Conventions in Germany in 2013

Alytha

Perlsacktiere? <lol>!

Got two of them actually. They always have a stall on the X-mas market over here - and it's hard to pass by without being tempted to buy one.

You into LARP? Me too, although up to now I just played "Vampire: live". But also for that setting I found stuff there.

They're great, aren't they ;) one day I'll have to buy one of the big ones, although they're fairly expensve.

I'm in a sci-fi/fantasy/larp club here. (to our shame, our last Larp was at least 3 years ago...), but we do knightly activities for kids at medieval markets, in costume.

In Vampire, you're not allowed to touch anybody, right? In our Larps, the main point is hitting each other with latex swords ;) (or shooting padded arrows at other people. Amazing fun, especially in the dark)

They're great, aren't they ;) one day I'll have to buy one of the big ones, although they're fairly expensve.

They're worth it. A friend of mine bought one for his god-child. The gift was well received and the kid liked to play with it.

I'm in a sci-fi/fantasy/larp club here. (to our shame, our last Larp was at least 3 years ago...), but we do knightly activities for kids at medieval markets, in costume.

I could go in costume, too. And I got a sword - which was made especially for me. Its leather sheath sports those "Friedensbänder".

In Vampire, you're not allowed to touch anybody, right?

Depends actually. Normally, it's "no touch" you're right. But if you tell people beforehand, touching is okay. Because as ST you might plan something that involves touching. And how is one supposed to give a hand-kiss to a lady (as a Ventrue, Toreador, an educated Brujah) without slightly touching the hand of the lady? Or if there's a dance, to dance properly?

In our Larps, the main point is hitting each other with latex swords ;) (or shooting padded arrows at other people. Amazing fun, especially in the dark)

I still need a good latex sword - my last wasn't simply right. It looked crooked. Padded arrows? <g> I'm a hobby archer, and I always grin when a seller tells a prospective customer about the lbs of a bow. ("It's 40 lbs....") *I* know that it takes time and training to shoot more than 20 lbs.

I used to do pretty serious archery, even some competition, although I found out I don't have the nerves for that ;)

I left my club because I couldn't stand the internal politics and training times were inconvenient. Haven't found a new one yet.

Maybe bow sellers at these kinds of fairs should be a bit more responsible towards obviously clueless buyers...besides not being able to pull it, you can hurt yourself quite badly if you don't know how to handle a bow.

My larp bow pulls about 20 lbs, which I think is the official limit for Larp.

I used to do pretty serious archery, even some competition, although I found out I don't have the nerves for that ;)

I left my club because I couldn't stand the internal politics and training times were inconvenient. Haven't found a new one yet.

The club I'm member of doesn't force its members to do it for competitions. You can shoot just for leisure, and nobody would mind that. As long as you stick to the rules - not letting other people (ie. non-members) on the ground, using the official curves, etc.

A couple of years ago, eight members of the club (we are about 120 members altogether) took part in the German championships.

Maybe bow sellers at these kinds of fairs should be a bit more responsible towards obviously clueless buyers...besides not being able to pull it, you can hurt yourself quite badly if you don't know how to handle a bow.

Oh yes. I second that absolutely.

I found out by doing that a bowstring isn't flexible anymore when it slams against your upper arm...

My larp bow pulls about 20 lbs, which I think is the official limit for Larp.

So it's actually illegal? Didn't know that - but it's good to know. Next time, I'll tell a seller if I notice.

Whereabouts are you? I might look for a club in Germany because I live just across the river.

Hmm, I don't know how official the limitation is, actually, or by whom. The 20-25lbs limitation was something that was floating around when I was doing more Larps. Maybe it's just common sense.

But I imagine that even padded Larp arrows might not be safe anymore if you shoot them from a 40lbs bow. The carbon fibre arrow shaft might just punch through.

I guess it's not illegal to sell bows of any draw, unless there was some kind of note that they're strictly for Larp use. People might just hang them on the wall, or do target shooting or shoot squirrels or something. At least over here, a bow is not officially a weapon, but a sports implement.

Whereabouts are you? I might look for a club in Germany because I live just across the river.

I live in Münster, Westfalia. My archery club. Btw. which kind of bow did you shoot with? A compound or a recurve? Mine is a recurve blank.

Hmm, I don't know how official the limitation is, actually, or by whom. The 20-25lbs limitation was something that was floating around when I was doing more Larps. Maybe it's just common sense.

I guess it's more or less common sense, because no-one actually pulls more than 25 lbs. without practice.

But I imagine that even padded Larp arrows might not be safe anymore if you shoot them from a 40lbs bow. The carbon fibre arrow shaft might just punch through.

I suppose so, yes.

I guess it's not illegal to sell bows of any draw, unless there was some kind of note that they're strictly for Larp use. People might just hang them on the wall, or do target shooting or shoot squirrels or something. At least over here, a bow is not officially a weapon, but a sports implement.

Same over here.

Münster is a bit too far, I'm afraid ;)

I mainly did olympic recurve, with stabilisers and targetting and everything.

Then I have my sweet little horsebow for Larping, a kind of Mongolian horsebow that's mainly for decoration because it shoots like crap, and an Indian flatbow type bow that I made myself in a workshop, which amazingly shoots straight despite being totally asymetrical ;)

Now while I do enjoy chatting about Larps and archery, I hope some people do want to go to the Cons ;)

Don't be scared, we don't bite. Or shoot you. Probably.

Some interesting conventions in Germany this year:

HobbitCon30.3 - 01.04.2013 in Bonn

FedCon 22: 9. - 12.05.2013 in Düsseldorf

GalaxyCon 1:6. - 08.09.2013 in Düsseldorf

RingCon:18. - 20.10.2013 in Bonn

Anybody wanna meet up there? ;)

Well, Bonn is where I live and Düsseldorf is certainly close enough to be feasible.

Of course, the last time you suggested a meeting somewhere in the area (was it the Cologne Christmas market?) and I expressed interest I completely forgot about it until long after the date had passed... :blushing:

Which of the Cons would you be most interested in?

Personally, I think I'll try GalaxyCon and RingCon, although the latter doesn't seem to have any confirmed guests yet.

I might be able to visit Bonn/ Dusseldorf for the conventions barring any uni work. This furriner would love to meet the boarders from Germany (and nearby countries). :)

Also, if anyone is swinging by Berlin (I don't know if there are any boarders from Berlin - BOO!), pm me and I'd be happy to meet up with you for beer and currywurst :cheers:

I have no preference when it comes to conventions. I'm not sure what I'd even do at one, but if any boarders show up for one in my general vicinity I might be willing to find out.;)

And like Eyelesbarrow I'll propose that if anyone is in the area, we go find some regional food. Himmel un Ääd would probably a fitting choice for the Rhineland, and it even has slightly higher nutritional value than Currywurst.:P

Archived