El Cid story, albeit a somewhat ironic one considering the outcome (i.e. Same ploy. Opposite results).

Edited by Jon Flowers

Ok, time to bring the tone down a little:

I am the only one who keeps misreading "Ser Marq Piper" as "Ser Maris Piper", do we have a potato knight as well as an onion knight?

Potatoes? There are potatoes in Westeros?

In ADwD, Tyrion remembers reading stories he found ridiculous about dragons guarding treasure. Definitely an homage to The Hobbit.

There's also the fact that "Drogo" was the name of Frodo Baggins' father.

Edited by Lion's Claw

I'm reading "A Distant Mirror" by Barbara Tuchman which covers the 14th century. Westeros culture seems to make WAY more sense than real medieval feudal culture. There were laws governing what clothes you could own for one thing. So when we think the fundy Muslims are being medieval that's actually likely true

I've read that too, long time ago though. It's a good book but you have to remember that it a) displays the 14th century which was basicly a time of crisis and decline (before that, medieval europe seem to prosper, generally speaking) and b ), as far as i can remember, the book focuses very much on the decline of France in the Hundred Years War. That being said, this book is more of an attempt to get into a 14th century guy's mindset confronted with misery and decline than being an accurate academic description of that time. There were also flourishing elements, like the rise of Burgundy, the beginning of the Renaissance, the consolidation of Castille, etc.

But considering the aesthetics of Westeros, that book seems to be quite close to them.

The muslim world however had little to do with the western middle ages, despite all their interactions. Only because a society hasn't gone through the enlightment of the 18th century doesn't mean it's an equivalent to the Islam.

Edited by Xasthur

In ADwD, Tyrion remembers reading stories he found ridiculous about dragons guarding treasure. Definitely an homage to The Hobbit.

There's also the fact that "Drogo" was the name of Frodo Baggins' father.

Ah, something I never thought of! Thank you for pointing that out :)

Sorry if this has already been posted - search is disabled ATM.

Last week's episode of the Big Bang Theory I noticed they have a Lannister refrigerator magnet.

Also in this week's Entertainment Weekly there is a column where the writers for the GoT TV series and Parks and Recreation swtich shows. It's amusing.

I noticed that in TBBT too :)

Also, its not just search thats offline ATM. Viewing any profiles, including your own, is impossible too. Perhaps the site is updating/running maintanence?

I noticed that in TBBT too :)

Also, its not just search thats offline ATM. Viewing any profiles, including your own, is impossible too. Perhaps the site is updating/running maintanence?

The Guys also have a Longclaw replica by Valyrian Steel hanging next to the entrance door ^_^

Dragons guarding their hoard stretch way back in mythology before The Hobbit.