References and Homages

Ran

• 2 weeks later...

F & B spoiler. Page 670 (U.S.)

@The Fattest Leech

Spoiler

The acolytes of Yndros could supposedly transform themselves from male to female and female to male through the act of love...

This has got to be a nod to kemmering in Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness.

The greatest Leech ;) already let me know George was a big fan of Le Guin. This one seems spot on to me. 

32 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

F & B spoiler. Page 670 (U.S.)

@The Fattest Leech

Hide contents

The acolytes of Yndros could supposedly transform themselves from male to female and female to male through the act of love...

This has got to be a nod to kemmering in Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness.

The greatest Leech ;) already let me know George was a big fan of Le Guin. This one seems spot on to me. 

Brilliant! 

• 3 weeks later...

It's known Oscar Tully refers to Oscar, but there're even more, as noticed in this post.

Then as now, the riverlords were a fractious, quarrelsome lot. Kermit Tully, Lord of Riverrun, was their liege lord, and nominally commander of their host…but it must be remembered that his lordship was but nineteen years of age, and “green as summer grass,” as the northmen might say. His brother Oscar, who had slain three men during the Muddy Mess and been knighted on the battlefield afterward, was still greener, and cursed with the sort of prickly pride so common in second sons.

In the Muppet, both Oscar and Kermit are green, and Oscar is indeed "greener". Oscar became green after a trip to Swamp Mushy Muddy, which is the namesake for Muddy Mess.

6 hours ago, zionius said:

It's known Oscar Tully refers to Oscar, but there're even more, as noticed in this post.

In the Muppet, both Oscar and Kermit are green, and Oscar is indeed "greener". Oscar became green after a trip to Swamp Mushy Muddy, which is the namesake for Muddy Mess.

Don't forget about their father Lord Elmo and his grandfather Lord Grover. 

I found a nod to Shakespeare in ASOIAF:

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.” -A Dance with Dragons - Bran III

Which was a nod to:

“Cowards die many times before their death. The valiant never taste of death but once” -Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene II

• 4 weeks later...

Tiberius Caesar about Augustus Caesar:

Tiberius: Well don't bother on my account, for Gods know I've done my best. He's never liked me, never. Thirty years I've run his errands for him; I've fought on his bloody frontiers, collected his taxes. He never once put his hand on my arm and said "Thank you, what would I have done without you?" Now he sends me off to Illyricum and he doesn't even plan a farewell dinner; not even a goodbye, just "Get on your horse and ride." Well, damn him! I retired before once and I can do it again! Let his precious grandson run his empire for him. I'm sick to death of it.

-I, Claudius 

Stannis Baratheon about Robert Baratheon:

"Why should I avenge Eddard Stark? The man was nothing to me. Oh, Robert loved him, to be sure. Loved him as a brother, how often did I hear that? I was his brother, not Ned Stark, but you would never have known it by the way he treated me. I held Storm's End for him, watching good men starve while Mace Tyrell and Paxter Redwyne feasted within sight of my walls. Did Robert thank me? No. He thanked Stark, for lifting the siege when we were down to rats and radishes. I built a fleet at Robert's command, took Dragonstone in his name. Did he take my hand and say, Well done, brother, whatever should I do without you? No, he blamed me for letting Willem Darry steal away Viserys and the babe, as if I could have stopped it. I sat on his council for fifteen years, helping Jon Arryn rule his realm while Robert drank and whored, but when Jon died, did my brother name me his Hand? No, he went galloping off to his dear friend Ned Stark, and offered him the honor. And small good it did either of them

-A Clash of Kings, Prologue. 

A meteorite crash lands on the planet.

A city or a country is formed at the center of the location.

The meteorite is weaponized.

A weaponized meteorite is only wielded by someone deemed worthy.

Starfall = Wakanda

Dawn = Vibranium

The current Sword of the Morning = The current Black Panther

STARFALL FOREVAAAA!!!

Sooo ... T'Challa was protecting R+L at TOJ huh?

Edited by The Map Guy

Robert Strong may be a Frankenstein's monster in the ASOIAF world.

He may be named after Robert Baratheon and how Strong he was.

BUT

What if Robert Strong was a medieval Terminator?

T-1000 Terminator was played by Robert Patrick in the movies.

T-800 Terminator was played by Arnold Schwarzenegger, whose started his movie career as 'Arnold Strong' in the credits

OR the name could be both inspired by Robert Baratheon internally, and Terminators externally.

If Jon Con = John Connor ... is this a foreshadowing of a future duel between Jon Connington and Robert Strong? They do seem to be on a collision course.

For fun, who would be Sarah Connor then?

TV Sarah Connor = Lena Headey = Cersei ... Cersei's guardian Robert Strong = T-800, a friendly Terminator

Movie Sarah Connor = Emilia Clarke = Daenerys ... Daenerys' future foe Robert Strong = T-1000, an enemy Terminator

:P

Edited by The Map Guy

"If you must know more, his name is Beorn. He is very strong, and he is a skin-changer."

—Gandalf.  The Hobbit, Chapter VII. "Queer Lodgings"

Obviously, Varamyr Sixskins is a homage.  Bears seem to be a favorite with GRRM.  I wonder if he follows the Chicago Bears...or maybe the Cubbies?

1 hour ago, Blanetree said:

"If you must know more, his name is Beorn. He is very strong, and he is a skin-changer."

—Gandalf.  The Hobbit, Chapter VII. "Queer Lodgings"

Obviously, Varamyr Sixskins is a homage.  Bears seem to be a favorite with GRRM.  I wonder if he follows the Chicago Bears...or maybe the Cubbies?

He loves his football, but he's a Jets and Giants fan. :)

If you're a football fan yourself, you might enjoy his football-related posts on his blog. I absolutely love them - he is knowledgable, opinionated, passionate, colourful. It is very good reading, in other words! He didn't post much about football this season, unfortunately, but I hope he'll be back to his old NFL-obsessive ways soon. If Sam Darnold starts turning the Jets around, and if Eli Manning hangs up his boots, GRRM will have plenty to say about it, you can be sure!

And welcome to the forum. :)

NFL in ASOIAF:
https://grrm.livejournal.com/258190.html

For fun:

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/List_of_houses

Arizona Cardinals Petyr Baelish?
Atlanta Falcons According to GRRM: House Arryn
Baltimore Ravens GRRM: Citadel of Oldtown, or House Blackwood, or Ser Clayton Suggs
Buffalo Bills House Prester? or Gerold Hightower, the White Bull?
Carolina Panthers An animal of the Summer Isles
Chicago Bears GRRM: House Mormont
Cincinnati Bengals GRRM: Political Party in Volantis
Cleveland Browns House Clegane, a bulldog mascot
Dallas Cowboys Patrek of King's Mountain, blue 5-point star on silver field
Denver Broncos House Ryswell, or GRRM: Dothrakis
Detroit Lions GRRM: House Lannister
Green Bay Packers GRRM: butchers and tanners of King's Landing & Oldtown
Houston Texans House Bulwer, longhorn mascot
Indianapolis Colts House Ironsmith
Jacksonville Jaguars House Santagar? leopard ~ jaguar
Kansas City Chiefs Khals of the Dothraki khalasar
Los Angeles Chargers House Dondarrion
Los Angeles Rams House Rambton
Miami Dolphins House Lowther
Minnesota Vikings The Ironborn?
New England Patriots Belicho, a triarch of Volantis (Evil Little Bill), or GRRM: The Others
New Orleans Saints GRRM: High Septon, Septas, or the Faith Militant

Oakland Raiders Mance Rayder? lol
Philadelphia Eagles House Mallister
Pittsburgh Steelers GRRM: smiths and armorers
San Francisco 49ers GRRM: The gold-miners of Lannisport
Seattle Seahawks House Fowler
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Salladhor Saan
Tennessee Titans Titan of Braavos
Washington Redskins Dothrakis

Feel free to disagree with any. I am not 100% sure on all of them anyways.

On 2/17/2019 at 1:32 PM, Blanetree said:

Bears seem to be a favorite with GRRM.  I wonder if he follows the Chicago Bears...or maybe the Cubbies?

THAT IS BLASPHEMY!

On 2/17/2019 at 2:55 PM, FunFalconryFacts said:

He loves his football, but he's a Jets and Giants fan. :)

Correct!

New York Giants = Ice = The wildling giants Beyond the Wall, OR according to GRRM: the wildlings & Night's Watch

New York Jets = Fire =

Spoiler

the fire dragons of Valyria, House Targaryen

I was always told that having dragons in a medieval environment was the equivalent of having nukes in modern time. I disagree 100%.

Nukes destroy without bias. Once activated, there is no precision in destruction. Also, a nuke cannot combat another nuke. It may be a countered-response to each other, but there would be no clear winner if two opposing sides detonate a nuke against each other.

What I believe is a better analogy of dragons in ASOIAF are modern day fighter Jets.

Fighter Jets can attack with precision. Jets can combat other jets. Jets can be taken down from the ground with a proper and accurate weapon, but it is rare. If one side of a battle has a fighter jet (or three) and the other side does not...that is a massive advantage with the fighter jet.

Dragons can attack with precision. Dragons can combat other dragons. Dragons can be taken down from the ground with a proper and accurate weapon, but it is rare. If one side of the battle has a dragon (or three) and the other side does not...that is a massive advantage with the dragon.

So in conclusion, GRRM's and my beloved New York Jets = House Targaryen

The team chant:
D-R-A-G-O-N-S DRAGONS! DRAGONS DRAGONS!

I don't know how well the non-American ASOIAF readers know American football ... but American football is a sport that closely resembles Warfare.

This is a reason why GRRM loves football. It is a very tactical sport. The coaches decision matters 100% ... where as other sports, the players can take over the game without the coaches' direct instructions ... like soccer, basketball, baseball, hockey...etc. With American football, GRRM can think like a military general and it keeps him mind sharp.

If you are unfamiliar with American football, I can try to explain a little bit ... but this will be consider OFF-TOPIC, so I will put on 'spoiler-tags' to hide them:

Spoiler

• Off-the-field generals = coaches calling the specific tactics of each play, they DO NOT need to physically perform
  • On-the-field officers = the 'quarterback player' of the offense and the 'safety player' of the defense relays the coaches' instructions to the rest of the players, they also make adjustments if needed, and they need to physically perform too
  • On-the-field soldiers = the other 10 players, they follow orders and need to physically perform

The Offensive Goal: Win every 10-yard skirmish on 4 tries or less. If you gain the 10 yards or more of territory, you get another 4 tries at another 10 yards. It is repeated until you reach your enemy's 'endzone' that is 100 yards away.

In these 10-yards/4-tries, you can run with the football, or throw/catch the football. The coaches decides each play for each try, and they would occasionally employ trickery to deceive the Defense so they can obtain more territory.

If a thrown-football is not caught legally, the Offense starts their next try in the original spot from the previous try.

Each tries ends after a player with the football is tackled to the ground, runs out-of-bounds, does not catch a thrown-football, or the team scores.

The football is like a bomb, and as the Offense you need to carry it into the enemy's castle ('endzone'). If you explode the bomb inside the enemy's castle, you get 7 points (called a 'touchdown').

The Defensive Goal: Deny each of enemy's 10-yards/4-tries and deny the enemy from ultimately scoring. If successfully defended a 10-yards/4-tries, your team will get the football back without the enemy scoring. You can also get the football back if you legally take it away from the Offense, by a 'fumble' or a 'interception'

The 4th try:

If the Offense cannot achieve the 10-yards in 3 tries, the Offense has three options and the General makes the decision:

1. Try to cross the original 10-yard marker on the final try. If failed, the other team gets the football on the last spot.
  2. Kicking a 'field-goal' for 3 points if you are in range of that yellow u-shape bar above the castle
  3. If you are not in range of the yellow u-shape bar, 'Punting' the football away so your opponent has a longer distance to travel when it is their turn to be the Offense next.

If any points are scored, the other side will get the ball next.

A 'field-goal' would be like detonating the bomb outside of the castle, but a 'touchdown' would be detonating the bomb inside the castle.

Why the weird numbers of 3 points for a 'field-goal' and 7 points for a 'touchdown'? Because ONE bomb exploding inside the castle would still do more damage than TWO bombs exploding outside of the castle.

1 Touchdown > 2 Field-goals
BUT
1 Touchdown < 3 Field-goals

The highest score after four 15-minute quarters wins the game. 

That is pretty much American football quickly explained ... but there are like 200 other rules.

Just remember, American football is the closest sport to Medieval Warfare (without death of course) ... tactics of the generals, performance of warriors, gaining territory closer to the enemy's castle (Offense), defending territory so your enemy cannot attack your own castle (Defense).

Edited by The Map Guy

25 minutes ago, Daendrew said:

Lanore Velaryon is an homage to GRRM's minion Lenore. https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Laenor_Velaryon

I always assumed his minion was honored as Lemore. But you could be more right than I. Nice! :cheers:

I posted this elsewhere, but the character Shae may have been inspired by one of France's most infamous poisoners, Catherine Deshayes:

http://murderpedia.org/female.D/d/deshayes-catherine.htm

Catherine Deshayes, sometimes known as Catherine Monvoisin, or simply La Voisin was a French serial killer. She was born around 1640, and executed as a witch on 16 February 1680, in Paris; together with several others. She played an important role in the so-called Affair of the Poisons. She lived from charging high fees to make horosocopes. She celebrated black masses, practiced abortions, sold love potions and poisons. She is said to have sacrificed infants.

Pronouned with the silent 'S' in French, so clear similarity there. It's also been speculated that Shae may have had a hand in one or two of the poison plots going on in Storm of Swords. There's admittedly a lot of Melisandre in her as well, though.

I really love the idea that GRRM has been seeking inspiration from women in history who were instigators and masters of their own fate - even if Deshayes was on the shadier end of the scale. It makes the books that much more grounded in reality.

I don't know about you guys, but this fictional decisive-Hamlet character reminds me of Jaime Lannister:

"Hey King Aerys ... you want me to kill my father? big mistake...."

• Kingslaying King Claudias
  • Throwing someone off a tower
  • The cockiness
  • Wielding a sword with his left hand, while his right hand is stiff
  • The golden color embroidery on the outfit
  • The crimson color scarf on the horse
  • Successful wildfire plot for the castle's explosion in the end??
  • For all the A+J=J&C believers, Arnie made a "big mistake" by killing his actual father lol

The biggest coincidence in this film "Last Action Hero" and how Arnie = decisive Hamlet, Prince of Denmark ~ Jaime Lannister ... is that the actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (HBO GoT's Jaime) is also Danish! 

Also Charles Dance, who plays Jaime's father Tywin Lannister, is also in this 1993 film! "If God was a villain, he would be me"

Probably just big coincidences when GRRM was doing the initial HBO casting huh? Regardless, Nikolaj & Charles were great picks.

Who knows, maybe Jaime Lannister will be ASOIAF's Last Action Hero.....

Edited by The Map Guy
TOTALLY FORGOT Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is Danish! lol