Confessions....say what?! v.11

UnbentFury

Ehh not really. Usually a male protagonist but not always more men than women. Hell, even most video game RPGs have about the same amount of males and females in your party and i tend to like the dudes more.

I mean, you could have a whole horde of female/queer/PoC characters milling about in the background and yet only have a handful of well developed characters-all of whom are straight white males. Look at the original Star Wars for instance-you have one woman in a team of three-five if you count the robots. Or the Avengers movie where you have three named women: Hill, Black Widow and Pepper Potts.

My point (in a roundabout way) is that most instances of popular media have more male characters that are well developed-hence the five-man-band trope.

I mean, you could have a whole horde of female/queer/PoC characters milling about in the background and yet only have a handful of well developed characters-all of whom are straight white males. Look at the original Star Wars for instance-you have one woman in a team of three-five if you count the robots. Or the Avengers movie where you have three named women: Hill, Black Widow and Pepper Potts.

My point (in a roundabout way) is that most instances of popular media have more male characters that are well developed-hence the five-man-band trope.

Ive seen many instances of the Lancer or the Smart Guy being ladies and The Chick or the Sixth Ranger being a dude. Its about archetypes. Yes its true that too many stories put females in rather lame archetypal roles, but even when the lady ratio is even and the archetypes arent so limited, i still tend to side with the dudes more. Its just a part of my nature. There are female characters i love like Tifa from FFVII, Sharla from Xenoblade, Elly from Xenogears, Arya, Luna Lovegood, etc. But i cant help but feel more drawn to characters like Jon Snow, Elrond, Dunban from Xenoblade, Severus Snape, etc. Given the examples ive laid out, the females are just as rounded as the males in terms of character development and writing goes.

Florina, I'm not judging you (I tend to like male characters more on average as well), just trying to figure out why.

See, there are two sets of reasons for why something happens: a proximate cause is a cause which is closest to an event, with an ultimate cause being an underlying or "real" cause under the proximate one. (And an "ultimate" cause can itself be "proximate" for a deeper ultimate cause. Nested causes!) So if someone says "why did the abandoned warehouse burn down", the proximate cause would be (if I understand my terms correctly) "because gasoline and accelerant and matches", but the ultimate cause would be "because the government wanted to cover up the evidence of the badly-scaled alien invasion". They're both causes but they're causes that answer the question from an entirely different point of view.

And this is important in literary analysis! Because one thing that is fun to do in literary analysis is to point out trends. So if, say, you notice a trend like Feminists Being Frequently Portrayed As Evil In Literature [1], and you then point out as an example that Queen Constantina Charlotte Ermintrude Gwinyvere Maisie Marguerite Anne [2] is of course Evil "because she's a feminist", then someone is going to pop up and helpfully explain that QCCEGMMA is evil because she bathes in the blood of her murdered servants every morning, and the fact that she's a feminist is just incidental.When this happens -- as it inevitably does -- the important thing to remember here is that we're talking proximate causes versus ultimate causes.

Yes, the proximate cause of QCCEGMMA's evilness is because she's a murderer who bathes in the blood of innocents. But the ultimate cause of her evilness, or so the deconstructer is asserting, is that the author didn't understand feminism and so decided to combine "feminism" with "evil". (Or even just made a mistake, and accidentally furthered to a disturbing trend!) And that this happens a lot.

Credit to Ana Mandoll for the above post.

Not even gonna freaking lie, you totes lost me with the feminist thing. So much. Cuz really, that has little to do with my point. My point: I like guys. Deal with it. :P

If a lady character is evil but awesomely so, im gonna like her just as much as i like the evil but awesomely so male character. Bonus points if the two evil people are battling each other!

I confess that in an utterly horrifying and perverse way I like the Jojen Paste theory. It would be impressively dark and tragic. :(

I also confess this being the case despite the fact that Bran is my favorite character.

And on this note, I confess that I like Bran more than Stannis.

Archived