Euron's attack on Oldtown

Fire Eater

It just seems so....easy. I suppose I expect someone like Euron to have a better plan than that. Maybe that's the thing - he's built up to be this fearsome and intelligent leader when he's just as power-blind as anyone else?

I'm curious about other parts Sam could play. Being a warrior who brings down a king would really slap his father in the face, but negotiating a marriage alliance while training to be a maester would go further. There's speculation that Randyll Tarly is ripe to switch his allegiance, especially to an alleged Targaryen. Sam's sister is unwed and unbetrothed. What do you think about Sam suggesting this?

Storm's End isn't really all that big a fish to fry. It's been under siege by Mace for quite a while. Mace has now returned to KL. Those inside Storm's End are likely pretty hungry and they aren't commanded by someone like Stannis so enticing them to kneel to Aegon wouldn't be all that difficult, I presume. KL hasn't been all that concerned about Storm's End anyway.

I agree that Storm's End will be easy for Connington to take over and once he does this, he will intend to keep it and try and get different Stormlords to declare for him and eventually KL will get word of this Targaryen who wishes to sit the Iron Throne. They will send a large host to take back Storm's end from Aegon and since Connington wishes to keep it, I don't think he will abandon it so easily however if Dorne swears allegiance to Aegon, they could perhaps help out in Oldtown if it comes under Siege or just help out Aegon in the Stormlands.

I do think that it is quite likely that Aegon will turn to the Hightowers for supports, helping them defend Oldtown would indeed be a way of making that quest easier. I do hovewer also think that Euron is not what he makes himself out to be and that while the Ironborn probably will be destroyed at Oldtown Euron would flee before risking death on the battlefield. Hopefully Sam continues with his training and that he can become a decent archer, if no Ulmer.

How many ships does the guy have though? He send almost 100 to Slaver's bay, and I reckon at least 50 must've stayed behind to defend the Iron Islands.

Between 300 and 900 longships, not to be confuse with the 100 warships of the Iron Fleet. Those are three times bigger. Maybe Eurons Silence, Balons Great Kraken and a few other ships belonging to great Lords are the same size, but the bulk of his remaining forces consists of longships. Somewhere between 10,000 and 25,000 men, most of them part-time soldiers.

Storm's End isn't really all that big a fish to fry. It's been under siege by Mace for quite a while. Mace has now returned to KL. Those inside Storm's End are likely pretty hungry and they aren't commanded by someone like Stannis so enticing them to kneel to Aegon wouldn't be all that difficult, I presume. KL hasn't been all that concerned about Storm's End anyway.

I proposed a means by which Connington would take Storm's End in a different thread. He mentions taking it by guile, so I'm of the opinion that the Golden Company will pretend to have been hired by Stannis, disperse the Tyrell token force around Storm's End and enter the castle, slaughtering or capturing the defenders.

However, turning southwest to Oldtown is not part of Connington's plans. He means to use Storm's End as a base of operations against the Iron Throne. That means consolidating his power in the Stormlands. Remember that he also holds Greenshield, Tarth, Crow's Nest and Griffin's Roost. That's a lot of consolidation to do.

In fact, I presume that the influence the Golden Company could have on the Ironborn campaign in the Reach is indirect, by delaying or even capturing Paxter Redwyne's fleet as it sails near Tarth/Estermont.

Now regarding Sam... we're gonna need an Oldtown POV, and a POV near Euron. Asha, Victarion and Aeron are nowhere near Euron. It is entirely possible that Sam gets captured by Euron.

I hate coming late to posts

I do not believe Sam will 'fight' in the inevitable battle between the Ironborn and Oldtown. He will have a role, but he isnt going to do any fighting. Thats not his role.

Euron Greyjoy has big plans ahead and it is his destiny to fight Victarion, not to lose in the Oldtown skirmish.

I do believe the Hightowers will go to the side of Aegon, but I feel like they would've done that even if Aegon doesnt go to their rescue. By they time that happens, Dany maybe the little of the foreign horde anyway.

I think the Redwyne fleet is already gone past the Stormlands (after landing troops on Dragonstone) when Connington attacks.

In any case, the Golden Company has landed, and the raids in the Mander were already a more pressing concern in naval terms. It may no longer have the Iron Fleet but 800-900 longships are likely going to overmatch what the Redwyne's have coming, even assuming the latter can link up with whatever Oldtown provides. Euron is a clever fellow, I think he has accounted for whatever the Iron Throne can throw at him on the water, or else he would not have sent Victarion away with the elite of his armada.

For all we know, Aurane Waters stealing those new dromonds was Euron's idea, and those ships are going to him.

For all we know, Aurane Waters stealing those new dromonds was Euron's idea, and those ships are going to him.

Given Aurane's well expressed loyalty to Stannis in the second book, before having to bend the knee due to being captured at the blackwater, I think it's safe to say that Aurane is going to Stannis.

Also, I can't see Storm's End falling to Aegon and JonCon, honestly.

If Storm's End falls, in addition to Dragonstone already falling, then Stannis will have no footholds left south of the North. So unless Stannis is destined to lose(iron sword that breaks before bending) in the sixth book, then I can't see him loosing Storm's End. That being said, I can't see why Stannis would've lasted so long in this universe if GRRM was just planning on him losing in the sixth book.

I think Stannis's men at Storm's End will faithfully hold it and will aspire to successfully resisting the siege in the same way Stannis did 17 years beforehand.

Just my theory though.

He expressed loyalty to Stannis, then after the Blackwater, bent his knee to Joffrey. His loyalty may be questionable; he could be utterly mercenary, and still have done all the same things.

Yeah, but if the choice was loyalty and death or pretending to switch sides and life, don't think many people would choose the former.

I always assumed Euron will have learned from Fair Isle. Methinks he knows about the Redwyne fleet and it is entirely possible he has some sort of an ambush ready for them. It could be that he has already secretly captured the Arbor, managing to forestal any word of that and he plans on ambushing the Redwyne fleet in the Redwyne Straits, or in the Arbor's harbor.

Note: Pronounce bolded text with a Boston accent for bonus points.

Given Aurane's well expressed loyalty to Stannis in the second book, before having to bend the knee due to being captured at the blackwater, I think it's safe to say that Aurane is going to Stannis.

I'm not saying that isn't going to happen, but what exactly do we know about Aurane's loyalty? I think he was mentioned but once in ACOK, among a dozen other captains who changed allegiance and swore to Joffrey, and that's it.

Also, I can't see Storm's End falling to Aegon and JonCon, honestly.

If Storm's End falls, in addition to Dragonstone already falling, then Stannis will have no footholds left south of the North. So unless Stannis is destined to lose(iron sword that breaks before bending) in the sixth book, then I can't see him loosing Storm's End. That being said, I can't see why Stannis would've lasted so long in this universe if GRRM was just planning on him losing in the sixth book.

I think Stannis's men at Storm's End will faithfully hold it and will aspire to successfully resisting the siege in the same way Stannis did 17 years beforehand.

Just my theory though.

***Spoilers****

According to the Arianne Martell gift Chapter Aegon and Jon Con have already conquered Storms End with trickery somehow

-Also you hit the nail on the head. Stannis doesn't have a foothold in the South. Its symbolic. For all intents and purposes view Stannis as a Northman from now on. Stannis beheading Theon before a heart tree is literally his Baptism into the faith of the Old Gods(An exaggeration, but you get the point)

AFfC Samwell V

"The Citadel is not what it was," complained the blond. [Lazy Leo speaking to Sam] They will take anything these days. Dusky dogs and Dornishmen, pig boys, cripples, cretins and now a black-clad whale. And here I thought leviathans were gray.

ADwD Davos III

Behind the dais a kraken and a leviathan were locked in battle beneath the painted waves.

Sam will participate in the battle.

Well spotted - nice possible clue there

***Spoilers****

According to the Arianne Martell gift Chapter Aegon and Jon Con have already conquered Storms End with trickery somehow

-Also you hit the nail on the head. Stannis doesn't have a foothold in the South. Its symbolic. For all intents and purposes view Stannis as a Northman from now on. Stannis beheading Theon before a heart tree is literally his Baptism into the faith of the Old Gods(An exaggeration, but you get the point)

Ah, lame. And here I thought I was onto something. Oh well.

Here's what 5 year olds want to see: Dragon vs. Kraken in the Tokyo Oldtown harbor. Make it happen! That's how you end an 8000 year undefeated streak.

Euron should continue to outmaneuver other navies. His whole deal is based on "they're going to be moving this way, so I won't be there--I'll be over here pouncing on something else!" We haven't seen any Sea Magic yet. That'll probably win a battle or ruin a harbor.

I've got a crackpot theory that's been mulling around in my head for a while. This seems as good a thread as any to bring it up. Is it possible that Euron is a long lost Baratheon? He fits the general description (black hair and blue eyes [err eye]), his boasting that he is the first storm and the last storm could be a clue slipped in by George perhaps? Victarion finds out they are not actually related and is able to kill him in good conscience? Maybe Steffon had a bastard kid that ended up in Greyjoy hands?

I've got a crackpot theory that's been mulling around in my head for a while. This seems as good a thread as any to bring it up. Is it possible that Euron is a long lost Baratheon? He fits the general description (black hair and blue eyes [err eye]), his boasting that he is the first storm and the last storm could be a clue slipped in by George perhaps? Victarion finds out they are not actually related and is able to kill him in good conscience? Maybe Steffon had a bastard kid that ended up in Greyjoy hands?

Fuck secret targs and secret starks, secret baratheons are where it's at.

Archived