"Wow, I Never Noticed That."

I completely missed out on the Frey pies until I started reading this forum.

Oberyn poisoned Tywin blew my mind when I first read it.

Something I noticed on a recent Tyrion re-read (if this has come up before on Tyrion re-read threads, I apologize -- it's been a while since I've kept track of those) was how many times Tyrion is linked to shadows. When Jon first meets him at Winterfell, it's said that Tyrion cast a shadow "as large as any king." Then there's the power riddle Varys poses him in ACoK ("a very small man can cast a very large shadow"). And finally, we have Moqorro telling Tyrion that his shadow is "snarling" in the midst of his flames. I don't know what it means for his arc, but it's something interesting I picked up.

Well to cast a shadow, one must have fire. Otherwise he is just a small man. Which could be foreshadowing that Tyrion will end up with Dany / his real potential and "big move" will be something connected to Dany.

One could argue that it could be convincing Aegon to change direction, but I don't think so. Aegon might be a fake dragon, and even if he's not, he doesn't have dragons, but most importantly, he's in shadow himself as of now, he isn't emanating light. So I think something with Dany.

I completely missed out on the Frey pies until I started reading this forum.

Oberyn poisoned Tywin blew my mind when I first read it.

Something I noticed on a recent Tyrion re-read (if this has come up before on Tyrion re-read threads, I apologize -- it's been a while since I've kept track of those) was how many times Tyrion is linked to shadows. When Jon first meets him at Winterfell, it's said that Tyrion cast a shadow "as large as any king." Then there's the power riddle Varys poses him in ACoK ("a very small man can cast a very large shadow"). And finally, we have Moqorro telling Tyrion that his shadow is "snarling" in the midst of his flames. I don't know what it means for his arc, but it's something interesting I picked up.

The first one in the Jon thread foreshadows Tyrion's time as Hand. The other relevant portion of that reference is "for a moment". My post above explains the second one. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/79116-wow-i-never-noticed-that/page__st__80#entry3975136. And for the third, I think it's something to do with Dany. I think Tyrion has been steadily growing darker as a character and the snarling has something to do with it, not sure yet what.

7.) Shae was in Tywin's bed naked, implying she slept with Tywin. Either Tywin was a total hypocrite and had secretly loved whores despite chastising both his father and son for whoring, OR Tywin had known that he was about to die and wanted a woman to comfort him. (not sure about the exact details of this)

Remember the tunnel to Chataya's establishment, constructed by a former Hand of the King so he could visit undetected? Tywin was a former Hand. Robert's Hand, Jon Arryn, was old for this sort of thing and had a young wife. The Hands between them didn't last long. Had to be Tywin. Oops, already mentioned. Missed that before.

And it wasn't whores that he was against. He just didn't want lower-class women attached to the Lannister name, like Tytos's wife or Tysha. He felt that Tyrion getting too close to whores was a problem.

I also think it's far from established that Tywin was in fact poisoned.

Here's a small one that I like:

When Sam is at Craster's in SoS right before the old bear gets killed he eats a half-rotten onion: "One side was black with rot, but he cut that part off with his dagger and ate the good half raw."

Previously in CoK when Davos is rowing Mel under Storm's End, Mel asks him if he is a good man. When Davos says he is both good and bad she says: "If half an onion is black with rot, it is a rotten onion. A man is good, or he is evil."

Back in the first book, in a Bran POV, I swear that rickon is pretty obviously warging. I didn't even know what warging was when I read it the first time.

Any chance you can provide a chapter reference? I totally missed this.

Not to get off topic, but after the many shades of death we have seen, and the many shades of corpses, it it pretty evident to me that a lot of detail was put into the decay of Tywin Lannister, despite the special efforts put in to making him look godly during his wake... and that detail, along with the pre-mentioned evidence regarding Oberyn's discussions with Tyrion show a pretty realistic impression of him being poisoned

That no one mentions the Tully's at the great Harrenhall tourney. Even though the Catelyn's cousin must have been the Queen of Love and Beauty and she was betrothed to Brandon Stark by then who was there.

And then that she must have grown up to be Wynafrei (Whent) Frey, wife of Danwell Frey.

ETA: duh moment. Oh course the Frey's were there. KotLT defeated one.

An ah-ha moment for me was when I read about Shae lying in Tywinn's bed. It tripped a memory of the conversation Varys and Tyrion had about the tunnel and how it was made for a previous Hand of the King whose honor would not permit him to be seen frequenting a brothel.

Tywinn was that Hand!!!

It got my mind wandering. I wonder if Shae wasoriginally intended to be Tywinn's? Who was the knight Bronn took Shae from? Is that how Tywinn knew Tyrion had a camp whore and why he told Tyrion not to take her to Kings' Landing?

If Tywin had no problem bedding whores why didnt he remarry? Having more children better ensures the succession and he also has more chess pieces on the board to arrange alliances via marriage.

Wasn't a big thing, but I was reading ACOK and there's a chapter where Mel talks about duality and how you can only be good or evil, light or dark, blah blah blah. It's followed up by a Bran chapter where Jojen and pals talk about everything being in balance, and other nature type stuff. Never noticed how these two clashing beliefs are shown right after one another.

Matches up with Mel thinking Bloodraven is evil.

Not sure if this counts because it's in a Dunk and Egg story, but in "The Mystery Knight" the 4 year old heir to House Frey is mentioned as a snivelling, whining brat... I thought that must be a family trait until I realized that it is actually Walder Frey! Very entertaining, GRRM.

Here's a small one that I like:

When Sam is at Craster's in SoS right before the old bear gets killed he eats a half-rotten onion: "One side was black with rot, but he cut that part off with his dagger and ate the good half raw."

Previously in CoK when Davos is rowing Mel under Storm's End, Mel asks him if he is a good man. When Davos says he is both good and bad she says: "If half an onion is black with rot, it is a rotten onion. A man is good, or he is evil."

Thus proving that Mel is always always always wrong. That's one of the first indications lol, but certainly not the last.

Any chance you can provide a chapter reference? I totally missed this.

I have it on kindle. It's a Bran chapter page 614 of 674. They find Rickon and Shaggydog down in the crypt (because both Rickon and Bran had the same dream that Ned was dead), and Shaggydog bites Luwin. After which, Rickon is licking his fingers and saying Shaggy doesn't like to be chained.

He turned back to the weirwood and studied the carved face a moment. It is not the face we saw, he admitted to himself. The tree’s not half as big as the one at Whitetree. The red eyes wept blood, and he didn’t remember that either. Clumsily, Sam sank to his knees. “Old gods, hear my prayer. The Seven were my father’s gods but I said my words to you when I joined the Watch. Help us now. I fear we might be lost. We’re hungry too, and so cold. I don’t know what gods I believe in now, but… please, if you’re there, help us. Gilly has a little son.” That was all that he could think to say. The dusk was deepening, the leaves of the weirwood rustling softly, waving like a thousand blood-red hands. Whether Jon’s gods had heard him or not he could not say.

On a re-read i thought Bloodraven was probably warging that tree and sent Coldhands to Sam/Gilly.

Archived