Horned Helmets

Loslathdos

The armor most likely boosts morale because it resembles the house sigil. Also, the one with the most elaborate armor is obviously the lord and the most wealthy. This was important to display because Lords and highborn were taken for ransom during battle, while the lowborn were often killed...battles got messy and disorganized and you wouldn't want the wrong person to get killed.

I also agree that the animal and horned helms are used to incite fear.

The armor most likely boosts morale because it resembles the house sigil. Also, the one with the most elaborate armor is obviously the lord and the most wealthy. This was important to display because Lords and highborn were taken for ransom during battle, while the lowborn were often killed...battles got messy and disorganized and you wouldn't want the wrong person to get killed.

I also agree that the animal and horned helms are used to incite fear.

I never said anything about the armor =P

The fear doesn't outweigh the disadvantages IMO, besides its war, seeing a horn on a helmet isn't going to make you that scared =P, I think the thousands of soldiers with swords and horses, as well as the stench etc will

I never said anything about the armor =P

The fear doesn't outweigh the disadvantages IMO, besides its war, seeing a horn on a helmet isn't going to make you that scared =P, I think the thousands of soldiers with swords and horses, as well as the stench etc will

He makes a good point. Someone who could afford a horned helmet, would be a good ransom.

Didn't tyrion have a spike on his helmet?

Yup and he killed a horse with it I believe...

Also theres a small part in Dunk and Egg, in the Hedge Knight where Dunk gets his armor and its described as plain, but how practical it is in a fight in comparison to all the bells and whistles of others.

• 2 months later...

The knights will often wear excessively gaudy helmets and armor to tourneys and stuff because they dont really have to protect themselves. But in real battles they would probably wear more utilitarian garb.

Archived