VOL. 2 / AGoT Reread: Direwolves, Dragons [eggs], Momont’s Raven, and Cats, Oh My! Pets or Providence?

evita mgfs

I wonder if Ned's "You'll marry a king statement" meant he wished Arya to have the life Lyanna would've had if Lyanna had survived the tower of joy.

ETA: Actually the more I think of it, the more I think it's possible that Ned might have had a few prophetic dreams. However, the text that I think points to possibility occur in later chapters. Since I wait for those chapters before mentioning it?

Bran III

Summary:

Bran tries to cope with the changes in his life: his broken body and everyone except Robb and Rickon being gone from Winterfell. In this chapter we hear Old Nan's amazing story of the Long Night and the Last Hero as well as a little bit about Nan herself and Hodor. Tyrion Lannister visits with a useful gift for Bran but is not that welcome by Robb or the direwolves. Yoren and the men of the Night's Watch accompany Tyrion and bring news of Benjen.

Brief analysis:

"In the yard below, Rickon ran with the wolves." Something Bran will never again be able to do. Naturally, Bran is angry. Everything has changed - he can't walk, his parents and some of his siblings have gone away and Bran misses them sorely... Rickon is too young to be a comfort to him and Robb must play the Lord and showering Bran with affection is something he consciously abstains from as "Robb the Lord"... which doesn't mean he doesn't care, as we see at the very end of the chapter. Public displays of affection, whether crying or hugging someone fiercely are a no-no for men in Westeros, and Robb is shaping up to be a man now and a leader.

Bran wakes up to a completely new and gray reality - he is broken and there is no one to comfort him except Old Nan with her stories and that is something Bran is sick and tired of. Nan says something interesting about stories - that they just are - they were here before us and they will outlive us. That stories are all we have and eventually all we are... Old Nan really steals the show, so to say, with her story and her statement "Crows are all liars". Now, there's something peculiar about this statement that I've shared on Heresy already, but I wish to share it here as well. If GRRM has planted this statement with the Epimenides Paradox in mind, then the theory we have going on Heresy about Old Nan as Crone being one of the facets of the Morrigan, the crow goddess with her three aspects, Maid, Mother and Crone, could have some truth to it. Not to get into this too much, if you are interested we can discuss it afterwards, but if GRRM had this paradox in mind, then Old Nan is the crow and saying that all crows lie is a paradox because, you know, if all crows lie and she is a facet of the crow, then the statement is false because as a crow - she lied. So, not to complicate things - we can't trust a statement like this and be sure if all crows lie or don't. Either way you have a paradox - if she lied then her statement is false and not all crows lie. If she was telling the truth then she proved that not all crows lie herself... heh. Cool stuff.

Anyhoo, the story of the Long Night is a topic in and of itself, not sure if I should get into all that here? But, already we see Bran connected to the stuff beyond the Wall. He likes this story, although he is sick of stories, especially Nan's stories, and he is taking out his anger on her. This story attracts his attention. The scary story. A story scarier than his present real life situation is certainly welcome... my poor sweet prince :bawl: but could it be that he feels that his answers to the riddle of the crow and flying lie beyond the Wall? We also see another dream - with gargoyles that used to be lions but are now twisted and deformed. A pretty accurate picture of the outwardly beautiful but inwardly corrupted and twisted Lannister twins who show up as gargoyles in his dream, hidden by his subconscious mind.

What's also interesting in this chapter is Robb's animosity and hot temper towards Tyrion as well as his outburst over Benjen suspected to be dead by Yoren. We as readers know why he is on edge and aggressive to a Lannister, but he really does go a bit too far with a sword unsheathed in front of guests and almost pulling his sword at mention of Benjen being dead (the fear for the well-being of his family bursting out childishly)... what would Ned say... Jon certainly made a better impression... Robb, as we've seen early on in the scene with Joff being a little shit in the practice yard, is hot headed, still a boy in this. He will grow out of it, but here, we still see his growing pains, as much as we've seen Jon's. Jon had Benjen, Noye and Tyrion to give him advice, but who does Robb have? Theon? ..... Although he's doing rather well considering there's no one to guide him, we see him break down when alone with Bran. As Bran, he misses their family, their pack, and is brokenhearted over what happened to Bran. Playing the role of Robb the Lord and hiding his emotions takes it's toll. Maybe it's this lack of affection too (giving and receiving), among other things, that pushes him over the edge and into Jayne Westerling's arms later on? Hm...

The direwolves - as they can be playful pets with baby Rickon, so they can be ferocious wild beasts, with Tyrion. The reasons why they just went after him is, I think, that they sensed Robb's anger and went with that. Another one is that Tyrion is a stranger. Those two things together explain their ferocity, but maybe it's also something about Tyrion - who knows. I doubt it, though. Ghost liked him. Robb's aggression fueled this as well as Tyrion being a stranger. Even ghost was vary when first meeting Tyrion.

A tough period for the Starks - they miss each other greatly: already we have seen Jon missing his siblings, Arya too, and now Bran is anxious about not hearing from anyone, Rickon cries if Robb is gone for a few days and Robb cries alone with Bran... A ray of light is Jon's gift of Tyrion and his smart saddle, but dark times are coming for the Starks and they feel it.

I do wish Old Nan had finished that story :bang: .

I suspect there is something more to the direwolves antipathy towards Tyrion.Afterall,he is attacked by Ghost,Summer,Grey Wind and Shaggydog in AGOT,and as we come to learn,do not ignore your direwolf! :dunno:

Lannister blood,or something else?

I wonder if Ned's "You'll marry a king statement" meant he wished Arya to have the life Lyanna would've had if Lyanna had survived the tower of joy.

ETA: Actually the more I think of it, the more I think it's possible that Ned might have had a few prophetic dreams. However, the text that I think points to possibility occur in later chapters. Since I wait for those chapters before mentioning it?

Thats possible, I hadn't thought of that.

I think the thing that sticks out to me about that statement is that he went from "0 to 60" with that; no lords, Princes, but straight to King.

Who Aryas King would be though is the mystery.

Bran III

Summary:

Bran tries to cope with the changes in his life: his broken body and everyone except Robb and Rickon being gone from Winterfell. In this chapter we hear Old Nan's amazing story of the Long Night and the Last Hero as well as a little bit about Nan herself and Hodor. Tyrion Lannister visits with a useful gift for Bran but is not that welcome by Robb or the direwolves. Yoren and the men of the Night's Watch accompany Tyrion and bring news of Benjen.

Brief analysis:

"In the yard below, Rickon ran with the wolves." Something Bran will never again be able to do. Naturally, Bran is angry. Everything has changed - he can't walk, his parents and some of his siblings have gone away and Bran misses them sorely... Rickon is too young to be a comfort to him and Robb must play the Lord and showering Bran with affection is something he consciously abstains from as "Robb the Lord"... which doesn't mean he doesn't care, as we see at the very end of the chapter. Public displays of affection, whether crying or hugging someone fiercely are a no-no for men in Westeros, and Robb is shaping up to be a man now and a leader.

Bran wakes up to a completely new and gray reality - he is broken and there is no one to comfort him except Old Nan with her stories and that is something Bran is sick and tired of. Nan says something interesting about stories - that they just are - they were here before us and they will outlive us. That stories are all we have and eventually all we are... Old Nan really steals the show, so to say, with her story and her statement "Crows are all liars". Now, there's something peculiar about this statement that I've shared on Heresy already, but I wish to share it here as well. If GRRM has planted this statement with the Epimenides Paradox in mind, then the theory we have going on Heresy about Old Nan as Crone being one of the facets of the Morrigan, the crow goddess with her three aspects, Maid, Mother and Crone, could have some truth to it. Not to get into this too much, if you are interested we can discuss it afterwards, but if GRRM had this paradox in mind, then Old Nan is the crow and saying that all crows lie is a paradox because, you know, if all crows lie and she is a facet of the crow, then the statement is false because as a crow - she lied. So, not to complicate things - we can't trust a statement like this and be sure if all crows lie or don't. Either way you have a paradox - if she lied then her statement is false and not all crows lie. If she was telling the truth then she proved that not all crows lie herself... heh. Cool stuff.

Anyhoo, the story of the Long Night is a topic in and of itself, not sure if I should get into all that here? But, already we see Bran connected to the stuff beyond the Wall. He likes this story, although he is sick of stories, especially Nan's stories, and he is taking out his anger on her. This story attracts his attention. The scary story. A story scarier than his present real life situation is certainly welcome... my poor sweet prince :bawl: but could it be that he feels that his answers to the riddle of the crow and flying lie beyond the Wall? We also see another dream - with gargoyles that used to be lions but are now twisted and deformed. A pretty accurate picture of the outwardly beautiful but inwardly corrupted and twisted Lannister twins who show up as gargoyles in his dream, hidden by his subconscious mind.

What's also interesting in this chapter is Robb's animosity and hot temper towards Tyrion as well as his outburst over Benjen suspected to be dead by Yoren. We as readers know why he is on edge and aggressive to a Lannister, but he really does go a bit too far with a sword unsheathed in front of guests and almost pulling his sword at mention of Benjen being dead (the fear for the well-being of his family bursting out childishly)... what would Ned say... Jon certainly made a better impression... Robb, as we've seen early on in the scene with Joff being a little shit in the practice yard, is hot headed, still a boy in this. He will grow out of it, but here, we still see his growing pains, as much as we've seen Jon's. Jon had Benjen, Noye and Tyrion to give him advice, but who does Robb have? Theon? ..... Although he's doing rather well considering there's no one to guide him, we see him break down when alone with Bran. As Bran, he misses their family, their pack, and is brokenhearted over what happened to Bran. Playing the role of Robb the Lord and hiding his emotions takes it's toll. Maybe it's this lack of affection too (giving and receiving), among other things, that pushes him over the edge and into Jayne Westerling's arms later on? Hm...

The direwolves - as they can be playful pets with baby Rickon, so they can be ferocious wild beasts, with Tyrion. The reasons why they just went after him is, I think, that they sensed Robb's anger and went with that. Another one is that Tyrion is a stranger. Those two things together explain their ferocity, but maybe it's also something about Tyrion - who knows. I doubt it, though. Ghost liked him. Robb's aggression fueled this as well as Tyrion being a stranger. Even ghost was vary when first meeting Tyrion.

A tough period for the Starks - they miss each other greatly: already we have seen Jon missing his siblings, Arya too, and now Bran is anxious about not hearing from anyone, Rickon cries if Robb is gone for a few days and Robb cries alone with Bran... A ray of light is Jon's gift of Tyrion and his smart saddle, but dark times are coming for the Starks and they feel it.

I think thats a good analysis, and great call out on Nan.

I think there is something more to her than meets the eye.

I love Bran to death, but he is the "ruiner" when it comes to storys because he always interrupts. :bang:

Animals, and most notibly dogs, can sense danger, but if we go with the premise that the Starks direwolves are to them what the dragons are to the Tarygaryens, they are their Guardians, and perhaps to some degree, (and I don't really care for this word), their "Familiars" and can act as their agents.

I'm starting to go back and forth now regarding Dany, and remember the House of the Undying scene when who we know now as Robb is looking to her in "mute appeal."

Perhaps a harbinger that Dany actually will be positive force in the Starks narrative.

I do think the Direwolve were a gift of the old gods to protect them through this coming "apocolypse," which is why I'm a little disturbed by Sansas loss of Lady.

But, even as we speak, Aryas Nymeria acts in every way the way we imagine how the mythic Queen did, and is leading her own army of wolves, so this could also be a foreshadowng of Aryas destiny as a Warrior Queen.

People were scandalized when she gave her that name, so I think her direwolf has that name for a reason, and is not an accident.

On the crow, this scene is one of my favorites, because it reflects the spirtual nature of the crow that many different cultures have.

From the original movie, "The Crow," with Brandon Lee :frown5:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+crow+opening+youtube&view=detail&mid=5EF6FC206427A19951F15EF6FC206427A19951F1&first=0&qpvt=the+crow+opening+youtube

I love Bran to death, but he is the "ruiner" when it comes to storys because he always interrupts. :bang:

Only it's Maester Luwin who interrupts and Bran protests because he wants to listen to the rest of the story (although as we later see, he knows how it ends) ;)

As to Eddard's chapter, many threads on the board have made me wary when it comes to fruit being offered, and Pycelle offers Ned dates (symbol of fertility) and persimmon (In Buddhism, the persimmon is used as a symbol of transformation. The green persimmon is acrid and bitter, but the fruit becomes very sweet as it ripens. Thus, man might be basically ignorant but that ignorance is transformed into wisdom as the persimmon’s bitterness is transformed into sweet delicious fruit). Pycelle's story does not come into fruition in Ned's mind? Since he refused the date... He didn't take the persimmon either - his knowledge will not ripen? All manner of interpretation can take place... Not to mention that Ned dislikes even what he does take from Pycelle - the overly sweetened milk. Just like the overly sweetened information he receives. I agree that he shouldn't have been so free with Pycelle as to mention poisoning... :bang:

There's also that mention of dragon's breath around Arya and Sansa after their vigil to thank the Old Gods for Bran... as Alia mentioned Dany being a friend to the Starks from the vision in the HotU - I'd really like that, I'm not a fan of Dany, but that would be really cool... but I dunno, seems far fetched...

Also, the whole chapter once again paints a Ned completely out of his element, heat and all...

ETA: Yeah, I love that quote from "The Crow". I used it in a discussion on UnCat... she fits pretty well :devil:

Freudian slip maybe?

Freudian slip maybe?

Hi Ser Pollo! :)

It's possible, but I think when a writer writes something that out of left field, I tend to read it as deliberate.

Besides the Starks naming of their direwolves, I also think of Maggie the Frogs prophesy, and how it must impact Cersei.

Cersei has seen most of the younger, more beautiful Candidates for that prophesy, i.e., Sansa, Margaery, probably knows Arianne, Dany is a possibility for the prophesy and is not threatened at all beyond Margaery being a copy of herself when she stalked poor Elia, but who is the most improbable and unlikely Candidate who will grow up to look like the woman who took the love of two men Cersei wanted?

Arya :ph34r:

And by that time, she will probably be fully capable of taking from Cersei everything she holds dear.

Hi Ser Pollo! :)

It's possible, but I think when a writer writes something that out of left field, I tend to read it as deliberate.

Besides the Starks naming of their direwolves, I also think of Maggie the Frogs prophesy, and how it must impact Cersei.

Cersei has seen most of the younger, more beautiful Candidates for that prophesy, i.e., Sansa, Margaery, probably knows Arianne, Dany is a possibility for the prophesy and is not threatened at all beyond Margaery being a copy of herself when she stalked poor Elia, but who is the most improbable and unlikely Candidate who will grow up to look like the woman who took the love of two men Cersei wanted?

Arya :ph34r:

And by that time, she will probably be fully capable of taking from Cersei everything she holds dear.

I meant for Ned, thinking of Lyanna, because it does seem weird for Ned to jump to king

I meant for Ned, thinking of Lyanna, because it does seem weird for Ned to jump to king

Oh, I see.

And yes, that could very well be he had Lyanna in mind when he made that statement to the girl that is so like her.

I've always speculated that Lyanna having a statue in the Crypts when only the Kings of Winter, and the Lords of Winterfell did, might hint at something about Lyannas status as a Princess and future Queen.

That slip would make sense.

But, for me, I think Maggies prophesy is loaded with the unexpected.

Lately some have been questioning Dany's treatment of her brother in light of the new sample chapter and speculating on how Westeros will look upon what happened to Vis... Not a fan of his (but then, who is?) but I am in favor of not looking at things in terms of either black or white.

In re-reading this chapter (my second re-read and I'm still surprised by some things, re-reads - everyone should do them...) I am surprised at myself in taking a compassionate look at poor ol' Vis here. In all his foolishness, there is something of note there - him trying to, violently though, make Dany see that she's losing herself in becoming Dothraki. I'm not saying he's right, but it does seem like Dany couldn't wait to become someone else. And I guess Vis was afraid she'll become a Khaleesi instead of a Targ. The identity issue, and who the characters are in their own eyes is quite a theme in itself - all major characters go through this. I am the dragon. I am a brother of the Night's Watch. I am No One. I am Reek. Hodor!(heheh) etc... Vis wants her to stay herself, a Targ. Her change marks an independence as well, and Vis wants her to be dependent on him as they go along in their fight for Westeros. This also plays a part - she is finding her own way, not as a Targ, and he cannot follow, and literally in this chapter... The thing that struck me as kind of sad here was that a Targ, a member of this royal, grand dynasty, knows less about dragons than these random Dothraki serving maids who almost give her a lesson on dragons, complete with the ever present and annoying - it is known... I mean, man oh man, that is so sad and humiliating, and I haven't seen it before. And now this drowning in the Dothraki sea as Dany drowns in their culture and becomes one of them more and more seen in this light kind of makes me more sympathetic to Vis trying to make her remember who she was. If only he at least wasn't as violent a jerk he was... Families and misunderstandings. Gotta love those :bang:

I'd also like to note that Dany is prone to escapism - she tries to escape her brother's shouting and screaming heard from afar. She does a lot of that after things don't go her way in Meereen in Dance. Oh, those figs sure need to be nibbled on Dany, Astapor doesn't matter... :ack: Also, she turns on/abandons those who are her kin or important to her in a way, once they prove to be too dangerous or simply do not serve her anymore - Vis, her dragons, Astapor... I wonder if she'd turn on Illyrio, seeing as how it's him who gave her the dragon's eggs - I mean, she owes him a lot, but she turned on people who matter to her before, her dragons included (locking them away)... the way her track record has been, I'd be careful if I were Illyrio... She truly is like a dragon biting her own tail... In her defence, she did have tough choices before her, but she certainly proved to be a child however quick she was to deny that in this chapter and snapped at Jorah... Touchy...

:bowdown: :bowdown: LITTLE WING: FIRST, THANK YOU FOR THE LINK TO WILD CARDS AND MARTIN’S ARIANNE POV.

GREAT INSIGHT INTO VISERYS AND DANY!

I LOVE YOUR NEW AVATAR!! My eyes are definitely bad because I first thought your avatar was CeeJay, one of my all time favorite kitties in the Disney film That Darn Cat!, with Haley Mills and her Siamese cat. But on further scrutiny, I determined that your new cat is from another great movie, and in it, kitty plays a witch’s familiar. I believe the movie is Bell, Book, and Candle, but I am not sure! Since you have “witch” atop the avatar, I am lead to believe the picture is from Bell, Book, and Candle.

I get you on the “sympathy” for Viserys, although I think Martin writes this POV in such a way as to make us see Viserys as a snake in the grass. However, I then think of how neither the Targaryen children have role models who demonstrate appropriate behavior and provide them with a moral compass. Both Dany and her brother are “child-like”, far more disadvantaged in so many ways than the Stark children who have honorable parents who raise them with strict rules, discipline, and Stark-family values. The Starks are educated in the home and learn skills and duties befitting their status, so Ned prepares his eldest son Robb to be a lord, his heir of Winterfell. Moreover, Ned shares his wisdom with his children, most of them recalling their fathers counsel when faced with making difficult decisions, like Bran recalling his father saying the only time a man can be brave is when he is afraid when Bran is falling in his 3EC vision.

On the flip side are the Targ children have no such leveling voice to guide them. As you so rightly pointed out, Dany knows little about the dragons; but more troubling, Dany does nothing to learn more about them. When Jon is confronted with the Others, he sends Samwell to the wormways to examine books, ledgers, and scrolls to research any records of the dangers beyond the Wall. Jon may not adore books in the way that Samwell does, but Jon does see their value. Whereas I think ALL of the characters could read more, especially those with goals to lead a kingdom and an army, Dany’s circle of retainers are “ignorant” of the Targaryen dragons, Dany’s family, and her rich ancestry.

Dany and Viserys are the most disadvantaged in having reliable, sincere

advisers helping them to grow and mature.

Magister Illyrio is a flatterer who humors Viserys in his flawed views of entitlement. Instead of telling Viserys that he needs to improve himself in order to be deemed worthy of others’ backing and support, Illyrio indulges the beggar prince’s vengeful desires to reclaim his kingdom and destroy the Usurper’s dogs. In turn, because Viserys lacks structure, wisdom, and discipline, he is not a nurturing brother who sincerely has his sister’s best interests at heart. Instead of protecting Dany, he blatantly uses her budding sexuality to entice the horselord Khal Drogo to take her to wife in exchange for the Dothraki screamers. Through Viserys’ exploitation of Dany, I believe she sees herself, in part, a sexy trifle, which she demonstrates when she is a quick study for Doreah’s bedroom tricks, and she takes her newfound knowledge “public” as an exhibition for not only her Khal but all the Dothraki horde. After this event, I think Dany as a sex object, in her mind to some degree, becomes more apparent as she realizes the affects her nubile body and Targaryen silver hair and violet eyes have on men who come into her contact. On the other hand, Dany also learns that not all men are easily influenced by her polarizing beauty and sensuality. Some men are much harder to manipulate.

Ser Jorah Mormont is a fast friend of Dany’s, but his reputation has been called into attention for the readers due to Ned Stark’s disclosure to King Robert that Mormont fled Bear Island to escape the king’s justice, which dishonors his noble family. As an exiled knight, he has no better employment opportunities than to settle on pledging his sword to another exile, the Targaryan Viserys. Ned alerts us to Ser Jorah’s dishonesty, and we see that Ned’s perception is spot-on: Ser Jorah betrays the Targaryans by reporting to Varys the movements of Dany and Viserys; likewise, Ser Jorah too easily breaks his oath to Viserys in favor of aligning himself with Dany because Ser Jorah is not blind. He sees who is rising in power, and with Viserys drawing more and more unfavorable attention to himself, Ser Jorah cuts his losses and ties himself to the rising star, the Khaleesi.

And yet there is more duplicity on Ser Jorah’s part, although I refer to events disclosed in later novels. Ser Jorah has the “hots” for the luscious and voluptuous Dany, who bears some resemblance to Ser Jorah’s cheating wife. So – Ser Jorah’s affections for Dany may influence his actions performed with Dany’s best interests in mind. But then, when she rebukes his advances, Ser Jorah’s concern for Dany may be “feigned”- Ser Jorah’s motivations are suspect at times mainly because we are provided information that depicts Ser Jorah as having a checkered past – and I wonder can Dany whole-heartedly trust her Bear? [i am very distrustful of Ser Jorah, and I think his involvement in Khaleesi’s stillbirth is “suspicious”. Not that he “intentionally” did anything to kill the baby, but he certainly does not exercise good judgment when he takes her into the tent where the blood mage is projecting shadows.] I won’t go into any details, but I see Ser Jorah as a “grey” character – his potential for good is only equaled by his potential for evil.

Now later on, Dany does finally get a good adviser by her side: Ser Barristan Selmy. Ned thinks highly of Ser Barristan, and even though Ned gets some things wrong, he gets more things right – so I am trusting in his assessment of Ser Barristan’s estimation. The best thing for Meereen, I think, was Dany flying away on her dragon: this move frees up Ser Barristan to rule as the Queen’s Hand.

Now, the Stark children “hands down” have far better people around them as advisers, teachers, and supporters. Bran’s support system includes his older brother Robb, Maester Luwin, Old Nan, Osha, Hodor, and then later the Reeds. These people are “positive” influences available to Bran who nurture him and help him to grow emotionally and accept his handicap and his limitations. Jojen Reed is instrumental in Bran’s advancement as a gifted warg, urging him to open his third eye, explaining his wolf dreams, illustrating his own talent of greendreams. Moreover, the Reeds enable Bran to travel to and beyond the Wall in search of the 3EC. Even Summer is a part of Bran, a devoted companion and protector. Likewise, Bran relies on Hodor to transport him. Once in the warded cave, Bran meets his wizard who instructs him on utilizing his greensight. Thus, Bran, unlike Khaleesi, has allies with some honor to replace the loss of his family, his legs, and Winterfell.

Arya, like Bran, has some advisers of merit, even though when she travels to King’s Landing she loses her butcher’s boy and estranges herself from her sister Sansa, all of whom leaves Arya feeling alone. However, Ned is the parent whom she relies on as a confidant and adviser. He warns her of the dangers in King’s Landing, implores her to make nice with Sansa, and allows her to keep Needle. Ned arranges for Syrio Forel to train Arya in the art of water dancing, so Syrio then becomes more than a teacher, and he influences her initial development. Later, those adult figures who follow have more questionable reputations with vague or mercenary motivations. They are not of the same “caliber” as Ned and Syrio, but Arya still has seven years more than Dany with a stable household, Septa, mother, father, siblings, Old Nan, and more who are around as structure in her environment whereas Khaleesi has none of this.

Finally, even Jon at the Wall has beneficial influences in Ser Donal Noye, Benjen, Lord Mormont, Samwell Tarly, Maester Aemon, Ygritte, Qhorin, and more, which shows that the Targs are indeed the most disadvantaged of the lot.

Bran III

Summary:

Brief analysis:

:bowdown: :bowdown: LITTLE WING: GREAT JOB!

i HAVE MORE TO ADD, but I wanted to mention why I think the direwolves go after Tyrion: he is Jaime's brother, and Jaime pushed Bran, and Summer knows this, and through their wolf telepathy, the others know as well. So - Tyrion is LANNISTER, the brother, so it stands to reason the perceptive wolves pick up on this. Just an idea.

I will add more later. I just have to get the things I have written organized. Good job!

EDDARD V

THE INVESTIGATION

As the chapter opens, we see Ned sitting with Pycelle enquiring about Jon Aryns death.

Ned asks him about the events leading up to Jons death, the state of his health, what his mental state was like, and if he had any enemies.

Pycelle looks at Ned through heavily lidded eyes, as if they were almost closed, but before he engages Ned, he calls for ice milk as they are in the latter stages of the Summer, which Ned finds unpleasant.

Pycelle tells Ned that Jon was well loved, and had no enemies. He continues to tell Ned about his concerns that Realm affairs had finally taken a toll on Jon, and also of his concerns about how his family life impacted him, with a high-strung wife and sickly son.

Finally Pycelle tells Ned about the book that Jon took an interest in and gives it to him.

At the end of their conversation, Ned again questions Pycelle about the posibility that perhaps other factors could be at play, such as poison.

Pycelle was immediately defensive and outraged, more so of the fact that poison was a "womans" weapon, but nonetheless assured Ned that he didn't think it was the case.

(I have often gotten frustrated with Ned about his inability to not say damaging things, or being too open with his information. Even if he thought it was poison, he shouldn't have said it out loud, or let Cersei know what he knew, but did as Stannis did, and take cover in his fortress, letting the ravens do the talking).

THE VISIT:

When Ned goes back to his Quarters, he is informed that Little Finger wants to see him. Ned invites LF in, and he immediately perches upon the window seat and then launches into fine-tuned barbs, smiling a mocking smile throughout.

Little Finger then goes on to point out to Ned all the people watching him, the Spider, the Lioness and Ned thanks him, wondering aloud if he was wrong to not trust him.

Little Finger then informs him that not trusting him was the smartest thing Ned could do.

NED CROWNS A QUEEN:

Ned comes upon Arya while she is balancing on one toe on the hand rails of the steps. Ned is afraid she'll fall, but she tells him that a Water Dancer never falls.

Arya asks if Bran will ever walk again, or be a Knight, and Ned lists all the things he can be, but not a Knight, nor will he walk.

When they found out that Bran would live, they all went to godswood in KL. Ned sat vigil, Sansa fell asleep, and later Arya curled up to Ned under his cloak, and went to sleep.

(Ned makes a pointed reference to Cat’s gods during this chapter, clarifying they weren’t his).

Ned says something very intrigueing about Aryas future when she asked if she could be the same things Bran wanted to be, but Ned told her that one day she would marry a KING, (not a nice guy, not a lord, a high lord, or even a Prince, but a KING), rule his castle, and their sons would be great men.

(Somehow this reference made me think of Arthur and his Roundtable, and the kind of legendary figures they were, bringing justice and organization out of chaos- Could Arya be a Matriarch of such powerful men)?

Foreshadowing, and did Ned have prophetic Wolf dreams as well, but ignored them?

SUMMARY AND ANALYSIS:

Throughout, there were references to both the physical world and the metaphysical one.

Kings Landing is figuratively a jungle. Between the Spider, the Lions, the Wolves, and the birds, there is always something watching and ready to strike.

- Cats.

Arya balances dangerously on a precipice, but isn't worried about falling. Arya curls up to Ned under his cloak for warmth and comfort.

Pycelle regards Ned under heavily-lidded eyes as if asleep, but one gets the feeling that Pycelle is very, very aware, and guarded.

Perhaps even stalking Ned himself to find out how much he knows.

- Birds

Littlefinger "perches" on Neds window seat, and regards him mockingly, allowing Ned to think he sees and hears what he wants to see and hear.

He tells him the truth, but Ned thinks it's a lie and puts his trust in Little Finger.

Milk and Flowers:

Pycelle spoke much of offering the Milk of Poppy to help ease the pain, or to pave the way to death.

Poppies have long been used as a symbol of sleep, peace and death.

Milk on the other hand is the food of he gods, immortality and is associated with the moon.

At first glance, useing both milk and poppy together seems to contradict one another, as one produces death, while the other produces life and abundence.

Together however, they are both signs of immortality even as the poppies produce death, or the "next journey."

:bowdown: :bowdown: ALIA OF THE KNIFE / GREAT JOB

I am going to point out a few things you mentioned in your POV and show how they are relevant in Jon’s following POV.

TRANSITIONS FROM PREVIOUS ARYA POV TO JON IV POV

THE THEME OF BALANCE

Jon is “in training” to become a brother of the Night’s Watch just as Arya is “in training” to become a water dancer. Jon instructs Dareon on maintaining his balance just as Arya tries to balance on one foot on the landing in the Red Keep. Both are learning the rules and discipline of swordplay.

When Jon faces three opponents in the yard, Rast, Albett, and Halder, all called by Thorne to take Jon Snow down, to Jon’s surprise, Pypar and Grenn join him, each at his side, making the melee more “balanced” in numbers with three against three:

“Suddenly Pyp was beside him. "Three to two will make for better sport," the small boy said cheerfully. He dropped his visor and slid out his sword. Before Jon could even think to protest, Grenn had stepped up to make a third."

Jon wins his advantage against Halder by “unbalancing” him, which is a motif that plays out in the various POV’s. Maintaining balance is an important aspect of victory in the yard.

The “balancing” act is an illustration of the “magic” and “carnival” motifs in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, and this may be another “literal” and “symbolic” motif Martin develops in his novels because we have “balancing” that his characters must maintain in their POV’s. Fitzgerald also weaves in the theme of illusion versus reality, which we see in Martin’s works; for example, in Gatsby, Gatsby magically appears on his dock, then disappears, and he magically appears in front of Nick at his party. Likewise, Littlefinger shows Ned Varys’ “little birds” who Ned overlooks because they blend into the background; thus, Littlefinger is the “magician” who makes the spies appear before Ned’s very eyes. Furthermore, through Maester Pycelle, Ned learns of Jon Aryn’s wife’s whereabouts: Lady Aryn “disappears” from King’s Landing with all her household retainers.

Littlefinger is like an evil magician who plays Ned like an audience of unseasoned fools who cannot see beyond the “smoke and mirrors” of a mummer’s farce. Ned’s been too long in the north tucked safely away from the intrigues of court. He is not mentally or emotionally equipped to deal with these fools, flatterers, and adders. Maybe that is why Ned frowns when Littlefinger calls him to the window. Ned no longer gravitates to windows as he did in Winterfell, which suggests that Ned is symbolically blind to the truth of what is really going on. He may need to look out the window to see the reality behind Jon Aryn’s death and to look past Littllefinger’s clever dissembling.

Jon, in contrast to Ned, is managing to deal with the adder Ser Alliser Thorne, serving up Thorne some well-deserved desserts when Jon Snow’s “pupils” demonstrate their good progress as a result of Jon’s teaching methodology, which garners improvement among the ranks as opposed to Thorne’s droll name-calling and sarcasm. Jon seemingly takes away some of Thorne’s “control” over his trainees when he rallies them to a cause that spares Tarly further physical abuse ordered by Thorne during sword practice.

Evita,

yes, it's Kim Novak and Pyewacket from Bell, Book and Candle - one of my favourite oldies. :wideeyed: And you're right about Dany and Vis not having wise council when growing up - that might explain quite a lot about Dany... There was no one to rein in a petulant, spoiled brat that is Viserys and Dany had only him as family. But, as Apple Martini notes in a re-read of Dany in the General Forum, we always see things from Dany's perspective... it's not until she leaves Meereen at the very end of Dance that we have different POVs but in vain - as there is no Dany for them to comment on... Barristan sees her in a good light when thinking about her, but ol' Barry served her mad father without question so can we be sure it's not just him portraying his queen in the best possible light as a sort of desperate measure pink goggles on - because she is the only one left that he can serve. He os no one if cannot serve a King or a Queen... He is honorable, to a fault, but GRRM questions this in Barristan and Ned - it is their sticking to honor that turns a blind eye to Aerys's horrors or kills Lady... I think Barristan made excuses in his own mind for Aerys a number of times to justify his own service to a madman... is he doing the same with Dany? Seeing her better than she really is?

Great catch about Tyrion and the direwolves - I think it's spot on. Summer knows it was Jaime who pushed Bran, a Lannister. I smell a Lannister... heheh

Evita,

yes, it's Kim Novak and Pyewacket from Bell, Book and Candle - one of my favourite oldies. :wideeyed: And you're right about Dany and Vis not having wise council when growing up - that might explain quite a lot about Dany... There was no one to rein in a petulant, spoiled brat that is Viserys and Dany had only him as family. But, as Apple Martini notes in a re-read of Dany in the General Forum, we always see things from Dany's perspective... it's not until she leaves Meereen at the very end of Dance that we have different POVs but in vain - as there is no Dany for them to comment on... Barristan sees her in a good light when thinking about her, but ol' Barry served her mad father without question so can we be sure it's not just him portraying his queen in the best possible light as a sort of desperate measure pink goggles on - because she is the only one left that he can serve. He os no one if cannot serve a King or a Queen... He is honorable, to a fault, but GRRM questions this in Barristan and Ned - it is their sticking to honor that turns a blind eye to Aerys's horrors or kills Lady... I think Barristan made excuses in his own mind for Aerys a number of times to justify his own service to a madman... is he doing the same with Dany? Seeing her better than she really is?

Great catch about Tyrion and the direwolves - I think it's spot on. Summer knows it was Jaime who pushed Bran, a Lannister. I smell a Lannister... heheh

:bowdown: :bowdown: LITTLE WING: GOOD POST AGAIN!

In my next POV, I start the “blindness” motif, so what you say about Barristan Selmy and Ned Stark’s blind honor is quite true, and the symbolic blindness has been a thread started from the beginning in AGoT. I found quotes from most of the POV’s that reference the word “blind” but other cases where blindness is inferred. Now, Samwell Tarly announces that he is not blind, and so does LC Mormont, so they are two characters whose viewpoints, I think, we are meant to trust.

I think that Ghost is hesitant of Tyrion for the same way. Ghost waits until Jon makes friends with Tyrion before he relaxes totally around the little man.

:bowdown: :bowdown: ALIA OF THE KNIFE / GREAT JOB

I am going to point out a few things you mentioned in your POV and show how they are relevant in Jon’s following POV.

THE THEME OF BALANCE

Jon is “in training” to become a brother of the Night’s Watch just as Arya is “in training” to become a water dancer. Jon instructs Dareon on maintaining his balance just as Arya tries to balance on one foot on the landing in the Red Keep. Both are learning the rules and discipline of swordplay.

When Jon faces three opponents in the yard, Rast, Albett, and Halder, all called by Thorne to take Jon Snow down, to Jon’s surprise, Pypar and Grenn join him, each at his side, making the melee more “balanced” in numbers with three against three:

“Suddenly Pyp was beside him. "Three to two will make for better sport," the small boy said cheerfully. He dropped his visor and slid out his sword. Before Jon could even think to protest, Grenn had stepped up to make a third."

Jon wins his advantage against Halder by “unbalancing” him, which is a motif that plays out in the various POV’s. Maintaining balance is an important aspect of victory in the yard.

The “balancing” act is an illustration of the “magic” and “carnival” motifs in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, and this may be another “literal” and “symbolic” motif Martin develops in his novels because we have “balancing” that his characters must maintain in their POV’s. Fitzgerald also weaves in the theme of illusion versus reality, which we see in Martin’s works; for example, in Gatsby, Gatsby magically appears on his dock, then disappears, and he magically appears in front of Nick at his party. Likewise, Littlefinger shows Ned Varys’ “little birds” who Ned overlooks because they blend into the background; thus, Littlefinger is the “magician” who makes the spies appear before Ned’s very eyes. Furthermore, through Maester Pycelle, Ned learns of Jon Aryn’s wife’s whereabouts: Lady Aryn “disappears” from King’s Landing with all her household retainers.

Littlefinger is like an evil magician who plays Ned like an audience of unseasoned fools who cannot see beyond the “smoke and mirrors” of a mummer’s farce. Ned’s been too long in the north tucked safely away from the intrigues of court. He is not mentally or emotionally equipped to deal with these fools, flatterers, and adders. Maybe that is why Ned frowns when Littlefinger calls him to the window. Ned no longer gravitates to windows as he did in Winterfell, which suggests that Ned is symbolically blind to the truth of what is really going on. He may need to look out the window to see the reality behind Jon Aryn’s death and to look past Littllefinger’s clever dissembling.

Jon, in contrast to Ned, is managing to deal with the adder Ser Alliser Thorne, serving up Thorne some well-deserved desserts when Jon Snow’s “pupils” demonstrate their good progress as a result of Jon’s teaching methodology, which garners improvement among the ranks as opposed to Thorne’s droll name-calling and sarcasm. Jon seemingly takes away some of Thorne’s “control” over his trainees when he rallies them to a cause that spares Tarly further physical abuse ordered by Thorne during sword practice.

Great transition to Jon, and I think I see a triangle between Jon, Dany, and Arya on their development.

But, going back to your observation on Dany and Viserys childhood, it is true that Dany and Viserys were disadvantaged in terms of upbringing compared to Jon, and on some level I don't wonder if Jons upbringing even as a bastard was more thorough than Aegons?

Same with Arya if she ever falls into their orbit- the dragons may not like the idea of the wolf being better educated. You see some reference to this in TV Arya in her scenes with Tywin, and one of his men doesn't like that she can read.

Bran III

Summary:

Brief analysis:

:bowdown: :bowdown: LITTLE WING:

More regarding Bran’s POV:

I really like your crow as Crone analogy and do wish to hear more about it, especially in regards to the events happening in AGoT where ideas first appear as building blocks to the overall motif or theme.

I noticed that Bran sits in his window seat, which is part of the window symbology, someone on the inside looking out at a world he feels he is no longer a part of. This intimates Bran sitting the weirwood throne as a watcher with a 1000 eyes.

The DOOR symbology first appears when it opens with a bang that causes Bran’s heart to leap in his throat in sudden fear (241), and this noise cut shorts Old Nan’s story during an important juncture: the last hero is being hunted by the Others.

The hunting motif, here with the last hero being hunted and earlier with the maids being hunted parallels the threat that Randyl Tarly makes to Samwell about hunting him down, killing him, skinning him, and cutting out his heart if he does not take the black and renounce his claims to an inheritance.

The door symbology occurs again when the hallway door opens, and sunlight streams across the hall before Rickon enters with the direwolves. Martin writes that the direwolves may have caught Tyrion’s scent, and Greyjoy makes a remark about the wolves not liking Tyrion’s smell, so all this indicates that the direwolves can smell “Lannister” and associate it with “BAD” stuff.

Robb’s unsheathed sword across his lap mirrors the Stark lords and the Kings of Winter whose statues are in the crypts with a sword across their laps and a direwolf at their feet. Notice that Robb calls Grey Wind to heel at his feet. This all intimates Rob’s death, and Ned has already assumed this position several times, which I have noted in my rereads.

Bran and Robb talking in the “darkness” IS part of the blindness motif for Bran hears Robb crying, but he cannot see him. The “Others came in DARKNESS”, according to Old Nan, so the meaning of darkness and blindness is tied to the Others. Also, this brother on brother moment will be played over again with Samwell and Jon Snow.

One other thing I noticed, not necessarily in Bran’s POV now, but earlier Robb describes the direwolves’ song and Khaleesi’s dragon sings to her. These reference the series title, A Song of Ice and Fire, as does the “song of swords” mentioned in Jon’s POV III.

EDDARD V

THE INVESTIGATION

As the chapter opens, we see Ned sitting with Pycelle enquiring about Jon Aryns death.

Ned asks him about the events leading up to Jons death, the state of his health, what his mental state was like, and if he had any enemies.

Pycelle looks at Ned through heavily lidded eyes, as if they were almost closed, but before he engages Ned, he calls for ice milk as they are in the latter stages of the Summer, which Ned finds unpleasant.

Pycelle tells Ned that Jon was well loved, and had no enemies. He continues to tell Ned about his concerns that Realm affairs had finally taken a toll on Jon, and also of his concerns about how his family life impacted him, with a high-strung wife and sickly son.

Finally Pycelle tells Ned about the book that Jon took an interest in and gives it to him.

At the end of their conversation, Ned again questions Pycelle about the posibility that perhaps other factors could be at play, such as poison.

Pycelle was immediately defensive and outraged, more so of the fact that poison was a "womans" weapon, but nonetheless assured Ned that he didn't think it was the case.

(I have often gotten frustrated with Ned about his inability to not say damaging things, or being too open with his information. Even if he thought it was poison, he shouldn't have said it out loud, or let Cersei know what he knew, but did as Stannis did, and take cover in his fortress, letting the ravens do the talking).

THE VISIT:

When Ned goes back to his Quarters, he is informed that Little Finger wants to see him. Ned invites LF in, and he immediately perches upon the window seat and then launches into fine-tuned barbs, smiling a mocking smile throughout.

Little Finger then goes on to point out to Ned all the people watching him, the Spider, the Lioness and Ned thanks him, wondering aloud if he was wrong to not trust him.

Little Finger then informs him that not trusting him was the smartest thing Ned could do.

NED CROWNS A QUEEN:

Ned comes upon Arya while she is balancing on one toe on the hand rails of the steps. Ned is afraid she'll fall, but she tells him that a Water Dancer never falls.

Arya asks if Bran will ever walk again, or be a Knight, and Ned lists all the things he can be, but not a Knight, nor will he walk.

When they found out that Bran would live, they all went to godswood in KL. Ned sat vigil, Sansa fell asleep, and later Arya curled up to Ned under his cloak, and went to sleep.

(Ned makes a pointed reference to Cat’s gods during this chapter, clarifying they weren’t his).

Ned says something very intrigueing about Aryas future when she asked if she could be the same things Bran wanted to be, but Ned told her that one day she would marry a KING, (not a nice guy, not a lord, a high lord, or even a Prince, but a KING), rule his castle, and their sons would be great men.

(Somehow this reference made me think of Arthur and his Roundtable, and the kind of legendary figures they were, bringing justice and organization out of chaos- Could Arya be a Matriarch of such powerful men)?

Foreshadowing, and did Ned have prophetic Wolf dreams as well, but ignored them?

SUMMARY AND ANALYSIS:

Throughout, there were references to both the physical world and the metaphysical one.

Kings Landing is figuratively a jungle. Between the Spider, the Lions, the Wolves, and the birds, there is always something watching and ready to strike.

- Cats.

Arya balances dangerously on a precipice, but isn't worried about falling. Arya curls up to Ned under his cloak for warmth and comfort.

Pycelle regards Ned under heavily-lidded eyes as if asleep, but one gets the feeling that Pycelle is very, very aware, and guarded.

Perhaps even stalking Ned himself to find out how much he knows.

- Birds

Littlefinger "perches" on Neds window seat, and regards him mockingly, allowing Ned to think he sees and hears what he wants to see and hear.

He tells him the truth, but Ned thinks it's a lie and puts his trust in Little Finger.

Milk and Flowers:

Pycelle spoke much of offering the Milk of Poppy to help ease the pain, or to pave the way to death.

Poppies have long been used as a symbol of sleep, peace and death.

Milk on the other hand is the food of he gods, immortality and is associated with the moon.

At first glance, useing both milk and poppy together seems to contradict one another, as one produces death, while the other produces life and abundence.

Together however, they are both signs of immortality even as the poppies produce death, or the "next journey."

:bowdown: :bowdown: ALIA OF THE KNIFE: GOOD JOB WITH EDDARD POV. I found a few other points to develop in your analysis once I had a chance to think it through:

Pycelle’s heavy-lidded eyes and iced milk make me think SNAKE, and in the previous Dany POV, we have Viserys literally depicted as a SNAKE in the grass. Snakes have heavy-lidded eyes and to extract poison from the fangs of a snake, one must milk its glands, I think. So in Dany’s POV and in Ned’s POV “poison” is referenced in regards to Viserys and to Jon Aryn’s death, respectively.

I loved your development of the “milk” and “poppy” symbology. Now, I know everyone is probably tired of me pointing out yet another motif, but we do have MILK as a motif that begins in Bran’s POV I when the direwolf pups are found trying to nurse from their dead mother. Robb says he will nurse his pup himself by dipping a cloth in milk on which his pup can suckle. All the Stark children had to have nursed their pups in such a way since we see the direwolves thriving while in the possession of their owners.

I know “milk” is specifically mentioned in other POV’s, even indirectly, as in Jon’s wet nurse Wylla being at Winterfell before Catelyn returns from Riverun with baby Robb.

It is also ironic that “milk of the poppy” leads to gentle death whereas milk is also the life-giving, nutrient-filled substance for a newborn.

Poppies, just as snakes, can be “milked” for their poison, or for their “healing potions”. This potion eases pain and discomfort and brings about rest necessary to healing. Snake’s venom can be used to create life-sustaining antidote against poison toxins, although that may be a scientific medical advancement not yet discovered in Martin’s world.

I agree with you in your frustration with Ned. I think he is completely out of his element in the south and “blind” to the dissembling. He relies on his “gut” reactions, but then he forgets this initial “knee jerk” reaction and allows himself to be taken in by the manipulations of others.

But I wonder whom else Ned could have discreetly consulted about the nature and side effects of poisons other than a maester? He really has no one in whom he can truly trust. By the way, Pycelle does seem to grow defensive when Ned mentions the poison. Does Pycelle have a guilty conscience? Does he fear that Ned suspects him of feeding Jon Aryn poison? Or is Pycelle sincerely taken aback by Ned’s mention of poison?

I do not know if Ned had wolf dreams, but I definitely think that Robb does.

Good work again, Alia.

AGOT Jon IV

Book 1, Chapter 27

SUMMARY

In Jon’s fourth point-of-view, we see the “new” and “improved” Jon Snow, a more contented recruit of the Night’s Watch who has bonded with his brothers in the training yard, even coaching them to improve their sword wielding skills. Fresh face “lordling” Samwell Tarly arrives at practice to meet his fellow brothers and the notorious master-at-arms Ser Alliser Thorne who demonstrates his cruelty by ordering Halder to strike the fallen Tarly after he collapses to the ground and yields to his opponent. Jon Snow boldly intervenes on behalf of the overweight, craven Samwell, nicknamed “Ser Piggy” and the “Lord of Ham” by Thorne whose attempt to retaliate against Jon Snow only proves that the Stark bastard has won the loyalty of his fellow brothers, two of whom rush in to defend Jon Snow. We see Thorne further frustrated by Snow, and we meet Samwell to learn about his humiliating rejection by his father and the details leading up to his dismissal from Horn Hill to take the black. Samwell and Jon “bond” over their shared prospects as new recruits who both feel “outcast” by their families. Ghost also cozens to Tarly, licking away his tears when he falls into a crying jag. Jon shares his dreams of Winterfell to Samwell, which provides insight for the readers in regards to Jon Snow’s deep-seated feelings about being a “Snow” rather than a “Stark”. Proving his true leadership abilities and his insight into human nature, Jon unites his brothers against Thorn who plans to have Sam beaten and bloodied in the yard, and as a means of convincing any brother who does not promise to leave Tarly untouched in combat, Jon Snow employs his fierce direwolf Ghost to do any final convincing.

THE THEME OF BLANCE

JON AND DAENERYS’ POV’S AND PARALLEL JOURNEYS

Jon and Daenerys’ POV’s are remarkably similar on several points: 1) Both Jon and Dany have adapted to their new environments, have made friends among strangers, and have worked on self-improvement to better their situations; 2) Both Jon and Dany experience provocative, symbolic dreams that may intimate events to come; Jon and Dany “tell” about their dreams, Jon relates his to Samwell Tarly and Dany reveals hers in the narrative as a flashback; 3) Jon Snow shares confidences with Samwell and Dany shares confidences with Ser Jorah; 4) Both Jon and Dany’s actions earn them enemies: Jon wins Ser Alliser Thorne’s loathing, and Dany incites Viserys’ anger; 5) Jon seeks comfort in his direwolf Ghost, and Khaleesi finds comfort in her dragon eggs, especially the red and black one, as well as the dragon in he dreams; 6) Jon has memories of Winterfell and visits the castle and the crypts in his dreams; likewise, Khaleesi has memories of Dragonstone and has visions of the red door.

FIRST SENTENCE

Jon was showing Dareon how best to deliver a sidestroke when the new recruit entered the practice yard.

• This first sentence sets the stage for the chapter in that Martin prepares us straight off for a new recruit, and this new brother will become significant in Jon Snow’s evolving life at the Wall; moreover, through Sam’s relationship with Jon, Martin will reveal Jon Snow’s innate sensitivity, compassion, and empathy, and we can gauge the humanity of others through their treatment of Sam.

• Martin shows Jon Snow teaching another recruit to deliver a side-stroke, which lets readers know that Jon Snow follows through with his promise to help the others in the practice yard and that the bastard can indeed take advice from the authority figures whom he respects, like Donal Noye and Benjen Stark.
  • Dareon benefits from Jon Snow’s tutelage, and we become familiar with Dareon’s name early in the series; moreover, we see Jon take a special interest in his success, and Jon will later trust Dareon enough to send him with Sam, Gilly, and Maester Aemon on their trek to the Citadel. The events that transpire involving Dareon’s fate are ironic in that they exemplify the adage “no good deed goes unpunished”: Dareon deserts the Night’s Watch while it is under Lord Jon Snow’s command, even though Jon treats Dareon favorably from the very beginning of AGoT.

Your feet should be farther apart," he urged. "You don't want to lose your balance. That's good. Now pivot as you deliver the stroke, get all your weight behind the blade."

• Jon’s instruction to Dareon to spread his feet out to maintain “balance” echoes Arya’s “balancing” on one foot to become a water dancer in the past Eddard POV. Even earlier in a Jon POV, Jon gifts Arya Needle and has Arya check out its balance when she holds it.

Dareon broke off and lifted his visor. "Seven gods," he murmured. "Would you look at this, Jon."

• By these words “Would you look at THIS” is how the readers are initially introduced to Samwell Tarly: Dareon does not even identify him with a “man”: Samwell is a “this” – an asexual object, not a sentient being.
  • Samwell’s girth upon his arrival halts Dareon in the middle of sword play.
  • Dareon lifts his visor to see Sam clearly.

Jon turned. Through the eye slit of his helm, he beheld the fattest boy he had ever seen standing in the door of the armory.

• Jon first sees Sam through the “eye slit” of his helm, which is an interesting note that relates to the WINDOW motif: looking through a visor is similar to looking through a window. Jon’s vision is impeded here, evident in that all Jon first sees in Samwell is his fat physical appearance. Jon is learning to see beyond the appearance of a person just as his “vision” of Samwell’s worth as a human being will become clearer once he takes off his visor – or gets to know him.
  • Sam stands in the DOOR of the armory, making an entrance into Jon’s world for a purpose.

By the look of him, he must have weighed twenty stone. The fur collar of his embroidered surcoat was lost beneath his chins. Pale eyes moved nervously in a great round moon of a face, and plump sweaty fingers wiped themselves on the velvet of his doublet. "They . . . they told me I was to come here for . . . for training," he said to no one in particular.

• Martin’s words evoke an image of Samwell Tarly whose size marks him as “different” from the others and whose embroidered surcoat, fur collar, and velvet doublet mark him as a lordling.

"A lordling," Pyp observed to Jon. "Southron, most like near Highgarden." Pyp had traveled the Seven Kingdoms with a mummers' troupe, and bragged that he could tell what you were and where you'd been born just from the sound of your voice.

• Thorne’s sarcastic remark about the poachers and thieves sent from the south to the Wall not only insults Samwell Tarly but the others sent to the wall for their criminal acts.
  • I find it ironic that these “criminals” who have been sentenced to take the black for their crimes of raping, poaching, thieving, and the like are submissive in Thorne’s training yard: if these men were really dangerous, they would disrespect Thorne’s authority and act out with hostility rather than endure his taunts and tortures.
  • The red- embroidered huntsman sigil on Samwell’s breast represents his House just as the direwolf represents House Stark.
  • Thorne equates Samwell to pigs and the product of such: ham.

Samwell brings his own fitted armor, but Ser Alliser Thorne insists that since none of it is black, he should equip himself from the armory. This only makes more work for Donal Noye who must adapt the armor to fit Samwell’s girth and large-sized head. Samwell’s leathers are so tightly bound that he looks like a plump sausage. Thorne makes fun of Samwell’s appearance and sets Halder to give Samwell a beating.

"Let us hope you are not as inept as you look," Ser Alliser said. "Halder, see what Ser Piggy can do."

Jon Snow winced. Halder had been born in a quarry and apprenticed as a stonemason. He was sixteen, tall and muscular, and his blows were as hard as any Jon had ever felt. "This will be uglier than a whore's ass," Pyp muttered, and it was.

• Jon Snow and the others know that Halde’s blows are hard, and they realize that Thorne is working his humiliation game again in the yard, setting one brother against another.

The fight lasted less than a minute before the fat boy was on the ground, his whole body shaking as blood leaked through his shattered helm and between his pudgy fingers. "I yield," he shrilled. "No more, I yield, don't hit me." Rast and some of the other boys were laughing.

• Thorne establishes himself as a bully when he picks on Samwell even after the fallen boy “yields” to Halder. Thorne derives satisfaction from Samwell’s pleas not to hit him, and Thorne is pleased that Rast and a few others also find his antics amusing. It is an especial abomination for a teacher with the responsibility to teach combat to inexperienced boys to abuse his position by encouraging his pupils to take arms against a brother, to disregard mercy, and to laugh when another weaker has fallen.

Even then, Ser Alliser would not call an end. "On your feet, Ser Piggy," he called. "Pick up your sword." When the boy continued to cling to the ground, Thorne gestured to Halder. "Hit him with the flat of your blade until he finds his feet." Halder delivered a tentative smack to his foe's upraised cheeks. "You can hit harder than that," Thorne taunted. Halder took hold of his longsword with both hands and brought it down so hard the blow split leather, even on the flat. The new boy screeched in pain.

• Thorne uses his position to create amusing entertainment for himself and any others alike in nature. To Thorne, assigning a recruit with the job of beating another bloody makes for an amusing practice, in which Thorne has Halder do the dirty work that Thorne cannot.

Jon Snow took a step forward. Pyp laid a mailed hand on his arm. "Jon, no," the small boy whispered with an anxious glance at Ser Alliser Thorne.

• Pyp tries to hold back Jon Snow’s inclination to intercede on behalf of Samwell and bring a stop to Halder battering Samwell. Pyp’s concern for the welfare of Jon Snow shows that Jon has allies in the ranks, unlike the Jon Snow we met in an earlier point-of-view. Pyp fears that Thorne will shift his focus from Samwell to Snow, Thorne’s favorite recipient of daily abuse.

"On your feet," Thorne repeated. The fat boy struggled to rise, slipped, and fell heavily again. "Ser Piggy is starting to grasp the notion," Ser Alliser observed. "Again."

Halder lifted the sword for another blow. "Cut us off a ham!" Rast urged, laughing.

Jon shook off Pyp's hand. "Halder, enough."

• Thorne’s nickname for Samwell, “Ser Piggy” is a choice filled with literary merit because a young boy named Piggy appears in a classic novel written by Sir William Golding entitled Lord of the Flies. Like Samwell in the yard, Piggy becomes the brunt of insults and jokes because of his fatness, his “ass –mar”, his disinclination for manual labor, and his whining about inequities on the deserted island. Yet Golding’s Piggy has some redeeming qualities: Piggy “knows stuff” – Piggy has knowledge that he can contribute the the group of stranded school children if they only wish to hear. Sadly, his efforts to communicate the importance of maintaining civilized behavior is ignored because the children prefer no rules to obey, no chores or duties, no organization, no honest government.

• Likewise, Samwell Tarly’s talents are hidden beneath his folds of fat. He may not be a swordsman, but he is an intellect who values and appreciates books. He can read, he can cipher, and he can record history. Because Jon Snow forms an alliance with Samwell, Samwell will have the opportunity to advance in the Watch by researching in the worm ways, writing letters, and tending the ravens. In Lord of the Flies, Piggy does not have an ally strong enough to save him from the cruelty of the savages who join Jack Merridew’s tribe. Once these children abandon all vestiges of civilized behavior, former leader Ralph can do nothing to reestablish his authority and safeguard Piggy from danger.

Halder looked to Ser Alliser.

"The Bastard speaks and the peasants tremble," the master-at-arms said in that sharp, cold voice of his. "I remind you that I am the master-at-arms here, Lord Snow."

• Thorne’s “sharp” voice reinforces an earlier comparison to his voice having an edge like Valyrian steel, and the “cold” corresponds to the environment at the Wall, to Thorne’s cold heart, and to the “cold” in a blade of steel.
  • Thorne reveals that Jon Snow is an annoyance in his comments, and by Thorne reminding Snow that he is the master-at-arms only serves to weaken Thorne’s stature because a competent master-at-arms would never need to clarify for his men who is in charge. Thorne’s attacks on Snow expose Thorne as insecure and threatened by the upstart Bastard.

"Look at him, Halder," Jon urged, ignoring Thorne as best he could. "There's no honor in beating a fallen foe. He yielded." He knelt beside the fat boy.

Halder lowered his sword. "He yielded," he echoed.

• Martin conveys much in this exchange for Halder heeds Jon’s orders and ignores Thorne’s.

Ser Alliser's onyx eyes were fixed on Jon Snow. "It would seem our Bastard is in love," he said as Jon helped the fat boy to his feet. "Show me your steel, Lord Snow."

Jon drew his longsword. He dared defy Ser Alliser only to a point, and he feared he was well beyond it now.

Thorne smiled. "The Bastard wishes to defend his lady love, so we shall make an exercise of it. Rat, Pimple, help our Stone Head here." Rast and Albett moved to join Halder. "Three of you ought to be sufficient to make Lady Piggy squeal. All you need do is get past the Bastard."

• Thorne’s viciousness does not have an OFF switch as he twists Jon Snow’s efforts to spare Samwell an undeserved beating into another insult that implicates that Jon Snow “loves” Lady Piggy in a homosexual way, which exposes Thorne’s marked hatred for Jon Snow and insinuates that Samwell will be a future target for abuse not only for his size and ineptitude but also because Samwell is defended by Jon Snow, the new recruit most despised and least likely to be manipulated by Thorne.
  • Thorne labels Snow “the Bastard”, Halder “Stone Head”, Samwell “Lady Piggy”, all “droll names” characteristic of Thorne’s efforts to humiliate these “green boys” assigned to him to learn arms.
  • More evidence of Thorne’s harsh lessons is his attempt to place Jon Snow at a disadvantage in combat, ordering three against one.

"Stay behind me," Jon said to the fat boy. Ser Alliser had often sent two foes against him, but never three. He knew he would likely go to sleep bruised and bloody tonight. He braced himself for the assault.

• We are apprised of the fact that Thorne has set Jon up for defeat in the past by making him fight two opponents.
  • Jon Snow resigns himself to the fate of another night going to sleep “bruised and bloody” after unfair exercise in the yard.
  • Thorne may think his tactics are displaying his power over these men, conditioning them to be part of the Watch, but in reality he is alienating them. By continuing with name-calling and harsh orders Thorne is only compelling the trainees to align their loyalties with Jon Snow, the only one among them who dares to challenge Thorne’s commands.

The yard had grown deathly quiet. Jon could feel Ser Alliser's eyes. "Why are you waiting?" he asked Rast and the others in a voice gone deceptively soft, but it was Jon who moved first. Halder barely got his sword up in time.

• The adverb “deathly” indicates the tension in the yard and hints at the sword fight to take place.

Jon drove him backward, attacking with every blow, keeping the older boy on the heels. Know your foe, Ser Rodrik had taught him once; Jon knew Halder, brutally strong but short of patience, with no taste for defense. Frustrate him, and he would leave himself open, as certain as sunset.

The clang of steel echoed through the yard as the others joined battle around him. Jon blocked a savage cut at his head, the shock of impact running up his arm as the swords crashed together. He slammed a sidestroke into Halder's ribs, and was rewarded with a muffled grunt of pain. The counterstroke caught Jon on the shoulder. Chainmail crunched, and pain flared up his neck, but for an instant Halder was unbalanced. Jon cut his left leg from under him, and he fell with a curse and a crash.

• The “clang of steel” replaces the “song” from the first time we joined the sword play in the yard.
  • Jon wins his advantage against Halder by “unbalancing” him, which is a motif that plays out in the various POV’s. Maintaining balance is an important aspect of victory in the yard.

Grenn was standing his ground as Jon had taught him, giving Albett more than he cared for, but Pyp was hard-pressed. Rast had two years and forty pounds on him. Jon stepped up behind him and rang the raper's helm like a bell. As Rast went reeling, Pyp slid in under his guard, knocked him down, and leveled a blade at his throat. By then Jon had moved on. Facing two swords, Albett backed away. "I yield," he shouted.

Ser Alliser Thorne surveyed the scene with disgust. "The mummer's farce has gone on long enough for today." He walked away. The session was at an end.

• Jon Snow, Grenn, and Pyoar defeat Halderm Rast, and Albett, Thorne’s selections to defeat Jon Snow in what he perceives may be an “unbalanced” alliance.
  • Thorne calls it a “mummer’s farce” – so he uses the men he trains as pieces in staging what he hoped would be a bloody performance.

• Thorne as the master manipulator leaves the scene when things to not go his way.

Dareon helped Halder to his feet. The quarryman's son wrenched off his helm and threw it across the yard. "For an instant, I thought I finally had you, Snow."

"For an instant, you did," Jon replied. Under his mail and leather, his shoulder was throbbing. He sheathed his sword and tried to remove his helm, but when he raised his arm, the pain made him grit his teeth.

"Let me," a voice said. Thick-fingered hands unfastened helm from gorget and lifted it off gently. "Did he hurt you?"

• Samwell’s move to assist Jon Snow demonstrates the beginning of a stronger bond between the two. Moreover, Samwell shows his appreciation for Jon coming to his rescue in the yard.

"I've been bruised before." He touched his shoulder and winced. The yard was emptying around them.

Blood matted the fat boy's hair where Halder had split his helm asunder. "My name is Samwell Tarly, of Horn . . . " He stopped and licked his lips. "I mean, I was of Horn Hill, until I . . . left. I've come to take the black. My father is Lord Randyll, a bannerman to the Tyrells of Highgarden. I used to be his heir, only . . . " His voice trailed off.

"I'm Jon Snow, Ned Stark's bastard, of Winterfell."

Samwell Tarly nodded. "I . . . if you want, you can call me Sam. My mother calls me Sam."

"You can call him Lord Snow," Pyp said as he came up to join them. "You don't want to know what his mother calls him."

"These two are Grenn and Pypar," Jon said.

"Grenn's the ugly one," Pyp said.

• Jon Snow, Samwell, Grenn, and Pypar all make one another’s acquaintance, and Jon, Grenn, and Pypar are amazed and speechless when Samwell confesses that he is a craven, After Samwell leaves, Grenn says no one likes cravens and he wishes that they had not associated with such because they do not want to be labeled craven as well. Jon remains quiet.

"My thanks to all of you," the fat boy said gravely.

"Why didn't you get up and fight?" Grenn demanded.

"I wanted to, truly. I just . . . I couldn't. I didn't want him to hit me anymore." He looked at the ground. "I . . . I fear I'm a coward. My lord father always said so."

Grenn looked thunderstruck. Even Pyp had no words to say to that, and Pyp had words for everything. What sort of man would proclaim himself a coward?

Samwell Tarly must have read their thoughts on their faces. His eyes met Jon's and darted away, quick as frightened animals. "I . . . I'm sorry," he said. "I don't mean to . . . to be like I am." He walked heavily toward the armory.

Jon called after him. "You were hurt," he said. "Tomorrow you'll do better."

Sam looked mournfully back over one shoulder. "No I won't," he said, blinking back tears. "I never do better."

When he was gone, Grenn frowned. "Nobody likes cravens," he said uncomfortably. "I wish we hadn't helped him. What if they think we're craven too?"

**We learn that Jon has adapted to his new routine at Castle Black, and he demonstrates contentment and satisfaction in performing his many duties:

• Jon ranges to bring back gme for the Lord Commander’s table.Jon spins whetstones s Donal Noye sharpens axes.
  • Jon pumps the billows as the smithie hammers out swords.
  • Jon run messages.
  • He stands guard.
  • He mucks out stables
  • He assists Maester Aemon with his birds.
  • He assist Bowen Marsh with his counts and inventories.

Jon also scatters gravel over icy footpaths atop the Wall, along with Ghost, and while at this task, Jon Thinks on Tyrion Lannister’s advie “Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it.” Jon applies this to Samwell, and reasons that there is a world full of cravens who pretend to be brave, and Samwell shows courage by admitting his cowardice.

In the commons room, Jon sits with Samwell and introduces him to his direwolf Ghost who immediately cozens to Samwell with no dismissive show of teeth. Samwell is wide-eyed at the wolf, but Samwell has a natural fear of anything, it seems.

MOCKING MOTIF

Pyp’s mummer’s tricks include mocking, which is another literary element of the ongoing motif. Apparently Pyp can “mime” the voices of others, and the eunichs in his tales sound suspiciously like Ser Alliser Thorne.

Ser Alliser’s droll names for his recruits are mocking: Lord of Ham, Ser Piggy, Rat, Lord Snow, etc.

BLIND MOTIF

The “blind motif” is furthered as well when Samwell announces that he is not BLIND when Jon asks him if he has seen the Wall yet. This remark is very important because Martin is hinting at Samwell always seeing things “truly”.

PAST POV BLIND REMARKS:

Ned to Arya: “Even a blind man could see that wolf would never have left you willingly” (222).

Mormont to Tyrion: “I would have to be as blind as Maester Aemon not to see what they are” (207).

Ser Jorah to Khaleesi: “Even a man as blind as your brother should be able to follow our trail” (232).

Littlefinger to Edward: “Our good Robert is practiced at closing his eyes to things he would rather not see” (199).

**Jon and Samwell go outside to talk. When Samwell reveals his fears of riding the winch to the top of the Wall because he is scared of high places, Jon asks him why such a coward as he joins the Night’s Watch. Samwell collapses on the ground, crying. Jon feels helpless, but Ghost knows how to comfort him. He licks away Samwell’s tears, which makes him laugh. Both sit on the cold ground to share stories of their lives.

Jon tells Samwell the story of finding the direwolves and of his recurring dream of Winterfell.

JON’S DREAM

Jon’s recurring dream may have multilayered meanings:

• The doors in Jon’s dream are significant because Jon opens them in his attempt to find someone at Winterfell. The fact that he does not cross the thresholds and finds “no one” may foreshadow the eventual deaths of the Stark family: we know that Robb and Ned both die, and Jon believes that Bran and Rickon are dead.

• When Jon opens the door to the crypts and descends with no light, he does so without wanting to see what is down there: he is afraid of what he will see. If Jon is “alive”, then he does not belong with the dead; hence his fear of going down to death, which may explain Jon’s apprehension, aside from the darkness and no light.
  • The darkness may suggest that Jon is symbolically blind and unable to see the truth because he has no “Light” – or the Knowledge he needs to connect the dots, or figure out what he needs to in order to achieve enlightenment.
  • When Jon says that he finds “no one”, this may ironically hint that when Jon returns to Winterfell, he will only find “Arya” alive in the castle.
  • Jon wakes up from the ever increasing darkness of his dream to find himself “cold”, “clammy,” and “shivering”, all words that emphasize his environment. But Ghost provides him with warmth that he compares to “daybreak”, all of which may suggest Ghost as a symbolic link to “life” and “light”, and if we extend the symbolism of light, it is through Ghost that Jon will garner the knowledge he so desperately seeks behind the doors he opens, and through Ghost Jon will receive “life”.
  • Jon’s dream can also be interpreted as a metaphor that reveals his feelings of abandonment. Jon misses Winterfell, so it is natural that he would dream of his home and of his family, all memories foremost in his daily thoughts that may appear in his nightly dreams.

I think that the dream means the following:

• The “doors” with no one behind them means certain Starks will not be returning to Winterfell accept to be buried in the crypts: Ned, Benjen, and Robb specifically. Since Jon finds “no one”, this mean that he and Arya will meet again.
  • Jon’s journey down the spiral staircase into ever increasing darkness intimates that Jon will journey in a realm between life and death. If the crypts symbolize death, Jon wakes up before meeting with that which he fears.
  • Ghost is warmth, light, knowledge, the weirwoods, the old gods, all of which also encompass Bran, Bloodraven, and the CotF. So through Jon and all the symbolic aspects of Ghost, Jon will live – not die. And Jon will see “daybreak” or the “light”, all suggesting that through Ghost, Jon will receive the knowledge, or learn the truth.
  • I think that Jon’s dream hints at Jon’s near death experience during which he will warg Ghost who will allow him to live. While in Ghost, Jon will learn some truths, or all truths, which may include his parentage, the nature of the white walkers, the secrets long forgotten at Winterfell, the whereabouts of his surviving family, and more, or less.

SAMWELL’S STORY

Jon allows Samwell to talk so that Jon can learn how a self-confessed coward is at the Wall.

• The Tarly’s are a family old in honor.
  • They are bannermen to Mace Tyrell of Highgarden.
  • They own a strong keep, rich lands, and a greatsword of Valyrian steel Hearttsbane which has been passed down from father to son for five hundred years.
  • Randyl Tarly lost any pride in his first born son Samwell because as he grew up, he was plump, soft, and awkward.
  • Samwell loved music, singing, haning out in the kitchen for lemon cakes; he wears velvets, reads books, loves kittens, and enjoys dancing.
  • The sight of blood makes Samwell ill, and he cannot stand to see an animal put down [which is the exact psychological trick Randyl using when dismissing Samwell, he is carving a deer – frightening Samwell who hates blood and animals hurt.]
  • Randyl has a dozen masters-at-arms come to Horn Hall to make Samwell a knight.
  • Samwell is abused in the process, cursed and caned, slapped and starved.
  • He was forced to wear chainmail in order to feel more martial.
  • He was forced to wear women’s dresses in order to shame and humiliate him.
  • Randyl Tarly even resorts to black magic by employing two warlocks from Qarth who had Samwell bathe in aurochs’ blood. Samwell became ill and vomited.

After his younger brother is born, Tarly puts his energy into his healthier, more robust son, but on Samwell’s fifteenth nameday, Samwell awakes to his saddled horse and his “walking papers”: his father threatens him, both verbally and visually, for as Randyl delivers his cold words, he is carving up a deer, another part of the MOCKING motif, for the deer is a visual, symbolic stand in for Samwell himself.

Randyl tells Samwell that he is not fit to inherit the land, title, and Heartsbane. He says that Samwell will decide to take the black, and that he will forsake all claims to Dickon’s inheritance. He is to start north that evening.

IF Samwell does not do s Tarly instructs, then on the morrow, they will hunt down Samwell like the pig he is. Tarly punctuates his ultimatum by ripping out the deer’s heart and holding up to Samwell, sayimg “The Night’s Watch or the heart?”

A DANGEROUS GAME / LORD OF THE FLIES

Another pattern in Martin’s works has to do with using human beings as prey to hunt and kill [and skin]. Randyl Tarly threats to hunt down Samwell and kill him, even implying he will cut out his heart if he does not take the black and renounce his claim to the inheritance.

Since Samwell is called “Ser Piggy” by Ser Alliser Thorne, it relates to Golding’s novel The Lord of the Flies, wherein a hunting and military motif thread through the work culminates with the savage children hunting down another child for the purpose of killing him and eating him and mounting his head on a stake to appease a BEAST that does not exist.

Thankfully, Jon Snow is an ally for Samwell Tarly, who intervenes so that Ser Alliser Thorne cannot get to him in the practice yard. Jom has the voice of reason and shields Samwell as much as he can from being harmed by actions and words of others.

DAREON’S VOICE

Jon shrugged. "There's hot cider to drink, or mulled wine if you prefer. Some nights Dareon sings for us, if the mood is on him. He was a singer, before . . . well, not truly, but almost, an apprentice singer."

"How did he come here?" Sam asked.

"Lord Rowan of Goldengrove found him in bed with his daughter. The girl was two years older, and Dareon swears she helped him through her window, but under her father's eye she named it rape, so here he is. When Maester Aemon heard him sing, he said his voice was honey poured over thunder." Jon smiled. "Toad sometimes sings too, if you call it singing. Drinking songs he learned in his father's winesink. Pyp says his voice is piss poured over a fart." They laughed at that together

• People often reference Maester Aemon’s comment about Dareon’s voice sounding like “honey poured over thunder.”

• To me, he must sound like Russell Crowe does when he sings the role of Javert in Les Miserables. [i confess, that is not a compliment: but Crowe’s voice does sound like thunder tempered with honey!]

JON’S PLAN

"Stop it!" Jon snapped angrily.

The other boys fell silent, taken aback by his sudden fury. "Listen to me," Jon said into the quiet, and he told them how it was going to be. Pyp backed him, as he'd known he would, but when Halder spoke up, it was a pleasant surprise. Grenn was anxious at the first, but Jon knew the words to move him. One by one the rest fell in line. Jon persuaded some, cajoled some, shamed the others, made threats where threats were required. At the end they had all agreed . . . all but Rast.

When Jon returns to the common hall and hears his brothers calling Sam names, Jon “snaps” at them – so beware! Jon’s inner direwolf is coming out!

Behaving like a LEADER, Jon takes charge of a plan that will safeguard Samwell in the practice yard against Thorne’s cruel advances, because all know that Thorne will make Tarly a punching bag for the others and if there is no let up, Samwell will be severely injured or killed.

Jon TAKES THE INITIATIVE to unite his brothers in a common cause to protect another. Jon employs all manner of persuasion to win his brothers, threatening and cajoling and more.

Jon becomes the moral compass for the new recruits under Thorne by thwarting Thorne’s plans of having Tarly humiliated and hurt. Thus, Jon Snow matures a great deal during his short stint at the Wall. In his fourth POV, Jon proves he can take well-meaning advice from others and apply the knowledge to improve his circumstances at the Wall. Instead of grandstanding during practice, Jon works with each recruit to help him improve his footing, his hold, his balance, his strike. By following and applying the advice of Donal Noye, Benjen Stark, and Tyrion Lannister, Jon is fitting in and leading his new brothers.

SAMWELL IS NOT BLIND

Fat and awkward and frightened he might be, but Samwell Tarly was no fool. One night he visited Jon in his cell. “I don’t know what you did,” he said, “but I know you did it.” He looked away shyly. “I’ve never had a friend before.”

“We’re not friends,” Jon said. He put a hand on Sam’s broad shoulder. “We’re brothers.”

And so they were, he thought to himself after Sam had taken his leave. Robb and Bran and Rickon were his father’s sons, and he loved them still, yet Jon knew that he had never truly been one of them. Catelyn Stark had seen to that. The grey walls of Winterfell might still haunt his dreams, but Castle Black was his life now, and his brothers were Sam and Grenn and Halder and Pyp and the other cast-outs who wore the black of the Night’s Watch.

“My uncle spoke truly,” he whispered to Ghost. He wondered if he would ever see Benjen Stark again, to tell him.

• Martin demonstrates Samwell’s insight here, proving that he is not blind but perceptive. Jon himself notes that Samwell is not fool. Samwell thanks Jon for the magic he has done.
  • The poignant ending here is worth rereading: Jon has a brother and he sees what Benjen had told him about the brotherhood. He confides his knowledge to Ghost, who knows all of Jon’s secrets.

Great post, Evita! :bowdown:

The very last paragraph of the chapter, where Jon thinks of Sam and the gang as his brothers and slowly starts to "let go" of Winterfell and the brotherly connection with his cousins (if R+L = J) made me think of his crypt dreams and Dany's dragon dreams as having the same purpose - to remind them who they are, whether they like it or not, at a time they seem to be losing themselves in other "families" - Jon finally fitting and finding his place in the Watch and Dany practically becoming Dothraki. It's like Jon's dreams are forcing him to see he does belong to Winterfell and the Starks. If Jon's dreams are at all prophetic (and I think they are, at least a little bit - he sees a destroyed Winterfell in this particular dream after all, foreshadowing the sack of WF), so if they are prophetic, he seems to be desperate not to know what the crypt dream discloses... as if he can feel in his dream that it's something life changing and a bit heart-breaking. Deep down, he is not ready to find out that Ned is not his father. That is what he (well, his unconscious self) is avoiding in his dreams, to find out who he is. It's like there's a wiser, unconscious part of him that knows it still isn't time for this disclosure in his life. That's a bit far out,I know, but dreams are sometimes like that - our unconscious self pushing something we may not like to know to the surface in a round about, symbolic way - and we dream... and if Jon's dreams are magic /prophetic to boot, well... who knows?

As for Thorne and Evita's wondering how come it is that criminals in the Watch he is training listen to him/fear him - well, first off - that just tells you more about Thorne and his sadistic ways, when criminals shy away from him. But then there's also two more things - some of these criminals are actually innocent of their crimes, so they are not actual criminals but singers, mummers and vagabonds with ill luck. The other thing is that those who are criminals have no other choice but to sullenly suffer Thorne although in their mind they probably kill him in horrid ways...

I love the idea of keeping balanced by two centers of balance being wider apart (as Jon tells Dareon that his ballance is better if his legs are more apart). The same thing goes in balance poses in yoga, well at least when, let's say, Warrior 3 is concerned. In order to stay balanced when in Warrior 3, you must keep stretching your arm in front in one direction while stretching your leg behind in the opposite direction. So, pulling in opposite directions keeps you balanced - and you don't fall out of Warrior 3 :laugh: Now, hopefully this example isn't too silly, but what I'm getting at is that Fire and Ice as the opposite magical forces need to exist, both of them, and keep doing their thing equally, each pulling at its own, opposite direction, to keep the balance (maybe, as the standing leg in warrior 3 is in the middle, with all the preassure on it, so are men in the middle of the Ice and Fire push and pull?). I believe that balance is now out of whack, but I don't know if the solution is the annihilation of one of them, or both of them. They both need to exist, in equal proportions, doing their own thing. If it turns out Jon and Dany are symbols of these opposing powers - does it mean that the separation of the two balancing centers to keep everything balanced mean they'll never meet? /crackpot

Archived