Coldhands is The Night's King

Quiet Isle

My Theory

Coldhands is probably not a major missing character but rather just a member of the Night's Watch that went Ranging with Brynden Rivers in 252AC. He died protecting his Lord Commander and Brynden survived by Coldhands sacrifice and by reaching the cave where he now resides...now, the dead ranger is a Thrall of Bloodraven...similar to the Wights. I do believe Coldhands is a wight similar to the ones controlled by the Others, but since the Others do not speak the common tongue, the wights who were formally men cannot communicate; whereas Coldhands can. It is my belief that when Coldhands speaks, it is Brynden Rivers speaking through Coldhands.

The Others have the bright blue eyes and all the dangerous Wights have Bright Blue Eyes...I think that is a sign that their body is being controlled by something else. My guess is The Others are few in number but have the power to control dead beings and they use them for their army or travel needs (horses and the like).

Brynden Rivers "Bloodraven" commanded The Raven's Teeth, a company of longbowmen, many of which took the black with Bloodraven, IIRC. Remember all those Ravens who protected Coldhands when he saved Sam (symbolism), and then continue to travel with them?

Plus Leaf said they killed him long ago. That duration is relative but I don't think 2-3 years can be considered long ago by a CotF.

Leaf says she has seen 200 years while we know Brynden Rivers is 125. When compared to the age of the wall, they are close in age. Compared to the age of Bran, the age difference is huge. Everything is relative.

But in my opinion, when Leaf says Long Ago regarding when 'they' killed Coldhands, I interpret that as longer than 2-3 years ago, which would eliminate Benjen Stark as Coldhands.

We do not know enough about the Night's King to know what is downfall was or if he just retreated. I have a hard time grasping the notion that the Night's King went from being 'king' to roaming the lands beyond the wall for eternity then helping out another former Lord Commander.

• 4 weeks later...

Or Craster. To me its Brandon Stark=Night King = Cold Hands

But no, Coldhands has a certain resigned "goodness" to him in both his actions, attitude to himself, as in a "given up", disinterested way, such as a creature that is ancient, and tired of roaming the earth.

GRRM has told us literally, his name. Its no coincidence they are both named Brandon Stark, (The Night King as almost certainly named by Old Nan to Bran) and the creature said both aspects simultaneously when it said "I am your monster, Brandon Stark" (at your service). It seemed a wistful response to being called a monster.

The Night's King was also a Lord Commander of the Night Watch, so there is the other answer as to why CH is helping Bryndon, another LC of the NW.

I think that, in whatever capacity Jon is healed or revived, he will be in a role similar to that of the Night's King. Jon's being taken to the Heart of Winter after his stabbing would give GRRM time to show us that his Others are more than the traditional Dark Lord in the vein of Sauron.

I mean its an appealing theory at first but then I wonder why the heck would the NK who has possibly been shown on the show on one end be converting babies to Others and leading a Wight army while luring Brandon north with bloodraven.

The same way the Green Men were formed on the Isle, I think it's what the Children and BR did with Coldhands. A surrogate for him essentially.

The show's NK isn't necessarily what GRRM's cooking up for the last books. NIce theory about the Green Men and all, though.

I have a new idea recently that the Green Men are immortal vessels/surrogates for the Greenseers on the Isle. It's like the ultimate Jedi Council of Westeros haha.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't know who the Night King is, but I do believe he is a Stark. Obviously a very old one. If it is known that he was a Stark, I don't understand why his name can't be mentioned. If his name can't be mentioned, then it can't be a Brandon as there are a lot of Brandon Starks in the history of that house. It would seem that the Brandon's of House Stark have played important roles throughout its history. We already know that our current Brandon is a powerful warg and greenseer.

As far as the woman who the 13th LC gave his seed and soul to, we have never seen or had reference to another female White Walker. If she is a Queen, and the only one of her kind and is being hidden and protected by the Others I can understand that. It would explain why Craster sacrificed his sons to the Others. Perhaps they have to provide their Queen with babies because she cannot have her own. Perhaps she needs fresh souls to stay alive.

Yeah, I know its crackpot, but, we don't know if the Walkers are good or evil or what their purpose is. I think it was a huge mistake to leave Gilly's baby in place of Mance's. That baby by some unholy pact with Craster belongs to them and they want it back!

Coldhands may just be another minion of the Walkers and I still am not sure that Bloodraven is good or evil. I am sure that if he is evil, our Bran will figure it out.

Btw, just because you give your seed, that doesn't mean a baby was born.

The one thing about the White Walkers that made them seem evil to me was the very first prologue when they were laughing while they slaughtered Waymer Royce.

Coldhands could also be older than Bloodraven. But I think he is definitely tied either with Bloodraven or with the Night's King.

I don't really buy him being the Night's King, but he could have been a part of his army or a member of Night's Watch at the time who defected because he objected the Night King's intentions

Or Craster. To me its Brandon Stark=Night King = Cold Hands

But no, Coldhands has a certain resigned "goodness" to him in both his actions, attitude to himself, as in a "given up", disinterested way, such as a creature that is ancient, and tired of roaming the earth.

GRRM has told us literally, his name. Its no coincidence they are both named Brandon Stark, (The Night King as almost certainly named by Old Nan to Bran) and the creature said both aspects simultaneously when it said "I am your monster, Brandon Stark" (at your service). It seemed a wistful response to being called a monster.

The Night's King was also a Lord Commander of the Night Watch, so there is the other answer as to why CH is helping Bryndon, another LC of the NW.

Do remember that the only thing Nan said she was certain of was that NK was a Stark. She said his name could have been Brandon, mostly as a nod to the Brandon she was telling the story to. If the KITN who took him down was his brother, than NK was not named Brandon, because that KITN was named Brandon. No way they named them both that.

Archived