Euron's attack on Oldtown

Fire Eater

I really like your idea about Connington coming to save the day, but I really do not think Martin would kill off Euron so soon. He is such a creepy character, and it would be a shame if he were to die without creating some real havoc in Westeros

very cool. if this happens sam can be the new kingslayer.

The only way Sam would be a kingslayer is if Euron gave the order to burn every single book and piece of food there was in Oldtown.

Euron is the prime suspect in the theft of the book about dragons. But where did he get the gold to pay the FM with? If the theories about him giving a dragon egg to get a FM to assassinate Balon is true, did he pay for this FM with his other treasures?

See, I think the way the Iron Islands plot is going, Asha and Theon are going to try and render the King's moot invalid, given that Theon, who has a claim, wasn't there. As such, Euron will want a great victory to prove his prowess and show his plan succeeding. I imagine Euron had a plan that isn't just a full attack, as he must know that Oldtown hasn't fallen in a very long time. I do think Euron's path is going to cross with Sam's (why else have them in the same place at the same time?) but I think Euron is fated to be killed by an Iron Islander.

• 2 months later...

Why does n oone give the Ironborn credit for land fighting, Cleftjaw took some place whose name escapes my mind ATM. Asha took Moat Cailin. Plus the fighting on the shores is most certainly NOT all done on boats. They wear full armor for they have no fear of drowning, most seaside places seeing a fleet coming at them are gonna gear up for sea warfare, they will be out armored, and wth some 20k men left for Euron to command, i'm sure he has one of the bigger armies as well. The fact that they mention Oldtown hasn't fallen in like 8000 years means it MUST falll right? If not i got GRRM's style all wrong i spose. Lest us not forget that he has some warlocks, and some other magic about him. He WILL take Oldtown, if that is his plan. Not to mention the knowledge within the Citadel. Sam will be taken prisoner, and not ill treated, but probably used to help with the searching of books and such. Just to wait for The Damphair to return and help him with dispatching Euron. The whole "rusty hinge" thing has be beleivin' that we will have a certain "The Damphair" killing Euron, as his god will tell him it's k, or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice theory. Sam killing Euron with a weirwood arrow makes complete sense to me. Remember the vision Bran sees from the weirwood tree. Probably son of King Torrhen was making 3 weirwood arrows for the 3 dragons of Aegon the Conqueror. These arrows are most likely magical. Once Bran is empowered enough in his Greenseeing abilities, he will tell Sam how to make these arrows in the Godswood of Oldtown. Just like Bloodraven killing Daemon Blackfyre with an arrow in the Battle of the Redgrass Field, Sam will kill Euron and change the tide of the war. After the victory, i expect a confrontation of Sam with Randyll Tarly.

The towers in Mel's vision that she mistakes for Eastwatch maybe are in fact from Oldtown.If Euron takes Sam's horn (the horn of the winter?) the consequences would be very bad for everyone.

Why would Euron want a cracked old horn, especially when he is sacking rich city? I think the towers by the sea is Pyke when BR sends the Hammer of the Waters.

How many ships does the guy have though? He send almost 100 to Slaver's bay, and I reckon at least 50 must've stayed behind to defend the Iron Islands.

900 after the Iron Fleet left. Taking losses into account, probably closer to 800 ironborn longships, and 60 or so trading galleys and longships from the Shields

• 2 months later...

I think I found a clue in the TPatQ to support this theory:

Ormund Hightower found himself caught between two armies. Thaddeus Rowan, the Lord of Goldengrove, and Tom Flowers, the Bastard of Bitterbridge, were bearing down on him from the northeast with a great host of mounted knights, whilst Ser Arlan Beesbury, Lord Alan Tarly, and Lord Owen Costayne had joined their power to cut off his retreat to Oldtown. When their hosts closed around him on the banks of the river Honeywine . . . Defeat seemed imminent . . . a dragon had come. The arrival of Prince Daeron and his dragon reversed the tide of battle. . . . Lord Hightower feasted Daeron on aurochs and strongwine and dubbed him with the storied longsword, Vigilance

I think in this case, things will be inverted a little. When Euron attacks along the Honeywine, the Hightower's bannermen will come arriving alongside Aegon, the dragon who came to aid Lord Hightower. Aegon will bring Lord Randyll Tarly, who defects to Connington and Aegon, along with Lord Mathis Rowan who was captured at SE, and made to bend the knee and pledge fealty to Aegon. Duck will be there as well, who was originally from Bitterbridge. Lord Hightower will knight Aegon as reward, and feast him.

ETA: Daeron's dragon was the Blue Queen while Aegon dyed his hair blue.

If Euron and the Ironborn try to even move past the mouth of the Mander, either to go to Oldtown, the Arbor, or up the river into Highgarden, they'll be obliterated; they don't have the force to do anything more than several raids.

Being inside Highgarden could make Euron's land forces more effective because they'd be fighting from behind protective walls from then on as all the misplaced Roses high-tailed it back "home" to Highgarden to see it flying Euron's freak flag above the battlements. I just like that, sorry. Euron should keep doing the grand and unexpected. He should continue outmaneuvering everyone. Highgarden seems like a target that's ready to fall, to keep pace with how the Roses are about to suffer a massive reversal at KL. Something funky probably goes down at Oldtown, but needn't necessarily end with Euron owning the joint. If the FM thief is his, let the thief theive and that can be the extent of Euron's dealings there having gotten what he wanted. Or would Sam be slated to foil the FM, so Euron gets nada from that sneakthief? Eh, leave the Citadel for Danyrys to mess with.

I think in this case, things will be inverted a little. When Euron attacks along the Honeywine, the Hightower's bannermen will come arriving alongside Aegon, the dragon who came to aid Lord Hightower. Aegon will bring Lord Randyll Tarly, who defects to Connington and Aegon, along with Lord Mathis Rowan who was captured at SE, and made to bend the knee and pledge fealty to Aegon. Duck will be there as well, who was originally from Bitterbridge. Lord Hightower will knight Aegon as reward, and feast him.

Yeah, I agree with this. Seems very likely, I have always thought that Hightower and Tarly would abandon the Tyrells anyway. So them siding with Aegon seems probable imo.

What do we know about Oldtown's defenses? If it's well garrisoned I doubt Euron will go for it without the Iron Fleet.

People need to realize that Euron is just biding his time until he gets his hands on a dragon or two. Then it's game over, he thinks. Taking the Shields was just to reinforce his reputation as a badass leader among the Ironborn and to appease them with a "taste" before they go for the Iron Throne. I think he will content himself with raids and not take any big risks until he has the Iron Fleet, Dany, and/or dragons

The only way Sam would be a kingslayer is if Euron gave the order to burn every single book and piece of food there was in Oldtown.

Euron is the prime suspect in the theft of the book about dragons. But where did he get the gold to pay the FM with? If the theories about him giving a dragon egg to get a FM to assassinate Balon is true, did he pay for this FM with his other treasures?

So many questions. But that's what makes Euron so cool. He's still mostly a mystery, but we know there are big things in store with him. Cersei and the Tyrells dismiss him as a madman and don't take him seriously as a threat, and I imagine Dany won't either - which could spell disaster for all of them.

I really like your idea about Connington coming to save the day, but I really do not think Martin would kill off Euron so soon. He is such a creepy character, and it would be a shame if he were to die without creating some real havoc in Westeros

Yep. I see Euron as at least as important as Aegon. Killing him off at this point, before he gets a dragon or even interacts with any non-Ironborn characters, would be like killing off Roose Bolton in the beginning of ASOS, before the red wedding.

What do we know about Oldtown's defenses? If it's well garrisoned I doubt Euron will go for it without the Iron Fleet.

People need to realize that Euron is just biding his time until he gets his hands on a dragon or two. Then it's game over, he thinks. Taking the Shields was just to reinforce his reputation as a badass leader among the Ironborn and to appease them with a "taste" before they go for the Iron Throne. I think he will content himself with raids and not take any big risks until he has the Iron Fleet, Dany, and/or dragons

Yeah, I doubt he could face the power of the Reach (on land) with only his Ironborn.

I agree. I don't think he expects or wants to hold the Shields or any other part of the Reach for long. Just the fact that he gave some lousy Ironborn lordships of the Shields speaks volumes, since "his gifts are always poisoned". He probably expects the Redwynes will kill those idiots when they return to re-take the Reach.

But I do think he wants to destroy and pillage Oldtown. For one, as Sam thinks, the realm will break to pieces if Oldtown falls. Second, if he plans to join Dany or at least to take her dragons, he might want to kill the guys who killed the dragons the last time, assuming he knows this. And he could also want some kind of MacGuffin in the Citadel.

And I think he has a plan to attack Oldtown, something clever like when he burned the fleet at Lannisport. Maybe Jaquen is working for him, infiltrating the city from within to facilitate the attack. Whatever he does, that will be one bloody battle, I bet

I'm not suggesting him as a badass fighter, but part of his character development. In ASoS, we saw Sam charge and and slay an Other with only an obsidian dagger, and defend Gilly from wights. In AFfC, we see him kick Dareon's ass. He is increasingly finding his courage and inner hero.

He is becoming the striding huntsman in his sigil, who is portrayed with a dagger and bow and arrow. Sam already killed with a dagger, and we will see him kill with a bow.

I like this! There is also in AFfC when Leo Tyrell ask him "Are you still a craven?"

"No" lied Sam. Jon had made it a command. "I went beyond the Wall and fought in battles. They call me Sam the Slayer." He did not know why he said it. The words just tumbled out.

This is Sam who asked his fellows in NW not to call him that. Now Slayer is his name in Oldtown.

Oldtown is expecting an attack from the sea not the river much like the Romans fortified their coasts and ports, expecting an attack from the sea only for Hannibal to arrive through the Alps, Rome's backdoor. Euron wants to take Oldtown, if he was crazy and bold enough to attack the Shields and the Arbor, then I think he will have little inhibitions against taking Oldtown.

I agree. I don't think he expects or wants to hold the Shields or any other part of the Reach for long. Just the fact that he gave some lousy Ironborn lordships of the Shields speaks volumes, since "his gifts are always poisoned". He probably expects the Redwynes will kill those idiots when they return to re-take the Reach.

But I do think he wants to destroy and pillage Oldtown. For one, as Sam thinks, the realm will break to pieces if Oldtown falls. Second, if he plans to join Dany or at least to take her dragons, he might want to kill the guys who killed the dragons the last time, assuming he knows this. And he could also want some kind of MacGuffin in the Citadel.

And I think he has a plan to attack Oldtown, something clever like when he burned the fleet at Lannisport. Maybe Jaquen is working for him, infiltrating the city from within to facilitate the attack. Whatever he does, that will be one bloody battle, I bet

Euron likely doesn't know as even Marwyn tells Sam if he told him the maesters' conspiracy in killing dragons they would have to kill him. The maesters would make sure not to let that info get out as what they did and likely are doing is treason, and it would mean losing their heads if that news got out. Jaqen was in Westeros before the Wo5K, after Euron went to the FM to assassinate Balon.

Euron planned to take one of Dany's dragons, but that plan became undone with Moqorro. Attacking from the Honeywine would be clever since he would likely send a feint up Whispering Sound, and the Hightowers aren't expecting an attack from the river or mainland.

Archived