Theories you simply don't believe

mitch176

I don't believe:

1. That Lemore is Ashara.

2. That Darkstar is anyone other than Gerold Dayne.

3. That Tyrion is a Targaryen.

4. That Aegon is real.

5. That Coldhands is Benjen.

People are within their right to disblieve R+L=J, just as I'm in my right to use that judgment against them when it comes to evaluating the merits of their other arguments. :)

I second all of these except the last. Still not sure about Benjen and Coldhands. I would prefer it if Benjen were not Coldhands, though. Starks deserve better than undeath.

Others I don't buy are:

Oberyn poisoned Tywin.

Syrio = Jaqen.

Cersei and/or Jaime are the spawn of Aerys.

i agree with all of this but I don't know about benjen.......

I don't believe in any secret Targs, other than Jon Snow, about whom the jury's out. Especially Mance Rayder. I mean, what.

I don't believe that any of the Targs we've been shown are anything other than what they seem to be.

I don't believe any of the Greyjoys are in any way interesting or relevant to anything (with the exception of Theon).

I don't believe in Jojen Paste.

I don't believe, nor do I want to believe in A + J =T. That would undermine the relationship between Tyrion and Tywin, in my opinion. I really hope it's not true.

Also, Tysha being the Sailor's wife.

Agree on all counts. I desperately hope that Tysha never appears in this or any other fashion. In fact, I'd be very content if she were never mentioned again.

Agree on all counts. I desperately hope that Tysha never appears in this or any other fashion. In fact, I'd be very content if she were never mentioned again.

I would be so pissed off if she was alive and Tyrion found her. Part of the tragedy of his arc is that the one woman who truly loved him is gone forever, and he's never ever going to find her, no matter how hard he looks. I find it a bit hard to believe that Tywin would have even let her live after he had her raped.

Oh, and I don't believe that the Kingsguard at the ToJ were following some weird vow they made to Rhaegar.

Shaw: Can you explain why the King's Guard chose to stand and fight Ned at the Tower of the Joy instead of protecting the remaining royal family members?

Martin: The King's Guards don't get to make up their own orders. They serve the king, they protect the king and the royal family, but they're also bound to obey their orders, and if Prince Rhaegar gave them a certain order, they would do that. They can't say, "No we don't like that order, we'll do something else."

Martin's pretty clear in addressing this as a questions about orders. Not their vows, as such, except insofar that those vows make them obey orders given to them by royal personages. But his answer is, look, they can't make up their orders, they have to obey the orders they're given, and if Rhaegar gave them such an order, they'd feel bound by it. And since he addresses it as a question about orders and how they respond to them, clearly, there is an order involved.

I don't believe:

1. That Lemore is Ashara.

2. That Darkstar is anyone other than Gerold Dayne.

3. That Tyrion is a Targaryen.

4. That Aegon is real.

5. That Coldhands is Benjen.

Word!

I don't believe -

that Aegon is a Targaryen

that Syrio is alive

that Benjen is Coldhands

that Dany or Stannis will be Azor Ahai, or the PtwP

that Gerion Lannister is the Corsair King

that Doran is a paedophile

that BloodRaven is the Great Other, or his servant

that we will see Tysha

Agree with all of the above and I don't believe Varys was ever a Targ supporter!

Martin's pretty clear in addressing this as a questions about orders. Not their vows, as such, except insofar that those vows make them obey orders given to them by royal personages. But his answer is, look, they can't make up their orders, they have to obey the orders they're given, and if Rhaegar gave them such an order, they'd feel bound by it. And since he addresses it as a question about orders and how they respond to them, clearly, there is an order involved.

I think though that it's two separate instances: Rhaegar's orders might be why they were there to begin with — he ordered them to stay with Lyanna — which feeds into the quote. However, something else would have to explain why they were still there when Ned found them: They knew Rhaegar, Aerys and Aegon were dead and Viserys should have been the king. But they weren't with Viserys and more than that, showed no interest whatsoever in him or going to him, even when Ned made a direct remark about it.

I don't believe that Syrio is Jaqen. I also don't believe that Aegon is a fake.

I do believe that Coldhands will end up being Benjen, which I kind of like.

Edit: Just read up on the "Jojen paste" theory... grasping for straws comes to mind.

I think though that it's two separate instances: Rhaegar's orders might be why they were there to begin with — he ordered them to stay with Lyanna — which feeds into the quote. However, something else would have to explain why they were still there when Ned found them: They knew Rhaegar, Aerys and Aegon were dead and Viserys should have been the king. But they weren't with Viserys and more than that, showed no interest whatsoever in him or going to him, even when Ned made a direct remark about it.

But Martin's answering the question "Why did they choose to fight?" and not "Why were they there?" And his answer clearly puts him in mind of orders, not vows.

Archived