Horned Helmets

Loslathdos

i just started "A Clash of Kings" and something has been bothering me since the first book. I learned somewhere that the vikings didn't have helmets because it was just a horrible idea (

) . It's bad because you can just knock it off easily, or if strapped on, can be used to pull their entire body around, as anyone who's worn a football helmet can tell you if they've been pulled by the facemask.

The video in the link explains it pretty well, and it's just been bothering me that everyone and their brother has horned helmets. /Rant

The is a lot of crazy stuff like that in the books, not just armour but castles, clothing, etc,. Martin has a very vivid imagination when it comes to display and scale and he puts it all into these books because he was tired of having to cut it out for TV shows. If that stuff bothers you, prepare for a lot of botherment.

I feel like alot of the ornamental attire especially with battle armor is just a subtle way of GRRM giving us ideas of how strong vanity and one's self image play into the conflicts of ASOIAF. I think i even remember Ned thinking to himself during a conversation with Tobho Mott in GoT that he didn't have any desire or need for ornament on his plate or armor, so alot of things like Renly's antlered helm or Jaime's gilded armor is more self-serving than practical

I feel like alot of the ornamental attire especially with battle armor is just a subtle way of GRRM giving us ideas of how strong vanity and one's self image play into the conflicts of ASOIAF. I think i even remember Ned thinking to himself during a conversation with Tobho Mott in GoT that he didn't have any desire or need for ornament on his plate or armor, so alot of things like Renly's antlered helm or Jaime's gilded armor is more self-serving than practical

Even the son of Robert had a horned helmet,and that 'master' blacksmith was bragging about making helmets like that, which indicates in more narcissitic people weren't the only one doing it. I think agree with Horza, martin probably just thought it would be cool,and while the fancy gilded armor could still work, Antlers on helmets wouldn't be worn by someone who actually fought in wars (Late King Robert)

• 5 weeks later...

If you notice how easily Renly's antlers broke off during the Hand's Tournament they wouldn't really hinder him in combat, a falling axe or sword would just break the antler clean off.

That being said this is a fantasy work, it's more there for the badass imagery than the practical usage.

• 4 weeks later...

That being said this is a fantasy work, it's more there for the badass imagery than the practical usage.

Yes, the armor looks cool :) I enjoy this aspect of the book because it gives it diversity and allows my own imagination to go wild. GRRM *could* describe every character, knight and his uncle wearing a plain steel helm, plain steel breastplate, plain brown cloak etc. what would the fun be in that?

Yes, the armor looks cool :) I enjoy this aspect of the book because it gives it diversity and allows my own imagination to go wild. GRRM *could* describe every character, knight and his uncle wearing a plain steel helm, plain steel breastplate, plain brown cloak etc. what would the fun be in that?

No where did I say they should wear plain armor, renlys green armor, or Jaimes gilded armor are fine.

Or instead of horns they could have had this

650980_display_image.jpg?1302750186

or

eagles.jpg

Another problem with horns/wings etc. is that they can "guide" sword or axe into the helmet.

However a lot of old military attire, while being "harmful" in modern view or in practical terms, had a purpose - hence say bright uniforms and huge banners, giving away positions, but also serving to recognize friend from foe and navigate the battlefield. Same way very distinctive officer's or commander's clothes would mark him as a target and even may pose risk in combat, but they would also mark him as someone worth listening to in the confusion of battle. Of course nowadays there is no need for it and officer's insignia started to ge less vidible with arrival of precision weapons ;)

It's kinda the same as officer's horses - they were not only "snobbery", but mounted officer was also able to see over the ranks and command - even if "man on a horse = target".

They made the person more scary too. Imagine a fully armoured knight charging straight at you, with two massive horns coming out his helmet. but yeah, they are pretty pointless, they just break, and get grabbed, and act a slide for someones blade right to hour helmet.

To be fair, I think some characters do comment on the impracticality of these helmets at some point and we mostly see them used in Tourney's and such.

Didn't tyrion have a spike on his helmet?

The spiked helm is to show Tyrion's loyalties ultimately lie with Kaiser Wilhelm and Germany.

And now he is likely to join force which has thousands of soldiers with spiked helmets...hmm... Does Unsullied marching band play Preussens gloria as they head to battlefield?

Archived