MLB 2013: You Are Not A Hall Of Famer Edition

Mack Kilimaro

Last thread:

My mind is still blown that Jaxom doesn't think either Mussina or Schilling is a no-doubt Hall of Famer. 15th all-time pitcher in strikeouts doesn't do it for you, Jax? The guy averaged a little over 7 innings pitched per start from 1995-2004, time in which he never had an ERA over 4 despite exploding offense in the game. That is one heck of a career peak.

• 2 weeks later...

Last thread:

My mind is still blown that Jaxom doesn't think either Mussina or Schilling is a no-doubt Hall of Famer. 15th all-time pitcher in strikeouts doesn't do it for you, Jax? The guy averaged a little over 7 innings pitched per start from 1995-2004, time in which he never had an ERA over 4 despite exploding offense in the game. That is one heck of a career peak.

For me, Mussina is enough of an enigma due to my preference for the NL versus AL...my thoughts on him are relegated to what I read and it seems pretty split on him. I admit he likely goes in, I'm just not convinced its on the first ballot...

For Schilling, for me, personality enters into it somewhat, I admit. Despite the strikeouts, his career numbers play out as being borderline at best, though, as was pointed out in the last thread, using more advanced metrics, he will prove to be an interesting case. I look forward to seeing what happens there.

And RIP Stan the Man. Cardinal though he was, he's absolutely a player I wish I'd gotten to see play live...

I did listen to most of that. Not bad at all.

This list is posted on the St. Louis site, but it's not their list, and it has Oscar Taveras as the top OF prospect ahead of Wil Myers of KC to Tampa fame. Nice.

I thought there would be discussion on the news out of Miami.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/report-links-nats-gonzalez-to-miami-ped-clinic-a-rod-cabrera-also-named/2013/01/29/268bf516-6a3a-11e2-af53-7b2b2a7510a8_story.html

On my phone so it is a mobile link. I hope Gio and his dad are telling the truth but who knows.

I thought there would be discussion on the news out of Miami.

http://m.washingtonp...10a8_story.html

On my phone so it is a mobile link. I hope Gio and his dad are telling the truth but who knows.

It sounds pretty bad for Gio for no reason other than A-Rod's name is attached to it.

A-Rod is going to go down as one of the bigger villains in recent sports memory, I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like King Felix will waste an additional five years playing for that backwater franchise up in Washington.

Biggest contract ever for a pitcher apparently. I am slightly happy just to see that Seattle can keep a big player like that.

Keith Law w/ ESPN just rated St. Louis as the #1 farm system in MLB.

I'm not really too sad about Carpenter. It would have been cool if he could still have contributed, but how he pitched in the WS run two years ago was more than enough for a legacy.

Biggest contract ever for a pitcher apparently. I am slightly happy just to see that Seattle can keep a big player like that.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. It's a 5 yr extension worth $135 million, which is not the biggest contract for a pitcher. But add the 2 remaining years on his current contract and it becomes 7 yrs at $175 million, which is. Either way it gonna make Clayton Kershaw a very rich man.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. It's a 5 yr extension worth $135 million, which is not the biggest contract for a pitcher. But add the 2 remaining years on his current contract and it becomes 7 yrs at $175 million, which is. Either way it gonna make Clayton Kershaw a very rich man.

Ah, thanks for clarifying that. A friend told me about the deal; I didn't read about it myself. They made it sound like it was a new 7 year, $175 million deal.

Still nice and monstrous.

And yeah, I expect the Dodgers will pay up for Kershaw. They've shown every indication that they're ready to spend to win.

Yet again Miami proves itself to be the shittiest sports fans in all of North America.

You cannot put this on the fans. How much bullshit from management are they supposed to put up with? Applaud them for telling Jeffery Loria and the Marlins to go fuck themselves by refusing to show up. Even if it's somehow some sort of Miami apathy, it's still brilliant to see.

I think the Giants' was today... It's a bit sad/scary how much I look forward to this week every year.

i like opening day a lot.

in dc i have noticed that people from all kinds of markets are on the trains, on the streets sporting the caps and jerseys of their chosen teams. it is that day where everyone has a chance. it is magical. i look forward to riding the train to work that morning in my orel hersisher jersey and dodger cap.

i am really excited for this season. the dodgers look like they are loaded for bear!

this is the year i have waited for since 1988.

go blue!

Marlins ticket line. I guess Miami can take solace in having the Heat.

Yet again Miami proves itself to be the shittiest sports fans in all of North America.

Those poor folk in Miami don't deserve their baseball team. Their owner completely killed the team, I wouldn't want to go watch them, either.

But HP has a point - do you see that guy wearing high black socks, shorts, and sandals? Wtf?

Archived