Varys & Illyrio Theories

lioneagle7

Ah yes my favourite eunuch and cheesemonger in one thread.

There are numorous other subtle references riddled throughout the series foreshadowing a second dance of dragons, and that a Blackfyre pretender would be one of those dragons. The wonderful poster Tze has over time posted a number of these references, for example, the sign at an inn which depicted a black dragon turning red through rust after the sign fell. There are also numorous off comments made by characters that highten this suspecion (Illyrio's comment about that it didn't matter what colour the dragon was, a dragon is a dragon). Also Martin kind of empahizes that Tyrion wore old children's clothes (we officially don't know about Illyrio's children) and Illyrio's reaction when he parted with Tyrion was telling (Illyrio got emotional).

I believe Aegon is real. A real Blackfyre it is. Right now the best theory I've seen, is that Aegon is Illyrio's and Serra's son. Serra, being decended from the female Blackfyre line.

Aegon is also the murmur's dragon. And it's not because he's a fake dragon, but because he's the dragon sponsered by the murmurs (Varys was an ex-murmur reportedly).

The only questions I have is what Illyrio is doing with Serra's hands in his bedchamber (if true), why he gave the dragon eggs in the first place to such an untrustworthy party as the Dothraki (he could've given something else of great value) and he expected Dany to die anyway (if that is true), and if Varys' endgame really includes putting Aegon on the throne.

I agree with Scipio Africanus completely. I couldn't say it any better so I didn't.

• 4 months later...

Personally, I don't think that Aegon is fake. I have read tons of evidence for and against, and I can't really dispell a lot of the really clever points made in either case, but here's my take on it. Aegon being fake is a bit of a let-down. If George R. R. Martin is indeed building up to a second Dance of the Dragons, wouldn't it be more emotional if Aegon and Dany are both true Targaryens and Dany has to fight what is probably her last living family member because he refuses to share the Throne and/or becomes mad like King Aerys? Having Aegon revealed as a fake, which would almost certainly happen if any Black Dragon banners or the sword Blackfyre shows up, would just be rather boring. Dany would just be like "Oh, you're not a true Targaryen? Great, now I don't have to feel bad about killing you; you're just another pretender I have to deal with."

I do think, however, that the biggest bit of evidence supporting Varys is a Blackfyre supporter is his hatred for magic. Perhaps he did not know that the dragon eggs would hatch (maybe he intended for the eggs, Viserys and Dany to never return from the Dothraki Sea), and now that they have, perhaps he is responsible for the Citadel sending a person/team to kill Dany's dragons. I think Varys has his hands in both the Order of Maesters and in The Faith, to better prepare the realm for a true and lasting peace initiated by returning a Targaryen (real or fake) to the Iron Throne. I hope this is the case, because if the Citadel is working independently of everything else, then that is just another HUGE storyline on top of a mountain of other HUGE storylines.

Archived