Euron's attack on Oldtown

Fire Eater

Euron is eventually going to assault Oldtown. I don't think Euron is going to have a frontal assault on Oldtown with the increased harbor defenses and Redwyne's fleet.

There is some foreshadowing to the battle.

AFfC Samawell V

"The Ravenry is the oldest building at the Citadel," Alleras told him, as they crossed over the slow-flowing waters of Honeywine. "In the Age of Heroes it was supposedly the stronghold of a pirate lord who sat here robbing ships as they came down the river."

In this case, a pirate lord (Euron) will be coming down the Honeywine River. He will have the longships carried overland, like Vikings did in the real world, to the waters of the Honeywine river. He will attack from behind where the Hightowers least expect it.

AFfC Samwell V

"The Citadel is not what it was," complained the blond. [Lazy Leo speaking to Sam] They will take anything these days. Dusky dogs and Dornishmen, pig boys, cripples, cretins and now a black-clad whale. And here I thought leviathans were gray.

ADwD Davos III

Behind the dais a kraken and a leviathan were locked in battle beneath the painted waves.

Sam will participate in the battle. Alleras will help Sam improve his archery skills, and the results of the training will show.

AFfC Samwell V

The gates of the Citadel were flanked by a pair of towering green sphinxes with the bodies of lions, the wings of eagles and the tails of serpents.

The Celtic griffin had the body of a lion and the wings of an eagle, and in some other cases, the tail of a serpent. This foreshadows Connington coming to Oldtown. He will be Oldtown's savior in that battle.

I think the battle will turn out to be something reminiscent of the Battle of Redgrass Field. Like Baelor Breakspear arriving with forces of Dornishmen and Stormlanders to surprise the Blackfyre army and take them in the rear, Connington will bring his forces made up of Dornishmen and Stormlanders to aid Oldtown to win their allegiance, and surprise the Ironborn and crush them against the city walls.

Eustace Osgrey stated that the battle was lost by the Blackfyres before Baelor arrived when Bloodraven slew Daemon with bow and arrow. Euron's nickname may hint at his demise, his black Crow's Eye could be a kind of bullseye, the black or outlined black circular spot on a target, that will be taken out by the crow, Sam. The Battle of Oldtown will already be decided when Sam slays Euron with a bow and arrow.

If King's Landing loses Oldtown and the Arbor, the whole realm will fall to pieces, he [sam] thought

KL will lose Oldtown and the Arbor when Lords Hightower and Redwyne swear fealty to Aegon in return for aiding them.

Thoughts?

I think that Euron is destined for much bigger things than to be a fall guy that brings the Reach to Aegon's side. If Euron want's Oldtown, my bet would be that he will get it, or at least get what it is that he wants from the Citadel.

I think that Euron is destined for much bigger things than to be a fall guy that brings the Reach to Aegon's side. If Euron want's Oldtown, my bet would be that he will get it, or at least get what it is that he wants from the Citadel.

I think Connington has better sense than that. He would be winning one of the richest and most powerful bannermen of the Tyrells away from them if he defends Oldtown from the Ironborn, and Euron wants to be king of Westeros which conflicts with Aegon. He could possibly also win the Redwynes and other lords of the Reach.

I agree, that guy knows what he is doing.

Euron is eventually going to assault Oldtown. I don't think Euron is going to have a frontal assault on Oldtown with the increased harbor defenses and Redwyne's fleet.

There is some foreshadowing to the battle.

AFfC Samawell V

"The Ravenry is the oldest building at the Citadel," Alleras told him, as they crossed over the slow-flowing waters of Honeywine. "In the Age of Heroes it was supposedly the stronghold of a pirate lord who sat here robbing ships as they came down the river."

In this case, a pirate lord (Euron) will be coming down the Honeywine River. He will have the longships sail up the Mander a little, and then carry the longships overland, like Vikings did in the real world, to the waters of the Honeywine river. He will attack from behind where the Hightowers least expect it.

AFfC Samwell V

"The Citadel is not what it was," complained the blond. [Lazy Leo speaking to Sam] They will take anything these days. Dusky dogs and Dornishmen, pig boys, cripples, cretins and now a black-clad whale. And here I thought leviathans were gray.

ADwD Davos III

Behind the dais a kraken and a leviathan were locked in battle beneath the painted waves.

Sam will participate in the battle. Alleras will help Sam improve his archery skills, and the results of the training will show.

I think the battle will turn out to be something reminiscent of the Battle of Redgrass Field. Like Baelor Breakspear arriving with forces to surprise the Blackfyre army and take them in the rear, Connington will bring his forces to aid Oldtown to win their allegiance, and surprise the Ironborn and crush them against the city walls.

Eustace Osgrey stated that the battle was lost by the Blackfyres before Baelor arrived when Bloodraven slew Daemon with bow and arrow. Euron's nickname may hint at his demise, his black Crow's Eye could another bullseye, the black or outlined black circular spot on a target, that will be taken out a by the crow, Sam. The Battle of Oldtown will already be decided when Sam slays Euron with an a bow and arrow.

If King's Landing loses Oldtown and the Arbor, the whole realm will fall to pieces, he [sam] thought

KL will lose Oldtown and the Arbor when Lords Hightower and Redwyne swear fealty to Aegon in return for aiding them.

Thoughts?

Much as I can see Same getting caught up in defending Oldtown, and maybe thwart Euron in some way, I don't think Sam the Slayer will slay Crow's Eye that easily. Euron's going to have a longer run than that.

Maybe Sam will defeat him later, and with magic. Yeah that's right, if Jon gets to be an improvised ranger, he gets to be an improvised wizard. His dad will throw a fit.

Much as I can see Same getting caught up in defending Oldtown, and maybe thwart Euron in some way, I don't think Sam the Slayer will slay Crow's Eye that easily. Euron's going to have a longer run than that.

Maybe Sam will defeat him later, and with magic. Yeah that's right, if Jon gets to be an improvised ranger, he gets to be an improvised wizard. His dad will throw a fit.

Just two words: weirwood arrows. Weirwood is known to be useful for making unerring magical arrows, Sam is learning archery, Sam will try to learn about magic and the supernatural in order to understand and fight the Others, Sam has a bond to the Old Gods thanks to his vows, and there is an ancient Godswood in Oldtown...

He will have the longships sail up the Mander a little, and then carry the longships overland, like Vikings did in the real world, to the waters of the Honeywine river.

I doubt they ever carried their ships that far over overland, if you look at the map it's a large distance between the Honeywine and the Mander, plus there's a castle along the way (Honeyholt).

Over short distances it can be a viable technique but we're not talking rowing boats here but warships, it would be very inefficient to drag them accross land over such long distances.

But other then that I like your theory.

Just two words: weirwood arrows. Weirwood is known to be useful for making unerring magical arrows, Sam is learning archery, Sam will try to learn about magic and the supernatural in order to understand and fight the Others, Sam has a bond to the Old Gods thanks to his vows, and there is an ancient Godswood in Oldtown...

Euron isn't an Other...

Well, dunno about "never missing", but weirwood bows are credited with long range. And Daemon wasn't Other either and it worked on him ;)

While probably the funniest would be if Oldtown relif came from the Crown, via army led by Tarly the elder... And he would arrive just as Tarly the younger mounts Euron's head on spike ;)

I think Connington has better sense than that. He would be winning one of richest and most powerful bannermen of the Tyrells away from them if he defends Oldtown from the Ironborn, and Euron wants to be king of Westeros conflicts with Aegon. He could possibly also win the Redwynes and other lords of the Reach.

The only issue is, Connington has battles to win over in the Stormlands. The Ironborn attack on Oldtown, whether it goes as OP puts it or otherwise, is imminent. Connington's main fish to fry is Storm's End. He can't cover the distance between Oldtown and Storm's End in time to lift an Ironborn siege.

The Ironborn Reach campaign is probably gonna get sorted out by Willas Tyrell and the Hightowers, or the Crow's Eye wins and captures the Citadel and significantly increases his magic powers. Remember, this guy's supposed to be Dany's Big Bad. He can't be that with just the Ironborn.

Thoughts?

It just seems so....easy. I suppose I expect someone like Euron to have a better plan than that. Maybe that's the thing - he's built up to be this fearsome and intelligent leader when he's just as power-blind as anyone else?

I'm curious about other parts Sam could play. Being a warrior who brings down a king would really slap his father in the face, but negotiating a marriage alliance while training to be a maester would go further. There's speculation that Randyll Tarly is ripe to switch his allegiance, especially to an alleged Targaryen. Sam's sister is unwed and unbetrothed. What do you think about Sam suggesting this?

The only issue is, Connington has battles to win over in the Stormlands. The Ironborn attack on Oldtown, whether it goes as OP puts it or otherwise, is imminent. Connington's main fish to fry is Storm's End. He can't cover the distance between Oldtown and Storm's End in time to lift an Ironborn siege.

Storm's End isn't really all that big a fish to fry. It's been under siege by Mace for quite a while. Mace has now returned to KL. Those inside Storm's End are likely pretty hungry and they aren't commanded by someone like Stannis so enticing them to kneel to Aegon wouldn't be all that difficult, I presume. KL hasn't been all that concerned about Storm's End anyway.

I doubt they ever carried their ships that far over overland, if you look at the map it's a large distance between the Honeywine and the Mander, plus there's a castle along the way (Honeyholt).

Over short distances it can be a viable technique but we're not talking rowing boats here but warships, it would be very inefficient to drag them accross land over such long distances.

But other then that I like your theory.

I can see your point about the Mander, but Vikings would carry their ships overland to rivers or seas as longships were light enough to be carried over land. I am pointing to longships only. That can be possible with an army.

Old town has never fallen in over 8000 years - it is expecting an attack and building up defences. From what I've heard of the place, Oldtown has no lack of men or money and is already building/hiring more ships, the redwyne fleet is on it's way as well so Euron doesn't have a lot of time and neither does he have the heart of his fleet( the iron fleet went with Victarion). It will take a miracle for Oldtown to fall.

A better option for Euron might be to sail up the Mander and take HighGarden - which has a lot less manpower and is probably lightly held right now considering all the men Mace took with him to KL.

Old town has never fallen in over 8000 years - it is expecting an attack and building up defences. From what I've heard of the place, Oldtown has no lack of men or money and is already building/hiring more ships, the redwyne fleet is on it's way as well so Euron doesn't have a lot of time and neither does he have the heart of his fleet( the iron fleet went with Victarion). It will take a miracle for Oldtown to fall.

A better option for Euron might be to sail up the Mander and take HighGarden - which has a lot less manpower and is probably lightly held right now considering all the men Mace took with him to KL.

Garlan and Willas Tyrell have been raising defenses along the Mander as revealed in AFfC. I wasn't suggesting Oldtown falling, I said it would be attacked not fall. Euron knows they're expecting an attack from the Whispering Sound, if he attacks from the Honeywine silently he can catch Oldtown offguard like Hannibal attacking Rome from the Alps when the Romans were fortifying their coasts expect an attack from the sea.

Archived