Small questions v.10000

Angalin

These aren't really small questions, and are some what debatable but the bare bones are

1. Both Jon and Robb were born in 283. The story starts in late of 287(prologue, and Bran chapter)

I think you mean 297.

Why is Jorah referred to as the Andal? Aren´t the Mormonts actually First Men?

He is referred to as an Andal by the Dothraki. Their word for Westeros literally means "Land of the Andals" so it's not surprising they call everyone from there an Andal. I would compare it to how England is used when the speaker is actually talking about all of the UK, or how during the Crusades all western Christians were called Franks.

Why didn't the northern hill tribes (Big Bucket Wull and the others now with Stannis) ride south with Robb? They'll ride to save "Ned's girl" but not Ned himself? Are they not actually bannermen of Winterfell?

Why didn't the northern hill tribes (Big Bucket Wull and the others now with Stannis) ride south with Robb? They'll ride to save "Ned's girl" but not Ned himself? Are they not actually bannermen of Winterfell?

IIRC, there was an issue of communication. Getting in touch with them in time to get to Winterfell and ride south.

Also, the same reason that Stannis had to go to them to get them to follow him. Maybe Robb would have had to make more time consuming personal requests.

Also, at least some of them did go. A Norrey died at the RW.

IIRC, there was an issue of communication. Getting in touch with them in time to get to Winterfell and ride south.

Also, the same reason that Stannis had to go to them to get them to follow him. Maybe Robb would have had to make more time consuming personal requests.

Also, at least some of them did go. A Norrey died at the RW.

Lord Wull came to Winterfell once, to do his fealty and talk with Father. I think it's because they were too far away to gather up before Robb needed to march south. He had a Norrey as one of his bodyguards though.

Thank you. I've been wondering about this lately...need to do a reread, but in the meantime this thread is very useful.

Here's another that's bugging me: Varys warns Jorah that there will be attempts on Dany's life. Why does he trust Jorah to protect her rather than do the deed himself and take the rewards that Robert was offering?

The Dothraki think of all Westeros as Andals, and that is most likely to be the reason.

But we are not sure that Mormonts are FM. They were given Bear Island, by The Stark, after he won it wrestling a bear. Or so the story goes.

ahhh alright, seems plausible, thanksalodd :cheers:

Im re-reading game of thrones and began to wonder whos the name sake of Sansa Stark?

Since

- Jon Snow = Jon Arryn

- Robb = King Robert

- Arya = Arryn

- Bran = Brandon

- Rickon = Rickard

But Sansa?!

I think Ned just let Catelyn name the girls. I don't remember any indication in the books that Arya was named for house Arryn. If Ned had had picked a name for Arya it probably would have been Lyanna.

Im re-reading game of thrones and began to wonder whos the name sake of Sansa Stark?

Since

- Jon Snow = Jon Arryn

- Robb = King Robert

- Arya = Arryn

- Bran = Brandon

- Rickon = Rickard

But Sansa?!

Sandor?

Joking aside, must the children have namesakes? Arya - Arryn seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Sandor?

Joking aside, must the children have namesakes? Arya - Arryn seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Well maybe, maybe not, but just stroke me as Yoren call her Arry in ACOF. Yet it seems to me GRRM seldom gives thinks away to coincidence and it makes me wonder why he should give the other kids names as reference of other great lords but not Sansa. And regarding Lyanna it seems to me that Ned somehow tries to downtone her memory toward the public about her (which of course mysterfy her) since he rarely talks about her, and only have the dreams of the tower of joy.

I think Ned just let Catelyn name the girls. I don't remember any indication in the books that Arya was named for house Arryn. If Ned had had picked a name for Arya it probably would have been Lyanna.

You might be right that he only names the boys to honor his friends and family, though im still curius if there was another possible answer.

An aria (Italian for air; plural: arie or arias in common usage) in music was originally any expressive melody, usually, but not always, performed by a singer. The term is now used almost exclusively to describe a self-contained piece for one voice usually with orchestralaccompaniment.

http://fr.wikipedia....nza_(instrument)

I couldn't find an english wiki for the latter, but yes, point is, they are both related to music, you know, the song... :)

An aria (Italian for air; plural: arie or arias in common usage) in music was originally any expressive melody, usually, but not always, performed by a singer. The term is now used almost exclusively to describe a self-contained piece for one voice usually with orchestralaccompaniment.

http://fr.wikipedia....nza_(instrument)

I couldn't find an english wiki for the latter, but yes, point is, they are both related to music, you know, the song... :)

If only there was something thematic in this series having to do with a song ...

In all seriousness, Tze had an interesting post about how Arya and Sansa might fit the Visenya and Rhaenys roles for Jon at some point. If his is "the song of ice and fire," funny if he should be accompanied by two cousins with musical-motif names.

I think you mean 297.

yes, a typo, that I over looked 3x.

When Robb gather up and left with his men, it was to rescue a still alive Ned. Speed was the most important thing. Cassel was trying to gather up more troops, but got side tracked by Ironmen, and other things.

Has anyone's theories for future asoiaf books here came true? After A Dance with Dragons was released

There is an old thread some where, way back that was something like which theories were proven true/false. Somebody found it and reposted a link last summer( IIRC on a small questions thread)

Archived