References and Homages

Ran

Pycelle

Pucelle (often used as other name for Jeanne d'Arc, especially in the area where she was born)

means virgin and maid, but also prostitute and slut. Fits the Grandmaester very well. Not only does he frequent them, he also is one. And furthermore, maesters are not allowed to have sexual relationships, so this name makes him hypocritical...he should be a virgin, but he is a slut.

Also, Domremy...Domeric. For the name fanatics out there, like me :)

Domremy-la-Pucelle. Home town of Jeanne d'Arc.

Reading "The Iron King" by Maurice Druon, which GRRM is certainly a fan of. Its historical fiction, and in this, Marguerette (spelling?) and her cousin Blanche are cukolding their husbands, the future King Louis, and Louis' younger brother Charles. M's other cousin, Jeanne, is aiding them with the affair by carrying messages and being an alibi. Bears striking similarities to Margaery and her cousins, who are said to have taken lovers, and one of the cousins is supposedly just there to "assist." :)

Also, one of those who accuse the cousins is their sister in law, Queen Isabella, who if memory serves me right has an affair herself, which is a parallel to Queen Cersei, who is mother-in-law to Margaery, and has accused her of the crimes she is guilty of herself

Edited by HelenaAndTheMachine

The name of House Manderly may be related to Manderley, the fictional and memorable estate in Hitchcock's Rebecca

I used to even spell them the same way until I checked the Wiki...

However, Manderly's name in the book derives from the river Mander in the Reach, so it might be just an unintentional similarity, but I thought it worth mentioning

I doubt any of the references/homages I spotted within the books are ones that haven't been picked up and mentioned here before, but (as my username suggests) I do have a theory which goes the other way.

I believe that the WWF/E writers of the late '90s based the story of the Undertaker and Kane on that of the Mountain and the Hound. For those who don't know, Kane's kayfabe back story was that he was horrifically burned as a child in a house fire caused by his older brother, the Undertaker, leaving him permanently scarred both physically and mentally.

I doubt any of the references/homages I spotted within the books are ones that haven't been picked up and mentioned here before, but (as my username suggests) I do have a theory which goes the other way.

I believe that the WWF/E writers of the late '90s based the story of the Undertaker and Kane on that of the Mountain and the Hound. For those who don't know, Kane's kayfabe back story was that he was horrifically burned as a child in a house fire caused by his older brother, the Undertaker, leaving him permanently scarred both physically and mentally.

I started off as an Unsullied, and the moment Sandor fights Gregor in the show I chuckled and muttered Undertaker vs. Kane.

Almost everyone else I've shown it to has done the same.

I also laugh whenever it mentions in the books that the Starks are fighting the ironmen.

Pycelle

Pucelle (often used as other name for Jeanne d'Arc, especially in the area where she was born)

means virgin and maid, but also prostitute and slut. Fits the Grandmaester very well. Not only does he frequent them, he also is one. And furthermore, maesters are not allowed to have sexual relationships, so this name makes him hypocritical...he should be a virgin, but he is a slut.

Also, Domremy...Domeric. For the name fanatics out there, like me :)

Domremy-la-Pucelle. Home town of Jeanne d'Arc.

The one who seems to reference Jeanne d'Arc to me is Melissandre, although some facts about her seemed to be purposely inverted.

She's sent by (a) God to a man to tell him he's the rightful King. -> correct.

It's said that when Jeanne died, only her heart remained untouched after the fire. Stannis' symbol is a burning heart - > subverted

She was known as a maiden. Melissandre's shadows come from her after she has sex with Stannis. -> subverted.

The subtitles on my TV read Stormbringer.

Can't argue with that. I just watched the scene a couple times and always here the other. But your homage was listed five posts or so before you, I guess.

I don't know if its been said before but in the Trinity Series (Fiona McIntosh) there are mentions of places that sound like Dorne and the Vale. There's also a clan of people (I forget but I think they were cannibalistic) that resemble the wildlings.

In the Trinity books there is a goddess named Lys and the name of the protagonist is Torkyn often shortened to Tor. There's a similarity in the names in Asoiaf and trinity.

Another similarity is the way they portray the prostitution and brothels. They have a sort of Oldtown-like place as well. There's pirates and hangings and wizards and all that.

I don't know if this helps but I'm just saying.