Beyond the LoIaF maps

I really don't see how seeing a randomly drawn coastline with some weird names written on it could have any kind of interest. It's clear that GRRM has imagined Asshai and the Shadow as the "Far East" and has not bothered to think what's further. Even those lands are just only sketched as a "hic sunt dracones" equivalent.

that

It bugs me that we didn't get all of Essos in the Lands book. I find it hard to believe that with Asshai being a well known city, that nobody would've charted just a little further up the coast. If it extends much further east then it would be the most suspiciously long and rectangular naturally occurring thing EVER, so the end can't be far. I can completely understand Sothoryos and Ulthos, given the rumours of disease and what not (though you'd think the Jade Sea would be completely charted, coasts of aforementioned continents an all). But just zoom out ever so slightly and give us an east coast to Essos? Is that too much to ask?

Ha, do you really think Asshai is even close to the edge of Essos?

• 1 year later...

I hope we would see and hear more of Asashi and the rest of the eastern lands and the mysterious stuff going on there..

The thing that im most intrigued about is the land of always winter, i would like to see more of its nature and features and of course what is inhabited there...

I realy like the adaptation Hbo made of it..(season 4 episode 4 ending- the other getting deeper into the land with the baby) it was so fantasy like enviroment and eveything was dark and there was a mysterious green light in the sky..

Well, it is supposed to be a tropical environment, isn't it? If the real world serves as a model, both the climate and the diseases there should be tough to handle for people who are not accustomed to it.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I'm a lot more interested in a potential complete map of Westeros, one with all major castles and locations. That was my biggest disappointment with LOIAF. Where's Raventree Hall? Willow Wood? Castamere? If that isn't in TWOIAF, I'll call it a ripoff. It'd cost them much less than artwork and take just a few pages to make one for each region. Doesn't even have to be coloured.

The trouble with the maps as shown is that there's never any real indication of the curve of the planet they are on, for all we know you could sail west from the Iron Islands and land in Assai after a week's sailing. Or there could be a whole other continent hiding out there.

Archived