Small questions v.10000

Angalin

Maybe he's just picking up on his best friend's trick, but I think it's probable that he did it to scare Sandor, even if he didn't know the story of how the Hound got burned, or that he is deathly afraid of fire, he obviously sees that his face is burned and would probably think to light his sword up as an intimidation tactic.

He uses a flaming sword again later in the battle Arya watches. I mean wouldn't you, if you could?

I know that both Robb and Jon are supposed to be about 14 at the start of AGoT, or about 17/18 in the TV show, but1...

Did Eddard meet and marry Catelyn BEFORE the war ended/Tower of Joy2, thus Ned meeting Cat and Robb being conceived first?

Just curious, i've always wondered which of the two boys was older3 and if Ned had actually met and/or married Cat before the Jon thing happened.

These aren't really small questions, and are some what debatable but the bare bones are

1. Both Jon and Robb were born in 283. The story starts in late of 297(prologue, and Bran chapter) so they are around 14/15 at the start. As for the show, who knows.

2. As far as the story goes Ned married Cat, then went off to war. After the end of the War, Ned goes to the ToJ, and goes back north with Jon. When Cat, and Robb get to WF, Ned is there with Jon.

3. That is a really big question, with the Story saying Robb is older, and some thinking Jon is really older.

Small question - I recently started listening to podcasts on the way to work and an after a good ASOIAF podcast to listen too. There ate so many yo chose from!

Currently listened to a few episodes of blood, gore and swords which is quite funny but the hosts are very open about being fans of the show and not having read the books, also the format is really a play by play on each of the episodes. This isn't quite what I'm after.

What I'd like is something that poses questions, highlights things you might have missed and delves deeper into the world than 'what people have seen on tv'. Basically something like this forum but in podcast form. Any suggestions?

Sorry, maybe not so quick a question!

Why does Beric Dondarrion battle Sandor with a flaming sword? Isn't that Thoros of Myr's schtick?

Simply, because he could.

Maybe he's just picking up on his best friend's trick, but I think it's probable that he did it to scare Sandor, even if he didn't know the story of how the Hound got burned, or that he is deathly afraid of fire, he obviously sees that his face is burned and would probably think to light his sword up as an intimidation tactic.

It's not that simple, Thoros used to dip his sword in wildfire before tournaments, Dondarion light his with HIS BLOOD! Dondarion uses real magic to do this, and it has nothing to do with scarring Sandor, Rhaloo is the god of fire, if someone is judging another someone in his name and he can light his sword (with a drop of blood) why wouldn't he?

Dumb as this may seem i always had a hard time picturing the Dornish. Ive heard them being Spanish or Mexican like. However i seen them as a more Italian, Greek type maybe a little Arabic too.

If anyone knows better please school me

Everybody is quite free to picture the characters in their head as they wish to. I do not really see the point of your question, to be honest. The Dornish are described to have dark skin and hair mostly - make of that what you will. Nobody can tell you how to imagine them exactly.

Small question - I recently started listening to podcasts on the way to work and an after a good ASOIAF podcast to listen too. There ate so many yo chose from!

Currently listened to a few episodes of blood, gore and swords which is quite funny but the hosts are very open about being fans of the show and not having read the books, also the format is really a play by play on each of the episodes. This isn't quite what I'm after.

What I'd like is something that poses questions, highlights things you might have missed and delves deeper into the world than 'what people have seen on tv'. Basically something like this forum but in podcast form. Any suggestions?

Sorry, maybe not so quick a question!

No idea, nothing like that that I heard of, but welcome to the forum, first-time poster.

Do any of the Crownland's bannermen assist in the defence of King's Landing against Stannis in A Clash of Kings?

I know that Rosby and the Sokeworths were in the city at the time, so I guess they had also some of their guards there. But I cannot be sure.

Hello I have a question about Lyanna Stark and blue roses. I have looked it up in the books and did a.search in.this.forum.but could find no explanation to the connection between Lyanna and blue roses, and yet it seems it is a pretty wel known fact amongst fans. Please, where in the books do we ever read about blue roses???

Hello I have a question about Lyanna Stark and blue roses. I have looked it up in the books and did a.search in.this.forum.but could find no explanation to the connection between Lyanna and blue roses, and yet it seems it is a pretty wel known fact amongst fans. Please, where in the books do we ever read about blue roses???

Rhaegar gave Lyanna a bouquet of blue roses at Harrenhal (when he crowned her as the queen of love and beauty).

When she was dying, she was clutching blue roses in her hands.

I believe both info are to be found in Eddard's chapters.

Dumb as this may seem i always had a hard time picturing the Dornish. Ive heard them being Spanish or Mexican like. However i seen them as a more Italian, Greek type maybe a little Arabic too.

If anyone knows better please school me

This is my first post! I just read this part of Storm of Swords and there are three different types of Dornish looks. I think they're called the Salty, Sandy, and ... I forget the 3rd, but each of the three types are described quite differently. One of the three (the one I can't remember) is more Andal - blond/blue eyed and the other two are described as darker of hair and darker of skin. The Red Viper is considered Salty (I think).

Welcome to the Forum, SFP! It's always nice to see such a pleasant addition to our community :grouphug:

This is my first post! I just read this part of Storm of Swords and there are three different types of Dornish looks. I think they're called the Salty, Sandy, and ... I forget the 3rd, but each of the three types are described quite differently. One of the three (the one I can't remember) is more Andal - blond/blue eyed and the other two are described as darker of hair and darker of skin. The Red Viper is considered Salty (I think).

The third type was called Stony iirc. That's the one where they look more Andalish (i.e. their hair can be brown or blond and their skin type is lighter). And just to confirm: Yep, the Martells are Salty.

IIRC When Ned thinks of the Blue Roses that R gave L he saids they were her fav. Which is why I always thought that R had it made special for Lyanna.

Why is Jorah referred to as the Andal? Aren´t the Mormonts actually First Men?

The Dothraki think of all Westeros as Andals, and that is most likely to be the reason.

But we are not sure that Mormonts are FM. They were given Bear Island, by The Stark, after he won it wrestling a bear. Or so the story goes.

The Dothraki think of all Westeros as Andals, and that is most likely to be the reason.

But we are not sure that Mormonts are FM. They were given Bear Island, by The Stark, after he won it wrestling a bear. Or so the story goes.

Yes, that's what I've figured as well. I would guess dothraki would think they were the first men (almost every culture would probably have a story of how the first men were of their origin) and also, they would most probably not know that Westerosi can be Andals, FM and Rhoynar. So they are Andals, Jorah is an Andal. Dany is Valyrian, although she is technically from Westeros.

I believe the Mormonts are FM. I would assume. Because it's said that the Stark King won the island from the ironborn king who controlled it, and I believe the last time the ironborn were controlling something that North was before the Andal invasion.

Has GRRM ever explained what a year is?

How in the world can you measure a winter by how many years it lasted >.<

Is Westeros really good at astronomy?

He confirmed that a year is the time the planet needs to go round the sun. And that's not that hard to measure when looking at the configurations of stars. Which kind of comes natural when you don't have electric lighting I guess.

Years are not based on seasons, even in the real world. They are based on how long it takes the earth to revolve around the sun... i.e., on astronomy, the position of the sun and moon and stars. Ancient monuments like Stonehenge and Newgrange served astronomical purposes as well as religious, and helped measure the passage of years, the summer and winter solstices, etc.

i was just rereading adwd and came to part when jeor takes tyrion as a captive, and i cannot help but wonder, wtf was jeor doing there of all the places in the world. i'm not really buying in to "his queen and love banished him so he was drowning in sea of wine and blonde cunts" story.

i was just rereading adwd and came to part when jeor takes tyrion as a captive, and i cannot help but wonder, wtf was jeor doing there of all the places in the world. i'm not really buying in to "his queen and love banished him so he was drowning in sea of wine and blonde cunts" story.

Why not? What else he got to do?

Lol, fair enough, but that's obviously the answer to your question. He was banished from his homeland because he sold slaves to try and please his horrible wife, then he tries to get home by being the mole to Dany, but falls in love with her. She banishes him. To me, it seems very likely that he'd respond to this most unfortunate series of events with wine and women.

Archived