"Wow, I Never Noticed That."

Ygritte is 19, Jon's at least 15 at the time. Lucky guy.

Dunk and Egg spoiler follows

Spoiler
After reading the Dunk and Egg tales, realizing that the shield Brienne remembers from her father's armory and has painted over the Lothston bat was one of Dunk's old shields. I am convinced Brienne is one of his descendants, especially the parallel of her and Pod travelling as a lowly hedgeknight and squire. (niether Brienne nor Dunk were ever truly knighted, Egg and Pod are both more than they seem).

Spoiler
And even more, in Brienne's POV chapter when she travels to Duskendale there were other references to the Hedge Knight that I didn't notice until the reread. There was the shield, there was the fact that all of the fallen have their sigils on display like the tourney in HK (two of which are pointed out to be Green and Red Fossoways - who split into these two factions in the HK), Brienne is curious about Donnel of Duskendale (who was one of the Kingsguard that was fighting against Dunk) and the fact that Pod tailing Brienne was very reminiscent of Egg following Dunk to the tourney.

For me it was the whole Young Griff/Aegon still being alive thing, and then after a re read of multiple books in the series connecting Vary's whole "Power" speech in ACOK to Tyrion along with Tyrion's dialogue with lllyrio in ADWD, and Dany's "Mummers Dragon" prophecy directly with Young Griff actually being a Blackfyre.......The classic twist within a twist.

I've brought this up before (and it was dissed at the time...), but I am convinced that on a reread that Tansy is Hoster Tully's bastard daughter in Stoney Sept. The amount of times in the chapter where Arya is at the Peach that Tansy is described as having red hair, and even the fact that in the appendices Tansy is mentioned as 'Tansy, the red-haired proprietor', when I don't think even someone like Ygritte gets that kind of description. Furthermore, with that thought in mind, that chapter is hilarious with not only Gendry almost sleeping with his half sister, but Arya meeting her bastard aunt.

Slightly off-topic though, this thread is great for picking up the small details (I didn't click even on my reread about Tywin and the whores) and sometimes when it is pointed out I could kick myself for not noticing the glaringly obvious on retrospect. With this in mind, my dad is a big ASOIAF fan also, but the other day I was chatting with him about the red wedding and it turns out he didn't realise that Cat had her throat slit and had no inkling that she was Stoneheart...?!? Maybe a new thread should be started for my dad called 'Wow large things I never noticed that...'

I never noticed until my re-read of GoT that all the exercises that Syrio had Arya doing in KL (Blindfolded, chasing cats, sneaking, uses other senses) is almost exactly the same training she endures at the House of Many Faced God, which strengthens the "Syrio is a FM" theory for me.

In GOT when maestor Aemon is talking about honor to Jon. The obvious suspects for who he's referring to other than himself are Ned Stark and Rhaegar, but after re reads I've come to the conclusion that he could also be talking about Aemon The Dragonknight Targaryen of the KG specifically when he say's "What is honor compared to a woman's love?" This would be a perfect analogy as The Dragonknight is considered to be the noblest knight that ever lived yet he deeply loved Queen Naerys, and was rumored to have had an affair with her leading to the birth of King Daeron ll which makes me wonder if the rumors of Aemon of the KG actually being Daeron's father are indeed true. This all important because if Daeron was indeed a bastard that would make Daemon Blackfyre the true king which in itself would make (F) Aegon as a Blackfyre the actual rightful heir to the Iron throne of Westeros. Not that Westeros would support this, but it would be the truth.

I've brought this up before (and it was dissed at the time...), but I am convinced that on a reread that Tansy is Hoster Tully's bastard daughter in Stoney Sept. ...

When Hoster Tully was rambling about "Tansy" on his death bed, I thought it was some woman from his youth. Wasn't until I read the wiki I realized he was walking about Lysa's abortion.

This is something I've thought about at some length - I've re-read the passage a few times to try and iron out where I stand on the whole issue.

Bastard daughter was what I first concluded when I read it, but became convinced of the abortion through Catelyn's interpretation.

Some of it could go either way, and it very much reads as though it's designed to, but when Cat asks if 'Tansy' lives, he responds quickly with "Dead" - which works much better in the abortion scenario.

For a while, the frequent mention of "blood" had me thinking abortion - but it's possible that Tansy's mother was still "innocent".

For me, I think I end up settling on abortion - " be a good wife, and the gods will bless you" makes much more sense directed at Lysa just before her marriage. But it's very close.

In AFFC Ch.5 Jon Snow says

"Mance's blood is no more royal than mine own"

The thing is that I'm the only guy who goes on about how Mance Rayder is actually Rhaegar. I missed this when reading this before. Knowing who Jon Snow actually is then this statement becomes significant. People keep telling me that Martin said that they burned Rhaegar's body but I'm gonna keep this one alive. Just for the uninitiated

Mance -

Adds red to his black cloak to make them targaryen colours

Is the right age

Plays the lyre and sings like Rhaegar

Is jack of many trades convincing some and besting others to become king beyond the wall and able to rise to the occasion when the deed demand it like Rhaegar

Has one ruby in his glamour while the other six washed up on the silent isle

Sings of Bale the Bard about a king beyond the wall stealing a stark girl and returning her with child, bale the bard was killed by his son when bale recognized him in battle but refused to kill him

Loses a "wife" in childbirth in battle against baratheon forces (like Jon and Dany mind you)

Declines to kill Jon, though he might think Jon actually is Ned Stark's bastard

If I'm right I'm gonna gloat like a mo-fo. Don't want to start a debate, just remember me when he turns out to be Rhaegar.

In AFFC Ch.5 Jon Snow says

"Mance's blood is no more royal than mine own"

The thing is that I'm the only guy who goes on about how Mance Rayder is actually Rhaegar. I missed this when reading this before. Knowing who Jon Snow actually is then this statement becomes significant. People keep telling me that Martin said that they burned Rhaegar's body but I'm gonna keep this one alive. Just for the uninitiated

Mance -

Adds red to his black cloak to make them targaryen colours

Is the right age

Plays the lyre and sings like Rhaegar

Is jack of many trades convincing some and besting others to become king beyond the wall and able to rise to the occasion when the deed demand it like Rhaegar

Has one ruby in his glamour while the other six washed up on the silent isle

Sings of Bale the Bard about a king beyond the wall stealing a stark girl and returning her with child, bale the bard was killed by his son when bale recognized him in battle but refused to kill him

Loses a "wife" in childbirth in battle against baratheon forces (like Jon and Dany mind you)

Declines to kill Jon, though he might think Jon actually is Ned Stark's bastard

If I'm right I'm gonna gloat like a mo-fo. Don't want to start a debate, just remember me when he turns out to be Rhaegar.

Wouldn't Rhaegar stand out with his Targ features?

Wouldn't Rhaegar stand out with his Targ features?

Thats why it so funny that this theory will not die. Mance is a guy with brown hair brown eyes and is said to be unremarkable looking. Cersei claims that Rhaegar made Jaime look as plain as a stable boy and Jaime is considered one of the most handsome men in Westeros.

I never noticed until my re-read of GoT that all the exercises that Syrio had Arya doing in KL (Blindfolded, chasing cats, sneaking, uses other senses) is almost exactly the same training she endures at the House of Many Faced God, which strengthens the "Syrio is a FM" theory for me.

Or.... Grrm just isn't very creative when it comes to dreaming up "outside the box" training exercises.

The leg of lamb that seems to occur often and probably has a meaning....never noticed

The link given above just shows the same leg of lamb, held by the same character 3 times in the same chapter. Might have been there as a clue to link it to the vision in HOTU.

And if number of mentions of a food is significant, we'll need a group effort to decode the meaning of "lamprey pie".

Archived