Euron's attack on Oldtown

Fire Eater

The Greyjoys wouldn't dare attack a city of such size and ability. They've so far picked on minor lords and smaller settlements, they've not wanted a fight with the main Tyrell force so have done well to stay away from them and keep things at sea. To assault Oldtown means to attack one of the richest and most well protected cities in the realm, not to mention that they have an enormous army and will throw the Greyjoys back into the sea.

The Greyjoys wouldn't dare attack a city of such size and ability. They've so far picked on minor lords and smaller settlements, they've not wanted a fight with the main Tyrell force so have done well to stay away from them and keep things at sea. To assault Oldtown means to attack one of the richest and most well protected cities in the realm, not to mention that they have an enormous army and will throw the Greyjoys back into the sea.

Anymore than the Greyjoys would never attack the Reach, the most powerful region in Westeros? If Euron isn't trying to attack the city then why did a few Ironmen attempt to set the port on fire, and open the gate during the distraction?

Anymore than the Greyjoys would never attack the Reach, the most powerful region in Westeros? If Euron isn't trying to attack the city then why did a few Ironmen attempt to set the port on fire, and open the gate during the distraction?

It isn't as if he attacked the strength of the Reach, he attacked the Shield Islands and the places that are convenient and easy for a sea attack. The Greyjoy force isn't built for a real land battle and would lose horribly if they were in one with the Tyrell force. If he really thought he had a chance to take the city then why would he send the better part of his strength to Essos? None of it makes any sense. I personally would love to see him try a direct attack on Oldtown because they would get smashed. The best thing they can hope for is to continue pillaging the coastline.

If he really thought he had a chance to take the city then why would he send the better part of his strength to Essos?

Because he knows he can't take Westeros without the dragons which are in Essos. He will try to take Oldtown through cunning like he did the Shield Islands.

Because he knows he can't take Westeros without the dragons which are in Essos. He will try to take Oldtown through cunning like he did the Shield Islands.

True, I doubt Euron would want to follow in Balon's footsteps. He isnt content with just pillaging and burning along the coastlines, which Balon was wont to do, instead he wants to become more of a power well established in Westeros imo. Perhaps he sees himself as a new Harren the Black, though knowing the devestating effect of dragons. Without the dragons he is toast in the long run, the Ironborn are to alien and different for most to be able to accept them as their new Lords.

True, I doubt Euron would want to follow in Balon's footsteps. He isnt content with just pillaging and burning along the coastlines, which Balon was wont to do, instead he wants to become more of a power well established in Westeros imo. Perhaps he sees himself as a new Harren the Black, though knowing the devestating effect of dragons. Without the dragons he is toast in the long run, the Ironborn are to alien and different for most to be able to accept them as their new Lords.

I see what you're saying, in his view Balon was gathering golden eggs while Euron wants the whole golden goose.

He took those islands mostly throught force, they tried to meet the Greyjoys in battle and lost. But those were poorly suited and equipped places. We're talking about a massitve army who will not meet them at sea. I don't see them having any chance unless like you said the Dragons come.

Interesting theory. Although, after reading through the entire thread, I was dissapointed to find no one mentioned that there's a faceless man just chilling in Old Town, who has a key that we're led to believe has some sort of importance. Also, it's been hinted at that Euron used a faceless man to kill Balon. Could Jaqen H'gar be that same faceless man, now serving Euron as a way to help him slip into the city (via that key)? Or could Jaqen simply be there as a plot device to stop Euron, because lets face it: If ANYONE is going to kill Euron IF he decides to invade Oldtown, it's Jaqen.

Interesting theory. Although, after reading through the entire thread, I was dissapointed to find no one mentioned that there's a faceless man just chilling in Old Town, who has a key that we're led to believe has some sort of importance. Also, it's been hinted at that Euron used a faceless man to kill Balon. Could Jaqen H'gar be that same faceless man, now serving Euron as a way to help him slip into the city (via that key)? Or could Jaqen simply be there as a plot device to stop Euron, because lets face it: If ANYONE is going to kill Euron IF he decides to invade Oldtown, it's Jaqen.

The key isn't a key to the city, but opens every door in the Citadel even to the vaults of rare and possibly, secretive, books. I don't think Jaqen would kill Euron, but rather take advantage of the chaos caused by Euron's attack, and use it to sneak down into the vaults to get whatever he is after.

Coming to think about it, this does make some sense. It would possibly explain why Euron bypassed the Westerlands and raided The Reach. He can use The Reach as a staging point and still retreat back to the water if need be, problem is he needs to subdue Oldtown and Aegon's banners are flying across the way at Storms End. It seems as though he has already been working to gain allies in The Reach as well. A crazy thing could happen where they scrap the parlay with a certain princess and instead go to Oldtown to fight Euron and gain the support of The Reach. Which is better Dorne or The Reach?

Coming to think about it, this does make some sense. It would possibly explain why Euron bypassed the Westerlands and raided The Reach. He can use The Reach as a staging point and still retreat back to the water if need be, problem is he needs to subdue Oldtown and Aegon's banners are flying across the way at Storms End. It seems as though he has already been working to gain allies in The Reach as well. A crazy thing could happen where they scrap the parlay with a certain princess and instead go to Oldtown to fight Euron and gain the support of The Reach. Which is better Dorne or The Reach?

Why not both? Faegon and Connington get the support of Arianne and House Martell, then march to the aid of Oldtown with the Golden Company, Stormlords and Dornish spears. They may have also won House Tarly's support by then after a skirmish in the Rainwood involving elephants (where Randyll may switch sides to them). They then repel Euron's attack, and get the support of House Hightower and House Redwyne.

Now, they march on King's Landing and Highgarden.

The gates of the Citadel were flanked by a pair of towering green sphinxes with the bodies of lions, the wings of eagles and the tails of serpents.

The Celtic griffin had the body of a lion and the wings of an eagle, and in some other cases, the tail of a serpent. This foreshadows Connington coming to Oldtown. He will be Oldtown's savior in that battle.

They all gave Sam curious looks as he strode past, his black cloak billowing behind him like a sail.

Euron's ship, the Silence, has black sails; foreshadowing his attack on Oldtown.

ETA: Added to OP

if i had to make a bet, i think euron is being cunning as ever. lure the only fleet of any meaning in striking distance by threathening major towns n castle's, crush and claim the fleet send, and live in safety. unless all pirates suddenly band together against him he's untouchable on the sea and can do pretty much anything he wishes, wetehr taht is pillaging the reach, attacking the westerands or taking KL from the sea.

as far as im concerned, oldtown is jsut a diversion or will be taken in another cunnign move. maybe he intends to claim the fleet, sail into oldtown with it being all victorious and with ironborn prisoners who then proceed to take the city from within. or he sends(or already has) lone agents infiltrating the citadel and is just going to pick some stuff up. heck, he could even be secretly alligned to varys and illiriyo and take oldtown in a joint attack from the sea and land.

I would really dislike it if Sam suddenly became this badass fighter because that would be an insult to his character. I think he will definitely have a role to play in the upcoming battle but I truly can't see it as some top notch ranger killing the Crow's Eye. It's interesting as a theory, but I hope it doesn't happen.

I also think Euron has so much more of a role to play than just popping up, hinting he's some evil magical creature, and then losing the first real battle we see him in, and getting slayed by Sam...I would not like that at all.

I would really dislike it if Sam suddenly became this badass fighter because that would be an insult to his character. I think he will definitely have a role to play in the upcoming battle but I truly can't see it as some top notch ranger killing the Crow's Eye. It's interesting as a theory, but I hope it doesn't happen.

I'm not suggesting him as a badass fighter, but part of his character development. In ASoS, we saw Sam charge and and slay an Other with only an obsidian dagger, and defend Gilly from wights. In AFfC, we see him kick Dareon's ass. He is increasingly finding his courage and inner hero.

He is becoming the striding huntsman in his sigil, who is portrayed with a dagger and bow and arrow. Sam already killed with a dagger, and we will see him kill with a bow.

I'm not suggesting him as a badass fighter, but part of his character development. In ASoS, we saw Sam charge and and slay an Other with only an obsidian dagger, and defend Gilly from wights. In AFfC, we see him kick Dareon's ass. He is increasingly finding his courage and inner hero.

He is becoming the the striding huntsman in his sigil, who is portrayed with a dagger and bow and arrow. Sam already killed with a dagger, and we will see him kill with a bow.

Nice catch on the sigil thing, but honestly, Sam killing left and right is about as 'realistic' as a 9-years-old girl with the weight of a wet rat killing grown men left and right.

Sam is Slaying because he's the author's avatar. Stronger men then him have died throughout the series but you can bet that Sam will indeed keep on killing like no tomorrow. It's a deus ex mechanica really. Not that I mind though.

Regarding Euron's attack, I'm gonna recycle the plan I cooked up in the Where Do Boats Go thread (I should have that thing bookmarked). It's what I'd do in his place:

Exactly. I've been considering the possibility that Euron has some trick up his sleeve to defeat the Redwyne fleet, given that he can't win in conventional combat. Taking the Arbor is essential to this. Here's how I'd do it in his case:

1. Take the Arbor. This is gonna be tough, but it can be done. Also, make sure no word of this reaches the mainland.

2. Leave a token force in the Redwyne Straits, in a mock blockade of the Arbor.

3. Forge a letter from the castellan to Lord Paxter requesting relief.

4. Sacrifice the mock blockaders in the straits.

5. Allow the Redwyne fleet to drop anchor at the Arbor.

6. Ambush them on the ground, seize their fleet, seize the Arbor and turn it into an Ironborn base.

7. Move on Oldtown, send longships up the Mander, carry some of the longships on land to the Honeywine and have them sail down the Honeywine to Oldtown.

8. Move bigger ships (captured from Redwyne) up the Whispering Sound.

9. Surround Oldtown in a pincer movement.

10. Wait for reinforcements to arrive from Highgarden.

11. While Highgarden troops are marching on Oldtown, sail up the Mander with remaining longships and seize Highgarden when it is undermanned.

12. Use confusion and guerilla tactics to bleed Highgarden/Oldtown troops and keep them off balance.

13. When Highgarden troops turn back to Highgarden, seize Oldtown. Use maesters' knowledge to augment own magic powers (Euron already has mages).

14. Trap Highgarden forces under walls of Highgarden, destroy them.

This plan utilizes Ironborn mobility and ability to wage asymmetric warfare. Euron has shown himself to be a master asymmetric tactician in the battles of Lannisport (Greyjoy rebellion) and Shield Islands.

Alternately, he can use false info to lull Oldtown and Highgarden into a false sense of security, possibly by forging letters from Lord Redwyne that the Ironborn have been dispersed.

I believe Euron will not go away any time soon, given that Moqorro's vision of a tentacled, red-eyed monster being the Big Bad in Daenarys' storyline. He gotta be big in order to be a Big Bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice catch on the sigil thing, but honestly, Sam killing left and right is about as 'realistic' as a 9-years-old girl with the weight of a wet rat killing grown men left and right.

You mean like Arya, who is descrbed as the size of a wet rat?

Archived