Ripper Street- a Spook and a Sellsword

Darth Visenya

Looked like some kind of lobotomy (3 or 4 decades too early), presumably to wipe her memory or something. At first, I assumed he was going for electrotherapy which might be an actual treatment for epilepsy (although I'm not sure if the equipment back then would actually do any good).

No discussion on last week's ep yet? I quite enjoyed it, though my telly kept fucking up so I feel like I may have missed something. What was the doctor trying to do to Lucy, and why? I'm also confused as to how her hair colour changed :laugh:

Don't worry, the hair colour threw me too, I didn't think last weeks episode was quite as strong,still very watchable though.

I also didn't know the Underground had electric lines in the 1800s?, I thought they were still steam trains hence the need for vents and the fake houses that disguised the lines like the ones that remain in Leinster Gardens.

yeah, the shrink was going for an old-style lobotomy.

The series is set in 1889, and the London underground switched to electric lines around that time (wiki says 1890, so lines would certainly have been being laid 1889). Brain surgery has been being done since pre-history, though using trepanning, rather than tapping (I think that's what it was called), as far as I'm aware, tapping a spike through the nose is certainly in character for the time, though it would hardly be called a lobotomy, as it's so untargetted. IIRC, "modern" brain surgery is credited to the mid 1880s with the advances in anaesthetics and antiseptics (removing a brain tumour IIRC). As others though, I'd assumed it was going to be electrocution, which was used quite heavily at the time, before we saw the spike and hammer.

Hair colour threw me - put it down to hair die, trying for a new life

That's really interesting about the Underground being powered by electricity that early, I didn't know that at all.

I thought electric lighting etc was very rare too in the late 1800s and a preserve of the rich and became much more common after the start of the 20th Century?.

I watched it last night, and the second we saw where they were cornering him, we both knew how he'd die. Seriously would it kill them to actually bring a criminal to justice?

I'm liking the main more and more, and up until this moment didn't realise he's based on the real guy. Haven't really looked yet so no idea how deep the parallels go. Particularly liked knocking the hat off the journalist, and the angrier side to him.

Have to admit can't really bring myself to care for the Madam woman, but I like the American guy.

It starts on bbc america soon so americans can watch it there.

This was actually a joint production between BBCA and the regular BBC. So ya, we can get it. I think they are trying to start their own programming here in the states. Dr. Who has been extremely popular over here (although i have no fucking clue why), and has brought them some attention, I think they are trying to capitalize on it.

I didn't even realise BBCAmerica existed. It's names a bit weird though, British Broadcasting Corporation America. Even if you insert an of, the name contains a contradiction.

Well, your name does state you are confused... so I'll cut you some slack and not make fun of your post.

I didn't even realise BBCAmerica existed. It's names a bit weird though, British Broadcasting Corporation America. Even if you insert an of, the name contains a contradiction.

I only recently discovered that it was a separate entity. I'd heard of it before, and thought it was just a branch of the BBC to show their programmes themselves over the pond; but not, apparently it's an entirely self-contained entity, showing mostly British TV (from all 4 terrestrial broadcasters) - and even then, far from all of them, where they prefer to remake things (generally worse)

Nah, just powerful denial re: American independence.

Watched the second episode... Was it coincidence that whathisname the Pinkerton had his ring stolen by the same guy they were seeking? Are they going to use coincidence every episode? It seemed like coincidence in the first episode too with the photographer, though I suppose him hanging around where the woman's body was dropped and getting sucked into working for the investigation might have been his intention.

What is different about BBC America? BBC Canada, BBC Wales or any of 100 of parts of the machine?

Well, your name does state you are confused... so I'll cut you some slack and not make fun of your post.

He changed it.

I only recently discovered that it was a separate entity. I'd heard of it before, and thought it was just a branch of the BBC to show their programmes themselves over the pond; but not, apparently it's an entirely self-contained entity, showing mostly British TV (from all 4 terrestrial broadcasters) - and even then, far from all of them, where they prefer to remake things (generally worse)

IF you mean by separate entity, you mean its owned by BBC Worldwide, which is owned by BBC then sure. Thats like saying Diet Coke is a separate from Coke, or Bud Lite is separate from Budweiser.

While I know they have been a part of a few things, the only show real show that BBC America has done IIRC is "Copper". The only shows that are British are Star Trek TNG, and BSG.

I have seen the first 2 Ripper Street ep. It seems a whole lot like Copper, Very good acting, beautiful sets and customs, what seems to be the right type of dialogue, the right vibe, but I how it goes somewhere. Copper looked great, but kind of stalled.

Archived