The fate of the weasel clan, the Freys

Optimus Brian

The Freys are truly fucked.

The weasel clan, by the end of Dance with Dragons and judging by the teaser Theon chapter from Winds of Winter, are in a very precarious position...so much so I think they will be decimated in Winds of Winter and boy am I happy at this prospect. :cheers:.

They face enemies on more than one front, their forces are split, one army heading for disaster, several of their senior family members and commanders dead, and most importantly their allies and the small folk mistrust them and have no true allegiance to them.

Logistically their forces, small and weakened by the War of the Five Kings, are split into two small armies - one is currently on a seemingly suicidal march to meet Stannis' host after being sent out of Winterfell. This force comprises 2,000 men. As of Winds of Winter Aenys Frey, the commander is dead and the Frey vanguard has been cut down in size due to Mors Umber's pits outside Winterfell. The Commander leading them now is Hosteen Frey, a man considered by Stannis to be a complete moron aptly named as Ser Stupid. Also Hosteen was the main antagonist against Wyman Manderly, attacking him and causing the fight within Winterfell. Hosteen is Angry and stupid. And is marching towards Stannis with very hostile Manderly forces, albeit smaller, moving towards Stannis also. You can bet this Frey force is not going to be surviving the fight against Stannis and to be honest I would be surprised if they even make it to Stannis with Mandererly hot on their heels.

The second portion of their army is currently stationed at Riverrun. It is mentioned this stands at 2,000 strong under Ser Ryman, another highly incompetent Frey commander. Riverrun is currently in Frey control however the Blackfish escaped, the Lannister Army are no longer stationed at Riverrun and Ryman Frey was found hanged by the BwB. The fact Tom O Sevens a known member of the BwB is at Riverrun leads me to believe Riverrun will be infiltrated by the BwB and a sack of Riverrun from inside possibly by night-time attack is on the Cards. If this is the case the Frey's will have lost Riverrun and their 'Northern' Army will be decimated in the upcoming battle against Stannis/Manderley.

The Lannisters are not fans of the Freys. The Lions are in a precarious position themselves, severely weakened by the war and Tywin's death. Jaime and Daven effectively leading the house after Kevan's death have made their disdain for Frey's known to each other. The Freys have effectively lost the support of the Lannisters.

Some Freys are with Gatehouse Ami at Darry Castle in the Riverlands but by the accounts given they are not sizeable. In fact one of them Arwood was dispatched to Saltpans with some Freys investigating the sack of Saltpans.

Stevron, Petyr, Merrett, Ryman, Rhaegar, jared, and Symond Frey are dead, many more could very well be disposed of. The two Freys seemingly left commanding any forces are Edwyn Frey, son of Ryman and heir to the Crossing at this moment and Arwood Frey who is in Saltpans.

Also, the Freys have gained enmity with the small folk for the Red Wedding, the small folk having their own martial forces (to some extent) with the Faith Militant who are probably none too pleased with the Red Wedding, though I really cannot see the Sparrows or the small folk playing an active role in the demise of the Weasels.

Furthermore, the Freys now as the Great House of the Riverlands have to guard the population against outlaws, the BwB and other groups rampaging through the countryside (noting that this rampaging has been culled somewhat by the winding down of the war). They just do not have the numbers or resources to do so (sending only Arwood Frey and a handful of Frey vassals to investigate the sacking of a large town, Saltpans).

The Freys my friends are fucked...and if they survive past Winds of Winter I would be shocked and disappointed. There are only two books left, they've had enough coverage and their time is due to leave the scene. They played their part in the story, and even though they contributed to several key events they just don't have the depth in their villanry that I would have liked. Roose is a great character, Tywin was a half decent character (in the TV series much better) and Ramsay is a brilliant character, his villanry often sees him eclipse POV characters. The Freys in my opinion were good for the story overall but since Storm of Swords have been forgetful and I really do hope they are done away with. It's too late to develop them into something akin to the Boltons so they need to be wound down as a set of characters. The series as a whole is about to enter endgame and a lot of loose ends need to be sorted out by the end of Winds of Winter. The Freys will be decimated at Riverrun and outside Winterfell, and the Twins will fall to a Riverlands Army under Blackfish or indeed the BwB. Or the very least, their forces will be crushed and they'll bend the knee to whomever topples the Lannister cub on the throne.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Death to the Weasel clan!

They don't need to be made extinct, it is too big of a clan it shouldn't be wiped out fully (a good number had little if anything to do with the R W scheme); but they do need to be destroyed as a noble house and their holdings giving to non-faithless murderers. And regardless of the outcome of the story its almost certainly gonna happen.

Furthermore, the Freys now as the Great House of the Riverlands have to guard the population against outlaws, the BwB and other groups rampaging through the countryside

Good summary, but if I can just pick out this part...

The Frey's aren't the great house of the riverlands. Riverrun was granted to Ser Emmon Frey, so his family will become a cadet branch "House Frey of Riverrun" which is distinct from the main branch "House Frey of the Crossing".

Ser Emmon was given Riverrun, but the high lordship of the riverlands went to Petyr Baelish.

Frey Obliteration. Everyone will be happy. Hope it has a personal element to it - Eg shame if they just gradually get hacked to pieces over several battles - much better to see the deaths of notable individuals (esp Late Lord Walder) up close & personal and delivered by someone who really means it.

Would NOT be Happy if he just dies of old age before someone can exact revenge.

(Gosh do I really dislike a fictional person this much !)

Littlefinger is doing well for himself. I cant see Walder Frey lasting past the next book, or Lady Stoneheart for that matter. Assuming that the Others are actually going to make a move I would think that would take up a huge portion of the last book, all these storylines have to have resolution in winds of winter.

I think they will survive as a House but will be driven from the Twins, and unlike the Manderlys no one will want to take them in (they can hardly expect guestright/hospitility after the RW after all)..Perhaps some of the more reknowned one's can get some small keep somewhere but thats about it.

I think they will survive as a House but will be driven from the Twins, and unlike the Manderlys no one will want to take them in (they can hardly expect guestright/hospitility after the RW after all)..Perhaps some of the more reknowned one's can get some small keep somewhere but thats about it.

... and abandon the name and arms, which will end House Frey.

Wouldn't it be fitting if all of Lord Walder's children died before him? They all bicker about who the next Lord of the Crossing is going be. It would be sweet justice if he just sat in his chair and decayed slowly knowing that all of his heirs are being executed and the whole line will perish.

As much as we'd all like Lord Frey to suffer before he goes, I think it's more likely that he'll die off soon of old age and we'll get to hear about his heirs tearing themselves to pieces. I'm not sure if Edwyn will even be alive by that point, especially if the theories regarding Black Walders complicity in Ser Stevron and Rymans deaths are true.

Maybe the "good" Freys(Olyvarr, Roslin, etc) survive.

... and abandon the name and arms, which will end House Frey.

A weasel stays a weasel. :cool4:

Then again the "Rosby Freys" seem to be the only non weasels. I hope they do what you suggest.

And for the rest of the Frey-Spawn:

We already have frey pies, why not complete the dinner with a fine weasel soup? Lord Manderly would be pleased with this I guess :devil:

Archived