Arya and Sansa's Musical Nomenclature

But I have one question - it's normal to name someone after your friends' first name, but after his family name? Which also happens to be the name of the region (the Vale of Arryn). It's like naming Sansa Barathea or Stormsendia?

OT, I know, but Barathea is a great name O_o :D

An alternative explanation for their names being related to music might be that they are representative of their "personal" songs.

Arya usually a solo has been associated to a lone wolf, and is wormed about this by Ned. Sansa an instrument was being "played" by others and now that she has changed her name she is taking more control of her situation.

I like your idea.

Thanks. :D

I think everyone had their "song" (internal stubble/battle). The Song of Ice and Fire will most likely be a combination of Dany, Jon and Bran or Dany, Jon and Tyrion.

Hmmmm, I always though maybe for stanza, as in poetry, sounds similar. She loves stories. Also goes with Sandor.

I think he was going there with the similar sounding names with:

Sansa - Sandor

Daenerys - Daario (also sort of close, Dany - Drogo, but he's also for the play on dragon)

Tyrion - Tysha (he calls this one out in the book, he remembers Tysha saying, “I love to say your name. Tyrion Lannister. It goes with mine. Not the Lannister, t’other part. Tyrion and Tysha. Tysha and Tyrion...”)

Hmmmm, I always though maybe for stanza, as in poetry, sounds similar. She loves stories. Also goes with Sandor.

I think he was going there with the similar sounding names with:

Sansa - Sandor

Daenerys - Daario (also sort of close, Dany - Drogo, but he's also for the play on dragon)

Tyrion - Tysha (he calls this one out in the book, he remembers Tysha saying, “I love to say your name. Tyrion Lannister. It goes with mine. Not the Lannister, t’other part. Tyrion and Tysha. Tysha and Tyrion...”)

Yes, and that flashback scene was what convinced me that Tysha really loved Tyrion when I first read ACOK - even though I still believed she had been hired by Jaime because there was nothing at the time to disprove it. It's just the thing for a 14-year old girl in love to say. :) It was also such a contrast to Shae and her "my giant of Lannister" and her desire to be lady Lannister - GRRM chose to have Tysha express a lack of interest in the "Lannister" aspect of Tyrion, the fact that he was a son of a noble, powerful and rich family.

There's also Alys and Elys, who Littlefinger talked about and mocked for their cheesy similar-sounding names.

GRRM generally likes alliteration, as seen in his book titles - which makes sense as alliteration is characteristic of Anglo-Saxon epic poetry.

Archived