Do the TWOW sample chapters spoil anything?

King Tyrion VIII

Just as a heads up to new fans who haven't read the preview chapters to any of these books yet, you may not want to. I'm trying not to read anything from Winds in advance because I did read the chapters for Dance and I must say I regret doing it because when Dance finally streeted reading it felt like I was slow getting out of the gate like a racehorse that just stands there when the starting pistol goes off (because of having to wade through the material I'd already read, and reading it again for the sake of honoring the $30 I'd just spent, and the whole thing was off to an anticlimactic start. Just saying. Better to wait till Christmas morning to unwrap the gifts.

Just as a heads up to new fans who haven't read the preview chapters to any of these books yet, you may not want to. I'm trying not to read anything from Winds in advance because I did read the chapters for Dance and I must say I regret doing it because when Dance finally streeted reading it felt like I was slow getting out of the gate like a racehorse that just stands there when the starting pistol goes off (because of having to wade through the material I'd already read, and reading it again for the sake of honoring the $30 I'd just spent, and the whole thing was off to an anticlimactic start. Just saying. Better to wait till Christmas morning to unwrap the gifts.

You remember what chapters were released off hand for Dance?

Why do u say that, theres no evidence of that IMO...

Of course i might be proven wrong

I think GRRM said Jon's last chapter from Dance was after the battle in Winterfell (ergo, after Theon's gift chapter), maybe someone can find the SSM

He is mostly known for playing Titus Pullo on the HBO series Rome.

Has a good physique for Victarion and definetly would make a good addiction to an already stellar cast.

Also I would think he has a great chance of getting the role since HBO hires a lot of actors who previously worked on an HBO project and GRRM loved Rome.

Second on Ray Stevenson for Victarion

...And has GRRM said when the book is going to come out? I really hope we don't have to wait for four years.

"I've already written 400 pages of my sixth book and I really look forward to publishing it in 2014, but I am really bad for predictions." ~ GRRM, October 2012

George R.R. Martin: “Trying to please everyone is a horrible mistake”

*Note: English is not the interviewer's first language. However, this is one of the more informative GRRM interviews I've come across.

Actually the Theon chapter takes place before the end of ADWD, so it doesn't prove that Stannis wasn't defeated.

I kind of feel like logic dictates that if Theon were a captive of Stannis, and Stannis were defeated by the Boltons, Ramsay would have "his Reek". We know Jeyne Poole was sent away, but we also know that Stannis would not send Theon away. He's kind of a prize captive. It's possible that Stannis could've killed Theon before the battle took place, or (highly unlikely, but not impossible) that Theon could've escaped, but I don't find any of that probable, so I would probably agree that the letter contained a lot of untruth.

James Purefoy needs to be the Red Viper. I can't imagine anyone better for 'He does my lord. The dwarf has quite convinced me' (in his best casual/menacing Marc Antony voice).

For that line alone I want to agree, but The RV isn't around long enough. I need me some Purefoy, and not two episodes worth.

You remember what chapters were released off hand for Dance?

The three sample chapters from GRRM's website were: Tyrion I, Daenerys I, and Jon I

Much later, Reek I was released in a Bantam promotional magazine and posted online afterwards.

GRRM read other chapters at cons, but I'll have to look back to refresh my memory on which ones. I know one was the prologue with Varamyr.

Update - the readings between 2005 & 2010 covered portons of the first 12 chapters, chapter 16 (Davos II) Chapter 17 (Daenerys III), Chapter 27 (The Wayward Bride/Asha I), and Chapter 53 (Daenerys IX).

I read the Theon sample chapter immediately after finishing ADWD. I don't feel it spoiled TWOW at all and it actually made me even more excited to read TWOW. How many sample chapters are there now? Do you feel they spoil anything major? If not then can you provide me links to them? I would like to read them if it won't spoil much. I don't know how many GRRM usually releases, but I don't want to end up feeling like I've read half of TWOW before it's even released.

George will not release any sample chapters that give anything major away...they'll be appetizers, nothing more

The Tyrion one is similar to the Theon one, setting the stage for the battle of Mereen but by no means spoiling it. The Arianne one you might want to avoid if you are concerned with spoilers.

Kinda think of it, both the Tyrion and Theon chapters are interesting because they both seem to be delivered to someone just before a battle. It like the characters are being delivered to a decisive point in the books.

Bantam also published a "sample" booklet containing the first three Dany chapters. I think this was done before the decision to split the POVs geographically prior to Feast's publication. I have a copy signed at home. So when I picked up Dance I'd read the first Tyrion and Jon chapters and the first three Dany chapters.

Worth noting is that there were some minor changes to the Dany chapters. I never did a line-by-line comparison, and I've only read Dance once so far, but they stood out to me at the time.

I kind of feel like logic dictates that if Theon were a captive of Stannis, and Stannis were defeated by the Boltons, Ramsay would have "his Reek". We know Jeyne Poole was sent away, but we also know that Stannis would not send Theon away. He's kind of a prize captive. It's possible that Stannis could've killed Theon before the battle took place, or (highly unlikely, but not impossible) that Theon could've escaped, but I don't find any of that probable, so I would probably agree that the letter contained a lot of untruth.

We all agree that the letter probably contains lots of untruth.

owever, the point here is if the theon sample chapter spoiled the fact that Stannis wasnt defeated by the boltons.

I think it does, because i consider that ALL the events in WoW will happen after ALL the events described in ADwD.

So, the way i see it, when Jon receivved the letter the battle even had happend.

All u have said its logical, but only works if Jon receveid the letter after the battle, so the Theon sample chapter happend before chronological.

IMO, theres no evidence to suport that. The reek stuff might be some trick.

Of course i can be wrong.

Archived