Roose Bolton, is he actually evil?

OberynBlackfyre

Robb is braindead thats the point. The Starks remained lords paramount over the north when King Torrhen bent the knee. Perhaps, Joffrey would demand that Robb come to KL ro die, but Lord Tywin would see the oppurtunity in a king that bends the knee instead of having to be utterly destroyed.

The difference being he'd lose a lot of prestige unlike Torrhen who only gave up a crown for a bended knee, and continued to be largely autonomous.

Tywin had already started raping the Riverlands, before Robb ever came south. He was duty bound to help the Riverlords against Tywin. He had to convince guys like GREATJON, Roose Bolton and Karstark to follow him in doing so. If he chickened out like that it would've sent the message to the Riverlords and his own bannermen that he really didn't case about the Riverlands and that at the first sign of danger he'd bend knees. And to people who murdered his own father, and despoiled the ancestral lands of his mother.

As Cat said, you don't **** around with guys like GREATJON, Roose Bolton and Karstark. You need to appear strong, manly and militant otherwise they'll laugh in your face and disobey you. Even though Robb was a full pedigree Stark.

Robb is braindead thats the point. The Starks remained lords paramount over the north when King Torrhen bent the knee. Perhaps, Joffrey would demand that Robb come to KL ro die, but Lord Tywin would see the oppurtunity in a king that bends the knee instead of having to be utterly destroyed.

Would he now? How can you be so sure?

Would he now? How can you be so sure?

Yeah, I never agree with the people that think Robb could just bend the knee to anyone after taking up a crown. I think it's people dismissing the danger of reputation and the unwillingness of another king to live with a possible claimant for a throne waiting for a moment of weakness to start thinking he could rule again. It was win or die for the boy lord the moment he let his bannermen decide his fate.

The fact that there's even argument about this is freaking hilarious. Of course the guy is evil, what kind of question is that lol?

He killed a peasant's husband, then raped that peasant beneath the tree where her dead husband was hanging from. And he doesn't feel one bit of remorse about, describes it completely nonchalantly, and instead focuses on his horse being lamed and his disdain for the sex itself as not being worth it. Dude is as sick as they come. This doesn't even touch on his general implicit approval of Ramsay's "amusements" (yes, Roose knows exactly what Ramsay does and thinks that they are just amusements that should be kept quiet), the fact that he supports and seems to like flaying and torturing people, and that he betrayed his King and liege lord.

Yes, this guy is the definition of evil. And the fact that he's quiet or emotionless about it doesn't change a damn thing about that lol. Seriously?

You don't have to be really over the top sadist and psychopath like Ramsay who does terrible things "for the evulz" to be evil. Being a cold selfish and ruthless SOB is sometimes almost as bad and people like Roose are definitely evil. Rapist, mass murderer, fond of using torture - what more do you need to consider him evil?

Can't be truly evil without a sinister cackle. Its the saving grace of a Tywin or a Roose.

Roose is a saint. I wish I had a good ol' son like him.

He's also quite considerate of the smallfolk's well-being: when he does stuff that might upset them, like killing the miller and raping his wife under the swinging corpse, he has the sensitivity and generosity to rip out tongues to make sure that they don't hear about all this filth. THAT'S looking out for your people. A quiet rule, a peaceful land.

The fact that there's even argument about this is freaking hilarious. Of course the guy is evil, what kind of question is that lol?

He killed a peasant's husband, then raped that peasant beneath the tree where her dead husband was hanging from. And he doesn't feel one bit of remorse about, describes it completely nonchalantly, and instead focuses on his horse being lamed and his disdain for the sex itself as not being worth it. Dude is as sick as they come. This doesn't even touch on his general implicit approval of Ramsay's "amusements" (yes, Roose knows exactly what Ramsay does and thinks that they are just amusements that should be kept quiet), the fact that he supports and seems to like flaying and torturing people, and that he betrayed his King and liege lord.

Yes, this guy is the definition of evil. And the fact that he's quiet or emotionless about it doesn't change a damn thing about that lol. Seriously?

Agreed. I saw this thread start yesterday and assumed it would taper off, but the fact multiple people are vehemently arguing AGAINST Roose Bolton being evil is funnier than anything else I've found on the internet today.

The thing is, we have to decide on what "evil" means before we can even have this discussion. Evil to you isn't the same thing as evil to me. He's a rapist and a murderer and a torturer in addition to being a traitor. That doesn't inspire much affection in me. "Don't make me regret the day I raped your mother," he tells his murderous son. Yeah...

Archived