References and Homages

Ran

I got a gold dragon says this was influenced by Harris’s The Silence of the Lambs...

To toughen her, Ser Goodwin used to send her to her father's butcher to slaughter lambs and suckling pigs. The piglets squealed and the lambs screamed like frightened children. By the time the butchering was done Brienne had been blind with tears, her clothes so bloody that she had given them to her maid to burn.

Brienne IV, Feast 20

• 3 weeks later...
The Mountains of the Moon was a movie starring Ian Glen (Jorah Mormont) that came out in 1990: http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0100196/ 

That would have left it fresh in the mind of GRRM as he was worldbuilding in 92/93.

This may be an inspiration for the mountainous Gates of the Moon.

Edited by Daendrew

21 minutes ago, Daendrew said:
The Mountains of the Moon was a movie starring Ian Glen (Jorah Mormont) that came out in 1990: http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0100196/ 

That would have left it fresh in the mind of GRRM as he was worldbuilding in 92/93.

This may be an inspiration for the mountainous Gates of the Moon.

The second link you posted suggests that there is no Mountains of the Moon. Rather is suggests that a man in ancient times had claimed to have discovered the source of the Nile in a range of mountains, which the local inhabitants called the Mountains of the Moon for their snow caps. 

8 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The second link you posted suggests that there is no Mountains of the Moon. Rather is suggests that a man in ancient times had claimed to have discovered the source of the Nile in a range of mountains, which the local inhabitants called the Mountains of the Moon for their snow caps. 

It exists as a reference. 

According to a SSM, In 2008 GRRM said he wanted to write about Baldwin VI "the Leper" King of Jerusalem:

GRRM: Would like to write about leper king of Jerusalem - has a lot of empathy for his problems and it’s a fascinating exercise to try to get into his mind. Creation of a character who is not like yourself is very difficult. You have to be able to project yourself into these different kinds of people.

Source: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/2724 

I think JonCon pays homage to Baldwin VI "the Leper" that GRRM wanted to write about so much.

Edited by Daendrew

• 3 weeks later...
On 15-11-2016 at 8:14 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

I got a gold dragon says this was influenced by Harris’s The Silence of the Lambs...

Brienne IV, Feast 20

Nice one, especially when thinking how she comes face to face with a cannibal, who likes to chew people alive

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alboin, king of the Lombards, second wife was a spoil of war named Rosamund. He humiliated her by forcing her to drink wine out of her father's skull. She enlisted her husband's master at arms and another man to assassinate him. Which she did. 

Combination of The Boy too Bold by half, Lo Bu and the Dothraki woman who murdered her non-Dothraki husband. 

Edited by Pain killer Jane

The Night's Queen 

Moll Dyer, a woman in 1695 that was accused of witchcraft because she was surviving the "Longest Winter We Have Known" in Leonardtown, Maryland. She was chased out of her home in the woods. Her body was later found frozen to a rock. According to locals, she left her hand prints on the rock. 

Check out American Supernatural - Wicked Witch of Winter 

• 2 weeks later...

This one is obvious but;  Brienne defeated Harry Sawyer and Robin Potter for participating in a bet for her maidenhead. Robin even received a scar on his forehead.

Cersei Lannister's prophecy "younger and more beautiful queen" is reference to another "younger and more beautiful princess" Snow White.

• 1 month later...

Place reference - I know some people said that the Quiet Isle reminds them of Mont St Michel in France but the Holy Island or Lindisfarne off northeast England seems a bit more like the Quiet Isle.

'It is accessible, most times, at low tide by crossing sand and mud flats which are covered with water at high tides. These sand and mud flats carry an ancient pilgrims' path, and in more recent times, a modern causeway.'

(From the wikipedia entry)

On 3/25/2017 at 5:50 AM, Castellan said:

Place reference - I know some people said that the Quiet Isle reminds them of Mont St Michel in France but the Holy Island or Lindisfarne off northeast England seems a bit more like the Quiet Isle.

'It is accessible, most times, at low tide by crossing sand and mud flats which are covered with water at high tides. These sand and mud flats carry an ancient pilgrims' path, and in more recent times, a modern causeway.'

(From the wikipedia entry)

If it's Lindisfarne, does that suggest that Euron will raid it? 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if it's mentioned here before but has anyone noticed how similar Mandon Moore's name is to Mandy Moore? I doubt there are any connections aside from their names, but anyway I thought I'd bring it up here in case others have noticed it too. 

• 3 weeks later...