Ran

References and Homages

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Or not

What? "Shaggydog story"? I never heard of that one.
Even so, the point of "Shaggydog story" wouldn't suggest that Shaggydog is going to die ... and Rickon's story isn't being dragged on anyways.

*sigh*
I hope I don't get into trouble for this.
If you are reading this now and haven't read Top Secret Theory, it will be a real WTF below.
For those who have read it, you know the drill.

Spoiler Alert: Wordplay of Shaggydog, Rickon Stark & Osha:

Spoiler

Shaggydog is about Shaggy and his dog Scooby-Doo.
Why do you think they hang out in the crypts so much?

In the books, Rickon is named for Eddard's father Rickard.
Rickard is named for Richard Nixon
Rickon is named for Richard Nixon

Richard Nixon is a former USA president.

The only time where I found a direct connection between Shaggy and Richard Nixon is in the 1972 TV Episode: The New Scooby Doo Movies - S01E04 - The Frickert Fracas.
In this episode, Shaggy and a character named Jonathon Winters are trying to scare a man dressed as a scarecrow.
(Off-topic: When I hear "scarecrow", I always think of Bloodraven :dunno:).
Shaggy threatens the scarecrow by impersonating Richard Nixon and saying "My fellow American, let me make one thing perfectly clear!"
I wonder if this symbolizes Rickon/Richard warging into Shaggy/Shaggydog? :D

An actual quote from former President Richard Nixon in Ms. Magazine 1971: "Let me make one thing perfectly clear! I wouldn't want to wake up next to a lady pipefitter!" :thumbsdown:

I wonder if a woman like Osha, in modern times, would be employed as a pipe fitter? It's funny because Rickon/Richard would probably wake up next to her nowadays lol.
I wonder if modern-Osha would fit pipes safely under OSHA safety standards :rofl:

Also, it was President Richard Nixon that founded OSHA in 1970.

Bonus Theory:
Don't believe Rickon Stark is named after a US President/Politician?
Let's look at other male Starks: Jon, Robb, Bran, and Eddard.

Well, I'm pretty sure Brandon is named after an actor.
And I don't think Jon is named after John Starks, a former New York Knicks basketball player from the early 1990s.

Jon ... Robb ... Eddard (Ned):
John F. Kennedy ... Robert F. Kennedy ... Edward (Ted) Kennedy

Jon Snow / Jon Arryn / John F. Kennedy were assassinated
Robb Stark / Robert Baratheon / Robert F. Kennedy were assassinated

The Kennedy Family are American royalty
Just like the Starks are Westerosi royalty

Fun Fact:
Did you know Arnold Schwarzenegger married into American royalty when he married Maria Shriver in 1986? Maria Shriver is one generation down: she is the niece of John, Robert and Ted Kennedy.
Their kids ... wow ... Schwarzenegger blood and Kennedy blood ... must be some awesome mix.
Too bad they got divorced.

Also 'Lost Melnibonean', I don't believe in your Last Hero theory, no offense.

Just a gut feeling ... I believe Jaime, as half-brother to Rhaegar, will be our Last Hero when he seeks out the Children of the Forest with Brienne and their companions, AND kills them! Its to rescue Bran from the CotF. I'm just undecided where Bran will be held hostage at ... either Bloodraven's cave, the Nightfort (after Shireen gets burnt), or Winterfell (after Stannis is turned zombie). Also, Jaime is going to have his sword broken in the rescue attempt ... leading him to look for another sword of quality ... just a gut feeling.

Edited by The Map Guy

14 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

What? "Shaggydog story"? I never heard of that one.
Even so, the point of "Shaggydog story" wouldn't suggest that Shaggydog is going to die ... and Rickon's story isn't being dragged on anyways.

*sigh*
I hope I don't get into trouble for this.
If you are reading this now and haven't read Top Secret Theory, it will be a real WTF below.
For those who have read it, you know the drill.

Spoiler Alert: Wordplay of Shaggydog, Rickon Stark & Osha:

Hide contents

Shaggydog is about Shaggy and his dog Scooby-Doo.
Why do you think they hang out in the crypts so much?

In the books, Rickon is named for Eddard's father Rickard.
Rickard is named for Richard Nixon
Rickon is named for Richard Nixon

Richard Nixon is a former USA president.

The only time where I found a direct connection between Shaggy and Richard Nixon is in the 1972 TV Episode: The New Scooby Doo Movies - S01E04 - The Frickert Fracas.
In this episode, Shaggy and a character named Jonathon Winters are trying to scare a man dressed as a scarecrow.
(Off-topic: When I hear "scarecrow", I always think of Bloodraven :dunno:).
Shaggy threatens the scarecrow by impersonating Richard Nixon and saying "My fellow American, let me make one thing perfectly clear!"
I wonder if this symbolizes Rickon/Richard warging into Shaggy/Shaggydog? :D

An actual quote from former President Richard Nixon in Ms. Magazine 1971: "Let me make one thing perfectly clear! I wouldn't want to wake up next to a lady pipefitter!" :thumbsdown:

I wonder if a woman like Osha, in modern times, would be employed as a pipe fitter? It's funny because Rickon/Richard would probably wake up next to her nowadays lol.
I wonder if modern-Osha would fit pipes safely under OSHA safety standards :rofl:

Also, it was President Richard Nixon that founded OSHA in 1970.

Bonus Theory:
Don't believe Rickon Stark is named after a US President/Politician?
Let's look at other male Starks: Jon, Robb, Bran, and Eddard.

Well, I'm pretty sure Brandon is named after an actor.
And I don't think Jon is named after John Starks, a former New York Knicks basketball player from the early 1990s.

Jon ... Robb ... Eddard (Ned):
John F. Kennedy ... Robert F. Kennedy ... Edward (Ted) Kennedy

Jon Snow / Jon Arryn / John F. Kennedy were assassinated
Robb Stark / Robert Baratheon / Robert F. Kennedy were assassinated

The Kennedy Family are American royalty
Just like the Starks are Westerosi royalty

Fun Fact:
Did you know Arnold Schwarzenegger married into American royalty when he married Maria Shriver in 1986? Maria Shriver is one generation down: she is the niece of John, Robert and Ted Kennedy.
Their kids ... wow ... Schwarzenegger blood and Kennedy blood ... must be some awesome mix.
Too bad they got divorced.

Also 'Lost Melnibonean', I don't believe in your Last Hero theory, no offense.

Just a gut feeling ... I believe Jaime, as half-brother to Rhaegar, will be our Last Hero when he seeks out the Children of the Forest with Brienne and their companions, AND kills them! Its to rescue Bran from the CotF. I'm just undecided where Bran will be held hostage at ... either Bloodraven's cave, the Nightfort (after Shireen gets burnt), or Winterfell (after Stannis is turned zombie). Also, Jaime is going to have his sword broken in the rescue attempt ... leading him to look for another sword of quality ... just a gut feeling.

I posted that several years ago. Maybe I ought to toss it out there again... 

6 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I posted that several years ago. Maybe I ought to toss it out there again... 

No worries. I did learn something new. Perhaps Shaggydog & Rickon will be a "Shaggydog Story", just not the interpretation you have.

The concept of "Shaggydog Stories" doesn't involve death or being "futile" ... it involves "pointlessness" and "anticlimactic".

"Futile" is failure to achieve a goal.

A "Shaggydog Story" doesn't have a goal.

Example of a "Shaggydog Story":

• "Guess what I saw today? So I went to the supermarket today and I went the milk aisle, turned right to the soda aisle, then turned left to the beer aisle, and finally turn right to the pastry aisle ... and there I saw it! I saw a cardboard cutout of the Pillsbury Doughboy cartoon character bending over!" 
  • "And?"
  • "And what? That's it!"
  • :mellow:

Bad example of a "Shaggydog Story" is:

• "Guess what I saw today? So I went to the supermarket today and I went the milk aisle, turned right to the soda aisle, then turned left to the beer aisle, and finally turn right to the pastry aisle ... and there I saw it! I saw a cardboard cutout of the Pillsbury Doughboy cartoon character bending over! And then I died ..." 
  • :blink:

Example of telling a proper story:

• "Guess what I saw today? So I went to the supermarket, and in the pastry aisle is where I saw it! I saw a cardboard cutout of the Pillsbury Doughboy cartoon character bending over! Under him between his legs, there was a sign that said "Grab these!". Under the cartoon cutout and sign, were boxes of doughNuts on sale!"
  • :D

In The Long Reign, Fire and Blood, we are told that the Lady Meredith took on great grey lizards, one of which bit a crewman who lost the bitten leg, and that was followed by a large white leviathan purposefully slamming into the ship. Is this sequence of events an allusion to Moby Dick, in which Ahab seeks revenge on the whale that caused him to lose a leg?