References and Homages

Ran

The Guys also have a Longclaw replica by Valyrian Steel hanging next to the entrance door ^_^

Ah yes, I remember the episode where they bought it ^_^

Tyrion was squashed into a barrel at some point near the start of ADwD, which reminded me of the Dwarves escaping in barrels down the river in The Hobbit.

Ah, another Tyrion/Hobbit reference. Interesting... :idea:

Tyrion was squashed into a barrel at some point near the start of ADwD, which reminded me of the Dwarves escaping in barrels down the river in The Hobbit.

I always found Tyrion something like a parody or satire on the classic fantay dwarf.

The Guys also have a Longclaw replica by Valyrian Steel hanging next to the entrance door ^_^

Ah yes, I remember the episode where they bought it ^_^

Don't know about you but doesn't it seem a little short to be a bastard sword? I always imagined Longclaw to be, you know, long.

Don't know about you but doesn't it seem a little short to be a bastard sword? I always imagined Longclaw to be, you know, long.

Since they never said which GoT sword it was a replica of (IIRC), I assume that Longclaw was just a guess. It could have been any, really.

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by Lady Daenys Targaryen

Davos' appearance at the court of Wyman Manderley reminded me of the appearance of Bilbo and the dwarves in the court of the Elven King in Mirkwood in The Hobbit.

Another LoTR reference in ASoIaF. Interesting. Thank you for pointing it out :)

Since they never said with GoT sword it was a replica of (IIRC), I assume that Longclaw was just a guess. It could have been any, really.

It has a wolf's head on it so it seems like it must be Longclaw.

I suppose it could be Ice (I don't think we know what Ice's pommel looks like). But Ice would be even longer since it is a greatsword.

It has a wolf's head on it so it seems like it must be Longclaw.

I suppose it could be Ice (I don't think we know what Ice's pommel looks like). But Ice would be even longer since it is a greatsword.

Then its most likely Longclaw.

Could just be a coincidence, but when Jon is passing out food to the wildlings in ADWD there's a bit that goes "The tumult and the shoving died", which sounds rather like the line from Rudyard Kipling's "Recessional":

The tumult and the shouting dies

The Captains and the Kings depart.

Could just be a coincidence, but when Jon is passing out food to the wildlings in ADWD there's a bit that goes "The tumult and the shoving died", which sounds rather like the line from Rudyard Kipling's "Recessional":

The tumult and the shouting dies

The Captains and the Kings depart.

Hmm, its certainly interesting. Although it seems to be no more than a coincidence IMHO.

Dany's quote: "I am but a young girl" etc is very similar to the line from Donovan's Young Girl Blues "You are but a young girl, (working your way through the phonies)". I'm sure GRRM's familiar with the song. And Dany's working her way through her share of phonies.

The fighting of houses resembles the War of the Roses

House LANNister of CASTERly Rock = House LANNCASTER

John of Gaunt whom the House of Lanncaster derived from was a man who made his way rather similar to Tywin. Also (not sure if it was mentioned), but Castle Rock is a nod to Stephen Kings town used in about 8-9 of his books and stories. These include Needful Things in which Leland Gaunt opens a shop to provide things to townsfolk in exchange for favors. Gaunt was suppossedly a demon who tricked people into selling their souls. Similar to Lan the Clever tricking the Kings of the Rock out of Casterly Rock.

John of Gaunt whom the House of Lanncaster derived from was a man who made his way rather similar to Tywin. Also (not sure if it was mentioned), but Castle Rock is a nod to Stephen Kings town used in about 8-9 of his books and stories. These include Needful Things in which Leland Gaunt opens a shop to provide things to townsfolk in exchange for favors. Gaunt was suppossedly a demon who tricked people into selling their souls. Similar to Lan the Clever tricking the Kings of the Rock out of Casterly Rock.

Richard III - Tyrion metaphors?

Now is the WINTER of our discontent

Made glorious summer by this sun of York;

And all the clouds that lour'd upon our house

In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.

"The speech reveals Richard's envy and ambition, as his brother rules the country successfully. Richard is an ugly hunchback who is "rudely stamp'd", "deformed, unfinish'd", and cannot "strut before a wanton ambling nymph." He responds to the anguish of his condition with an outcast's credo: "I am determined to prove a villain / And hate the idle pleasures of these days." "

Richard next ingratiates himself with "the Lady Anne" – Anne Neville, widow of the Lancastrian Edward of Westminster, Prince of Wales. Richard confides to the audience:

"I'll marry
's youngest daughter.

What, though I kill'd her husband and her father?"

Sansa? The Lannisters also killed both her father and brother as well, and forced her to marry Tyrion.

"Assisted by his cousin Buckingham, Richard mounts a campaign to present himself as the true heir to the throne, pretending to be a modest, devout man with no pretensions to greatness. Lord Hastings, who objects to Richard's accession, is arrested and executed on a trumped-up charge of treason. Together, Richard and Buckingham spread the rumour that Edward's two sons are illegitimate, and therefore have no rightful claim to the throne; they are assisted by Catesby, Ratcliffe, and Lovell. The other lords are cajoled into accepting Richard as king, in spite of the continued survival of his nephews (the Princes in the Tower).

Cersei's children are illegitimate.

Richard asks Buckingham to secure the death of the princes, but Buckingham hesitates. Richard then recruits James TYRRELL, who kills both children.

HOLY HANDGRENADES! a Tyrell.

Edited by AegonSnow

Just reading a history of the Byzantine Empire, it seems there are quite a few parallels. Including the above post,