Which Houses (apart from the Martells) are the most likely to support Aegon?

BaseBornBastard

Because his liege lord Mace Tyrell is a greedy and incompetent oaf, taking credit for his victories in battle and snapping up Brightwater Keep (on which Randyl's wife has a claim) for his second son (as if Highgarden wasn't enough). Randyl may feel unappreciated and unrewarded, how much longer do the proud men of Horn Hill have to bow to Lord Puff Fish? Why not swear fealty to a (black) dragon returned instead?

I agree with you Mace is a greedy turd, but I think claiming Bridgewater Keep was a smart move to avoid in fighting between the Hightowers and the Tyrells. Remember Randyl killed a lot of men loyal to the Florents after Renly died. He may have tried to kill Alekyne if he got the chance as well, I doubt that the Hightowers who has Alekyne would have sat by while Randyl butchered his way to Bridgewater Keep, especially since they have a claim to it as well.

I think it will be mostly a bunch of smaller Houses as the big ones are tied up with some other cause at the moment. The only exception is House Arryn but even so Littlefinger may or may not support Aegon. You never know with that creep.

The Vale could get involved despite LF's wants.

Edit; rather than trying to be House specific, I'll list the types of houses I could see jumping in:

1) Houses with past loyalty to the Targs, especially if they have been marginalized since as a result.

2) Houses with extreme dissatisfaction with the turmoil of the present and see it as party to the upheaval of the Rebellion.

3) Houses dissatisfied with their lot in life as things stand, and gamble their lesser present for a greater future.

4) Houses with antagonism towards or fear of present major powers.

5) Houses Varys has leveraged.

Additionally, I would expect the Iron Bank to notice Aegon's successes soon enough.

Personally, I think if it was revealed that Varys and LF were in on it together that it would be the WORST GRRM made choice in the entire series, bar none. Even worse than UnCat, everything Slaver's Bay and keeping Bran alive all combined.

We know, from the first book, that Varys and Littlefinger don't like/trust each other. Varys was even telling Illyrio when Arya was listening in that Varys had not a single clue what Littlefinger was up to nor what his end goal was. Unless of course it turns out Varys was using Illyrio all along, but if that was the case, what would there be to be gained from lying to him about Littlefinger considering Illyrio is a Essos player? Of course, Varys using Illyrio seems likely, especially with Tyrion's thoughts about Illyrio looking small and weak in the distance.

It's pretty clear that whatever Varys is going to want is ALMOST going to succeed according to plan, then LF will come in last minute and destroy everything Varys has been working for. I think that, in general, it's very safe to assume that Littlefinger will ultimately be the defeat of Varys and most likely also his murderer. Especially considering GRRM has always tended to focus much more on Varys and his plotting, even if we don't understand him personally, more than Littlefinger.

Is it just me, or is the single greatest thing i'm hyped to see in the sixth book is Stannis's reaction to learning about Aegon and Jon? I really have NO fucking idea what to expect from Stannis upon hearing about the Targ landing, regardless of whether or not Stannis thinks he's real or fake.

I agree with you Mace is a greedy turd, but I think claiming Bridgewater Keep was a smart move to avoid in fighting between the Hightowers and the Tyrells. Remember Randyl killed a lot of men loyal to the Florents after Renly died. He may have tried to kill Alekyne if he got the chance as well, I doubt that the Hightowers who has Alekyne would have sat by while Randyl butchered his way to Bridgewater Keep, especially since they have a claim to it as well.

Tarly is highly ambitious. He supported Renly and then Lannisters because he wanted more lands. But Brightwater keep went to Garlan. As Tarly did not get any reward he went against both Tyrells and Lannisters and bethroted his son to Mooton's daughter to claim Maidenpool. Tarly is hungry and greedy. Also Tarly's current liege Lord is an idiot who steals the praise for Tarly's hardwork. The next in line is a cripple. We know how Tarly treats men who he doesn't consider masculine enough. So why would he follow these idiots when he can become Lord paramount or even the father of a queen? Also killing Florent men was a clear indication that he wanted the keep for himself. The Brightwater keep went to Garlan because Tyrells and especially Olenna fears Tarly and do not want him to get any more power. Tarly was not even given a portion of land.

Tarly is highly ambitious. He supported Renly and then Lannisters because he wanted more lands. But Brightwater keep went to Garlan. As Tarly did not get any reward he went against both Tyrells and Lannisters and bethroted his son to Mooton's daughter to claim Maidenpool. Tarly is hungry and greedy. Also Tarly's current liege Lord is an idiot who steals the praise for Tarly's hardwork. The next in line is a cripple. We know how Tarly treats men who he doesn't consider masculine enough. So why would he follow these idiots when he can become Lord paramount or even the father of a queen? Also killing Florent men was a clear indication that he wanted the keep for himself. The Brightwater keep went to Garlan because Tyrells and especially Olenna fears Tarly and do not want him to get any more power. Tarly was not even given a portion of land.

The greatest military bannerman of the Reach, and Mace treats him like a chump. Randyll needs a better liege lord...

The Martells will follow, beacause Aegon is related to them. The Tyrells will follow, because their bannermen will pressure them to do so, and Mace may want Margaery marry the new king (the marriage to Tommen can be annulled on the grounds of not being connsumed). Once Sansa is out, The Vale will join, and so will the North, and parts of Riverlands (ex: Blackwoods). The Stormlands are about to be conquered, so with the exception of Iron Islands, the Westerlands and parts of Riverlands (Freys, Brackens), anything else can be grabbed.

The 2 keys of his support are: King's Landing (the fall of the capital will be a huge impact on allegiences) and Sansa, wich is a far better match for Aegon, because brings with her more support, more regions and more men, while Maragery, doesn't, because the Tyrell's face removal as High Lords (Tarly, Hightower and Rowan will get irritated). For some reason I see Randyl Tarly in the Reach, the same way I see Roose Bolton in the North... something is about to happen...

Sansa mentioned that LF had been collecting "dragon banners" (tapestries?) so that seems to hint that he's either:

a) open to supporting someone like Dany or Aegon

b. going to wait and see, and if Dany/Aegon succeeds, well LF can raise his dragon banners and congratulate them.

House Tully right now does not have power, in my opinion, considering the Lannister/Freys have Riverrun. OTOH, it looks like Riverrun is about to get gutted by the BwB, so that's all highly speculative... if they regain power they may support Aegon. If the Lannister/Freys are in power when Aegon gets closer, then they will not declare for him.

So let's say for a moment Tarly abandons Mace and supports Aegon, wouldn't that then push the Hightowers to support Daenerys? I mean House Florent has been attainted, but the Hightowers are keeping Alekyne for a reason even though he has been attainted. If they were going to support Stannis they would have done so already, if they were going to continue to support the Tyrells they would have turned over Alekyne.

So let's say for a moment Tarly abandons Mace and supports Aegon, wouldn't that then push the Hightowers to support Daenerys? I mean House Florent has been attainted, but the Hightowers are keeping Alekyne for a reason even though he has been attainted. If they were going to support Stannis they would have done so already, if they were going to continue to support the Tyrells they would have turned over Alekyne.

If Aegon provides some aid against the Greyjoys (who may end up allied to Dany), I believe House Hightower will side with him. Tarly, the greatest general of the Reach, throwing in with Aegon may create momentum for the other Reach Lords, including House Hightower, to follow as well.

I think the Crabbs will for sure. It's a shame what happened to Nimble Dick. He would have been first amongst Aegon's Kingsguard.

Highgarden will. Think about it - Cersei is now free (thanks to Varys) to destroy Tommen's reign. Who else are they going to turn to?

Alekyne is a favourite relative (nephew, i think) of Lady Hightower. She is protecting him out of love and not for any ulterior motives.

Alekyne is a favourite relative (nephew, i think) of Lady Hightower. She is protecting him out of love and not for any ulterior motives.

Mace is too ambitious for his own good, but claiming Bridgewater Keep I don't think was a selfish move. He is married to a Hightower and the Hightowers may not have interest in claiming Bridgewater Keep for themselves, but as you pointed out Alekyne is a nephew of Rhea Florent (Hightower). Her older sister Melessa is married to Randyll and we know what kind of man he is, I think you're right with Lady Hightower protecting Alekyne for love, but I also think they wanted to keep Bridgewater out of the hands of Randyll. Which is why I believe if Randyll supports Aegon, they may be forced to support the other option in Daenerys. Randyll making that kind of move puts a lot of people in a very desperate spot.

I do feel that Hightowers will stay neutral to all conflicts except those that directly involve them like Euron's attack. So, i do not feel Hightowers will side with anyone. They are Switzerland. There is no compulsion for them to support Daenerys simply because Tarly is supporting Aegon. If Rhea Florent Hightower has her way, she'll fight both Tyrells and Tarlys as they are fighting over her maternal home. I do feel that in the end Tyrells will be banished from the Reach much like Manderlys were though it is only a gut feeling. Tyrells have pissed off too many houses.

I could see Randyl betraying the Tyrell's. I also think Lord Rowan of Goldengrove will turn on them as well. During a council meeting in ASOS when Tywin said he would give the Martell's "justice" for Elia's murder, Tyrion noted that Rowan looked 'fit to gag' while Mace Tyrell and Lord Redwyne didn't seem to care. Plus Cersei revoked his council seat in AFFC. He is probably pissed.

Now that Aegon has taken Storm's End, the Stormland lords will go over to him quick enough. They never loved Stannis anyway. The Riverlands are a ruin, and the Westerlands certainly aren't going over to him. Neither is the North imo. I really don't see LF and Varys working together either, they are rivals. The relationship they have on the show also makes it hard to believe they would ever work together. So Aegon will have to make due with Dorne, the Stormlands and like half of the Reach.

I could see Randyl betraying the Tyrell's. I also think Lord Rowan of Goldengrove will turn on them as well. During a council meeting in ASOS when Tywin said he would give the Martell's "justice" for Elia's murder, Tyrion noted that Rowan looked 'fit to gag' while Mace Tyrell and Lord Redwyne didn't seem to care. Plus Cersei revoked his council seat in AFFC. He is probably pissed.

Now that Aegon has taken Storm's End, the Stormland lords will go over to him quick enough. They never loved Stannis anyway. The Riverlands are a ruin, and the Westerlands certainly aren't going over to him. Neither is the North imo. I really don't see LF and Varys working together either, they are rivals. The relationship they have on the show also makes it hard to believe they would ever work together. So Aegon will have to make due with Dorne, the Stormlands and like half of the Reach.

Actually i think Mathis Rowan is dead. Jon Con said that they will take Storm's End by guile. So they must have killed the siege of Mathis to show the Stannis men inside that they are Stannis men too. This also fulfills the criteria of people cheering Aegon.

Actually i think Mathis Rowan is dead. Jon Con said that they will take Storm's End by guile. So they must have killed the siege of Mathis to show the Stannis men inside that they are Stannis men too. This also fulfills the criteria of people cheering Aegon.

Maybe...or perhaps Rowan was in on it? They played up a mummer's battle with Rowan's forces, got Stannis's men to open the gates and then slaughtered them. Assuming that is how they did it of course. There is a lot of ways the taking of Storm's end could play out.

Maybe...or perhaps Rowan was in on it? They played up a mummer's battle with Rowan's forces, got Stannis's men to open the gates and then slaughtered them. Assuming that is how they did it of course. There is a lot of ways the taking of Storm's end could play out.

So they play fight, then Mathis and his men step aside, the gates open, Aegon conquers Storm's End? I do not see any way for Aegon to take Storm's End without killing Mathis Rowan.

Is it just me, or is the single greatest thing i'm hyped to see in the sixth book is Stannis's reaction to learning about Aegon and Jon? I really have NO fucking idea what to expect from Stannis upon hearing about the Targ landing, regardless of whether or not Stannis thinks he's real or fake.

This is something that intrigues me as well. He has made several statements about Aerys that lead me to think that he considered him to be a madman. He is mum about Rhaegar and Dany. It seems fair to say that at the least, he did not oppose Jon Arryns policy of not assasinnating Viserys and Dany. Mel told him that more usurpers would rise up after Joff, Robb, and Balon died. He will probaly consider Aegon to a Pretender but Dany and her dragons is something else all together. He can't dispute her claim and the dragon thing and the fact that a lot of his co-religionists consider her to be AA will really be a kick in the groin. It would be interesting to know what he thought about Rhaegar considering who Jon might be.

So they play fight, then Mathis and his men step aside, the gates open, Aegon conquers Storm's End? I do not see any way for Aegon to take Storm's End without killing Mathis Rowan.

Actually, I was thinking more like Rowan might sacrifice any Tyrell loyalists that are apart of the forces Mace left him with. Are they all Rowan's men at SE, do we know? If they are then, my theory can't work obviously.

I just think Rowan and Tarly both have reason to be mad at the Tyrell's and Lannister's (Rowan got robbed of his council seat), so I could see them both betraying them. Even if the GC does really attack the entire Reach force outside SE, there is no guarantee they will kill Rowan, he could get away or be captured and then betray the Tyrells from then on.

Archived