"Wow, I Never Noticed That."

I woudn't classify it as ''I never noticed that" category, but Apple's OP made me think about blood ties between characters which are just weird to think about.

The already mentioned Samwell - Selyse - Shireen kinship

Then there's the theory that Aegriff will marry one of Randyll's daughters which would make Sam a brother to the Queen (and me more interested in Aegriff's storyline). I hope not though; I don't want for any of Sam's gentle sisters to become barbecue. Besides, I think his consort will be Arriane.

The Stark children are in danger that they might one day appear again on the succession list to Harrenhall.

Sweetrobin, Edmure's half-Frey child, and (probably) Jon Snow are all first cousins to the Stark children.

Relationships among Egg's descendants in general:

Rhaegar, Viserys and Daenerys are second cousins to Robert, Stannis and Renly.

Assuming R+L=J, Rhaego was Jon Snow's first cousin, and Viserys uncle of them both. One of Jon's grandfathers burned the other to death.

The Mad King was Egg's grandson. Egg's. Poor Egg.

Stannis, Shireen, Gendry, Edric Storm, Mya Stone, Bella, Barra, all the rest of Bob's bastards are also Egg's descendants.

I clearly don't read these forums enough...

Frey pie? I'm guessing that Manderly is responsible for the Freys going missing in winterfell and is cooking them and feeding them to the other freys? Or am I off the mark?

1.) In Bran, Jojen and Meera's jouney to the wall we get told a story about a king who was served his son in a pie as an act of revenge. The Gods didn't mind the revenge aspect, but the fact that the son was a guest was what brought the Old Gods' wrath, turning him into a rat.

2.) We are told repeatedly that Lord Manderly gave the Frey's guest gifts. He asked Davos Seaworth if Davos knew the significance of guest gifts.

3.) at the end of the Wedding at Winterfell, Manderly was being dragged off, reeling in his cups, and mumbling he should have played the Rat Cook.

An ah-ha moment for me was when I read about Shae lying in Tywinn's bed. It tripped a memory of the conversation Varys and Tyrion had about the tunnel and how it was made for a previous Hand of the King whose honor would not permit him to be seen frequenting a brothel.

Tywinn was that Hand!!!

It got my mind wandering. I wonder if Shae wasoriginally intended to be Tywinn's? Who was the knight Bronn took Shae from? Is that how Tywinn knew Tyrion had a camp whore and why he told Tyrion not to take her to Kings' Landing?

The Starks are in line to inherit Harrenhal via the Whents.

More precisely, Catelyn's mother was Minisa Whent. With the Whents gone, Minisa's children have one of the best possible claims to Harrenhal. Edmure and his child come first, then Catelyn's children. With Edmure's days seemingly numbered, it's not inconceivable that Bran, Rickon, Sansa and Arya have a very good chance of inheriting Winterfell, Riverrun and Harrenhal down the line.

The royal family of Dorne share their surname Martell with the historical figure Charles Martel, an ancestor of Charlemagne, with Martel apparently meaning "hammer". The Martells live in Sunspear, which is geographically near the tip of the Arm of Dorne, a land arm which was shattered by the children of the forest by what I remember was described as the "Hammer of the Gods". All quite coincidental.

An ah-ha moment for me was when I read about Shae lying in Tywinn's bed. It tripped a memory of the conversation Varys and Tyrion had about the tunnel and how it was made for a previous Hand of the King whose honor would not permit him to be seen frequenting a brothel.

Tywinn was that Hand!!!

It got my mind wandering. I wonder if Shae wasoriginally intended to be Tywinn's? Who was the knight Bronn took Shae from? Is that how Tywinn knew Tyrion had a camp whore and why he told Tyrion not to take her to Kings' Landing?

Makes sense. Did not clock that till now though. Thanks.

Tywinn was that Hand!!!

Oh yea...that didn't click at all

The Starks are in line to inherit Harrenhal via the Whents.

More precisely, Catelyn's mother was Minisa Whent. With the Whents gone, Minisa's children have one of the best possible claims to Harrenhal. Edmure and his child come first, then Catelyn's children. With Edmure's days seemingly numbered, it's not inconceivable that Bran, Rickon, Sansa and Arya have a very good chance of inheriting Winterfell, Riverrun and Harrenhal down the line.

Gotcha'. Thanks.

Ser Bonnifer Hasty (of the Holy Hundred fame), the new castellean of Harrenhal, being the long lost lover of Daenery's mother Rhaella.

According to Barristan, a knight from the Stormlands (Hasty) was much too low born to seriously vie for the princess's hand, even though they mutually loved one another. It explains Rhaella's unhappy marriage to the Mad King (that and being brother and sister) and Hasty's susquent devotion to the faith, something like ," He said only the Maid could compare in beauty to the women he had lost".

Is that because of the Sansa/Littlefinger association? Or is there a complicated path through family trees which has Harrenhall as a potential Stark inheritance?

Catelyn's mother was a Whent of Harrenhal. There's a Frey married to a woman of House Whent but she's childless. So Hoster's family is the only living known relation to the Whents.

Sam's maternal grandfather (Lord Alester Florent) was the Hand that was burned by Melisandre on their journey to Eastwatch. Odd that he doesn't think about it.

I don't think that's right. Just because Jon is Shireen's cousin and Sam is Shireen's cousin, it doesn't mean they are related to each other. Unless I'm missing something, Jon is related to Shireen through Stannis, while Sam is related through Selyse. That means they are not related to each other at all because each respective relationship goes through a totally different branch of the family.

This is why I made sure to say that they are related BY MARRIAGE.

I clearly don't read these forums enough...

Frey pie? I'm guessing that Manderly is responsible for the Freys going missing in winterfell and is cooking them and feeding them to the other freys? Or am I off the mark?

You're exactly on target. And while he serves them, he requests the song of the Rat Cook

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Rat_Cook

The Green Grace is the Harpy

I just (I mean like 3 hours ago) had the craziest dream! I went to Dany, made her call all her bodyguards AND the dragons to reveal her that the Green Grace is the Harpy, and the grace herself was missing (she had to be in her room or something but she wasn't). It was so vivid.

Another clue about Oberyn poisoned Tywin (which I still take with a pinch of salt TBO) is in an exchange between Oberyn and Tyrion:

Viper: Your father could die...

Tyrion: It's not good for you to be saying such treasonous words in KL.

Viper: Why treasonous? I just said your father was a mortal man...

OK Viper, you are to be fully trusted.

One of the main things that incline me to believe he did poison him - he is a smart and versatile guy. He knows Gregor is a mindless grunt and Tywin gave the orders. Would he go to KL, planning the long awaited revenge ONLY to the one who did the physical deed and then go home happy? I don't think so.

I hope this was a joke, because this isn't really an issue. Ygritte was obviously a few years older than Jon, but not older than her early twenties, making it really hard for it to have been a "mommy-issues" thing.

Ygritte is 19, Jon's at least 15 at the time. Lucky guy.

Dunk and Egg spoiler follows

Spoiler
After reading the Dunk and Egg tales, realizing that the shield Brienne remembers from her father's armory and has painted over the Lothston bat was one of Dunk's old shields. I am convinced Brienne is one of his descendants, especially the parallel of her and Pod travelling as a lowly hedgeknight and squire. (niether Brienne nor Dunk were ever truly knighted, Egg and Pod are both more than they seem).

I just (I mean like 3 hours ago) had the craziest dream! I went to Dany, made her call all her bodyguards AND the dragons to reveal her that the Green Grace is the Harpy, and the grace herself was missing (she had to be in her room or something but she wasn't). It was so vivid.

I wish I would dream about Dany :(

Archived